What Us Visa Type Should I Try For Given These Facts:

What US Visa type should we try for given our unique set of circumstances? A follow up question is: Should we get married in Thailand before applying?

1. We have a 7-month old daughter born in Thailand. She is now an official US Citizen with a US passport.

2. I am currently legally employed in Thailand with a Work Permit/proper Visa. I can stay employed here until we get all this Visa stuff ironed out.

3. We are willing to get legally married either here in Thailand or the States.... whichever will make the Visa process go smoother.

Now common sense would seem to dictate that it's in the best interest of an infant US citizen to allow her biological mother to accompany her to the US ASAP, but I know common sense doesn't always prevail in these matters.

So... which road do you choose? Where do you marry? Which Visa type do you apply for?

Thanks!

Edited by FreedomDude

FREEDOM DUDE - junior has a US passport. U R the father (I presume & that passport is issued on the basis that u r a USA citizen?)

U r working in LOS legally (you have a WP).

I would say in anyevent the credentials are fairly solid - and getting a visa for the other half would be no more than a case of going thru the formalities (i.e. In my opinion it would be issued as the credentials are good).

Marrige would of course be the icing on the cake (in Thailand) and of course it would be based on the fact that she is your wife (the fact that junior is a USA citizen I would have thought would lend addditional credability), but otherwise it really has to be a "fiancee visa".

The best person(s) to answer that for you would be any other member who has been in that position - and I have been, but it was 20 years ago.

For what it worth, my other half already had her USA visa by that stage - we met at Uni in the USA, she on a students visa and myself a USA citizen - and until we got married (in Thailand) she was on her students visa. After that it was a straight forward process as after her student visa expired we were already married and the visa was issued quickly - on that basis.

She subsequently has become a USA citizen - in the days when one lept quiet about heir dual Thai/USA nationality as the Thai authorities were not comfortable with dual nationals who on the one hand had allegence to the king, but on the other hand were required to make a declleration of allegiance to Uncle Sam. Thast no longer the story as you may well know, and the Thai authorities have no issue with dual Thai/ USA citizens.

I am waffling on too much.

1st and best option in my opinion: get married problem solved.

2nd best option - and in reality not much behind (if at all - because of junior and your credentials i.e. WP): fiancee visa.

In both cases - I would foresee you having little problem getting it processed.

Good luck

Tim

FREEDOM DUDE - junior has a US passport. U R the father (I presume & that passport is issued on the basis that u r a USA citizen?)

Yes, I'm the father. Task #1 for me was to make her a US citizen and get her a Social Security number for 2 reasons:

1. 2006 US Income Taxes

2. I thought it might give my partner an edge in the Visa process. She's the biological mother of an infant US citizen. It's obviously in the best interest of an infant US citizen to allow her mother to go with her.

It looks like 2 people so far have indicated the fiancee visa to be the best method. Also, a guy who lives in our building told me I was lucky that I haven't gone ahead and married her here in Thailand, because he is currently married and having to wait a long time for his Visa....longer than if he had NOT gotten married here in Thailand.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone!

FreedomDude,

Look like you and I are in the same boat. In fact we posted similar questions at the same time...

I also have a 7 month old and not yet married. I want to remain in LOS but want my GF to have travel freedoms into the USA since she got denied already in June.

I've already applied for the fiancé visa but have no idea how long it will actually take.

Let's keep in touch and learn from each other.

What are your plans over the next 5 years? Stay in LOS or return to the states?

If you are planning to move to the US, you should get legally married here and submitt the I-130 application to BCIS in Bangkok. Wasn't there a thread here about a guy that got his wife a immigrant visa in a months by this route?

TH

Edited by thaihome

Hey sorry my thread wasnt getting any love and I have similar questions. Sorry for the intrusion.

I am getting married in March (in Thailand) and I want my wife to be able to visit for the summer of 2007 (may-aug) Then we will return, her as a professor at a uni, while I will attend there for my MBA.

So for the next 2 years we will be living in LOS but wanting to visit USA.

Is it smarter to get married in LOS or USA first, and what visa should I be looking at to bring her over.

Since we wont really be looking at her staying in the US LONG term until 2010 I guess 2015 will be when she is naturalized and dual citizen, at least it seems it takes that long...

thanks for the help.

Edited by BlackArtemis

• 9 months later...

Can the !-130 be paid for now and the application sent during the interview? What is the process? I have looked at the US Embassy site(s) and it says the price is US$185 and will increase to US$355 on July 30, 2007.

Just want the receipt and then submit if possible. There are no process instructions that I can find.

Any advice would help. Call the embassy get a computer and the web nothing much.

:o

Edited by ilyushin