Need way of entering Thailand every week/2weeks for a few days/week

My job is based in Singapore, and I work all over Asia but my wife and family are in Thailand so I have been travelling back to Thailand every weekend to see them and usually only staying for 2-3 days, but sometimes a week. I have been doing this on the basis of the 30d visa exemption entry (uk national) and never had any issues - until tonight.

At passport control at Swampy this evening, I was going for the normal 30d visa exemption entry, and the passport officer politely informed me that I'd reached a limit on such entries. I have never heard of any such limit, but she was very polite and showed me her computer screen effectively saying I had already hit this limit - though none of her fellow officers have ever even mentioned it. She did let me enter, but told me I must sort out a visa of some sort, despite my visits to Thailand never being more than a week.

I explained that my job is based in Singapore, and I work all over Asia but my wife and family are in Thailand but all she could suggest was that I get a Non O at my local immigration office (Korat). I thought you could only get a single entry one there - I patently need a multi-entry and thought I had to be back in UK to apply for them ? So 2 questions -

1. Anyone else ever heard of this limit on the 30d entries ?

2. Can I get a multi-entry O from the local immigration office ?

There is no limit on visa exempt entries. The immigration officer gets an alert when you reach 6 of them. The immigration officer should then check to see that you are not doing out/in visa runs to live here.

The cannot deny entry for having to many exempt entries. It can only done under section 12 of the immigration act.. The most common reason for denial is a lack financial proof and/or suspicion of working here.

• Like 1

There is no limit on visa exempt entries. The immigration officer gets an alert when you reach 6 of them. The immigration officer should then check to see that you are not doing out/in visa runs to live here.

The cannot deny entry for having to many exempt entries. It can only done under section 12 of the immigration act.. The most common reason for denial is a lack financial proof and/or suspicion of working here.

The op is living here so would need a non-immigrant visa according to the intention of the law.

The op is living here so would need a non-immigrant visa according to the intention of the law.

I see no where that he states he is living here. He spends most of his time in Singapore.

Can you supply a link to the law your mentioned.

I see no where that he states he is living here. He spends most of his time in Singapore.

Can you supply a link to the law your mentioned.

Since he is living here the easiest thing to do is to get a multi entry nonimmigrant visa in savanakhet.

• There is no limit to visa exempt entries, however, since August 2014 IO's can deny entry to "visa runners". Exactly what defines a "visa runner" is unclear, but the aim is to deny entry to those illegally working here.

For some time now IO's have been warning some visitors using visa exempt entries a lot to get a visa appropriate for their visit. Visa exempt entry is meant for tourism and someone married and with family seems now to be expected to get a non 'O' visa.

Visas can only be obtained at embassies/consulates outside Thailand. What the IO may have been referring to is a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage which you would get from a local immigration office after entering with a non 'O' visa.

• Like 1

Had a similar experience at Bangkok airport last week. Flew back to Bangkok after 4 days out the country.

Have a triple entry tourist visa from London in my passport (got it not long before they stopped issuing them) and was coming back to activate the second entry.

The officer (who was finding a problem with everyone in the queue in front of me) told me her computer had alerted her to me having had 4 visa extensions in the last year (I spent 9 months in Thailand last year on a triple entry visa).

I had to speak to the supervisor (very polite younger girl) and she asked what I was doing here. I explained I'm just a long term tourist who has a lot of free time and income from abroad (offered to show them documents to prove have overseas income / business registered and taxed abroad but she didn't want to see them).

She asked if I had any flights out of Thailand so showed a flight in 3 months time and another back to home country in August. That seems to satisfy her and she let me in but warned I "might" not get another extension or "maybe" I won't be allowed to use the final part of my triple entry.

There were no concrete answers from her on what the rule was on number of extensions or how many times you can visit Thailand in a certain period of time she just said next time I should go home and get a visa...pointed out DID go home and get a visa (I spent 4 months at home between times in Thailand) and that it was from London, This received no further explanation.

She also pointed out a stamp I received a Phnom Penh airport last time I flew there saying not to cross at land borders as I could have problem getting back in. Again it wasn't from a land border so that didn't make much sense.

I asked her what I should do to comply with all the rules and avoid being grilled at immigration when entering the country but again no concrete answers. So none the wiser as to what the situation is.

It's no major deal being asked some questions and the supervisor was very nice but it's not good to have it on the back of your mind that you may not be allowed into a country after travelling there. If the rules were clear I'd know how to stick to them and it wouldn't be an issue but no one can tell me what the rules are so it just leads to confusion.

Edited by TheSpade
  • Like 1

Had a similar experience at Bangkok airport last week. Flew back to Bangkok after 4 days out the country.

Have a triple entry tourist visa from London in my passport (got it not long before they stopped issuing them) and was coming back to activate the second entry.

The officer (who was finding a problem with everyone in the queue in front of me) told me her computer had alerted her to me having had 4 visa extensions in the last year (I spent 9 months in Thailand last year on a triple entry visa).

I had to speak to the supervisor (very polite younger girl) and she asked what I was doing here. I explained I'm just a long term tourist who has a lot of free time and income from abroad (offered to show them documents to prove have overseas income / business registered and taxed abroad but she didn't want to see them).

She asked if I had any flights out of Thailand so showed a flight in 3 months time and another back to home country in August. That seems to satisfy her and she let me in but warned I "might" not get another extension or "maybe" I won't be allowed to use the final part of my triple entry.

There were no concrete answers from her on what the rule was on number of extensions or how many times you can visit Thailand in a certain period of time she just said next time I should go home and get a visa...pointed out DID go home and get a visa (I spent 4 months at home between times in Thailand) and that it was from London, This received no further explanation.

She also pointed out a stamp I received a Phnom Penh airport last time I flew there saying not to cross at land borders as I could have problem getting back in. Again it wasn't from a land border so that didn't make much sense.

I asked her what I should do to comply with all the rules and avoid being grilled at immigration when entering the country but again no concrete answers. So none the wiser as to what the situation is.

It's no major deal being asked some questions and the supervisor was very nice but it's not good to have it on the back of your mind that you may not be allowed into a country after travelling there. If the rules were clear I'd know how to stick to them and it wouldn't be an issue but no one can tell me what the rules are so it just leads to confusion.

The rules are clear but their enforcement (as with most rules in Thailand) are somewhat random and very much depend on the individual enforcing rule. Challenging an incorrect enforcement will only make matters worse as the "enforcer" will then struggle to save face. Read about the Pattaya bridge players for a good example of this at work.

If the incorrect enforcement is a random event, best to comply, let the guy save face and try the same thing again. Chances are the rules will be correctly enforced next time. I was able to do visa exempt entries 3 or 4 times after being grilled and warned that I had to get a visa.

However, if a trend becomes apparent as with visa exempt entries, best to pay attention. This is what makes TV such a valuable tool for understanding Thai visa rules.

In the OPs case the trend would seem to be that Thailand does not want long term tourists unless they can comply with the terms of the METV. It remains to be seen if Thailand will issue back to back METVs or not.

Edited by mngmn

What is the total number of days, that you can stay in Thailand over a one year period; without getting any special visas.

Just do 30 day entries ?

In USA it is 180 days/year.

There is no written limit on 30 day visa exempt entries. But after several entries you can be questioned as to what your are doing.

Sometimes if you are coming regularly to Thailand like oil and gas workers you can be expected to be stopped sooner or later. You are then in the hands of the Immigration Office who hopefully can additions you of your opinions. Unfortunately it is always a worry.

Thank you, TheSpade (post #8), for your detaled report.

It is possible that you just met two xenophobic officers to make an issue without valid reasons.

However, I am feeling something from your report, so I just wish to flag a possibility that a new criterion might be being introduced (or has been introduced and we are just not aware of it) in order to produce an alert message in the immigration computer system. That is, if a visitor has done 4 or more extentions of permmission for stay in the last year, the system is to produce an alert.

This 4-time limit would roughly mean a 8-month period for visa exempt entries and a 12-month for tourist visa entries. Non-O entries might not be relevant for this limit.

This is just an assumption for my analysing other reports comming later on.

I have a similar situation and wonder if same rules would apply here. What if someone wasn't really waiting til the end of their visa or visa exempt periods but rather was flying in every weekend for multiple weekends, like the OP here. I live here in Thailand now and have no visa issues but what if I were to take a job in Hong Kong and then fly into Thailand on a visa exempt entry (with round trip tickets show flight back home) every Friday night and fly back home every Sunday night, and repeat this pretty consistently for all but maybe 1 month around Christmas and another month in the western summers, for a total of 40-something in and out 48 hour trips per year? Unlike the OP, I would likely be coming with my family, as we would all be resident in HK and none of us would be Thai, so the Non-O based on Thai wife or kids wouldn't be an option. Assume also I could show a home, a job and income and bank accounts in HK and also could show I own/rent a holiday home in Thailand. If someone were to be doing all of this and only coming in and out in Friday nights to Sunday nights, it seems that to get a 60 day visa in the "home country" of Hong Kong or Singapore wouldn't work because one would need 5 or 6 of them per year, and going to immigration offices in Thailand to get re-entry permits wouldn't work because they're not open on weekends anyway, So what options, other than an elite visa, exist for someone like this? Obviously this is the kind of tourist Thailand appears to want, one who just comes to an expensive beach villa and spends money in their free time. But if one had to spend lots of money on an elite visa, it makes more sense to have that weekend holiday beach spot in another country with equally good beaches that wouldn't care less if someone flew into their country for 40+ weekends per year.

Have a retirement visa,multiple exit so all well and good you would think. (wife and family here)

Still carry out a bit of consultancy work to keep me busy and earn some pocket money, so last year i spent approx 6 months in and out of the country.

Flew in last week from Turkey (visa valid to Oct) and pulled over at IM, politely t (NOT), told that they were going to revoke my Visa **....but then after a group discussion stamped me in for 90 days

When i asked why, i was waved away and dismissed like a little kid, of course i saw my butt and spat the dummy out,

Requested to see a supervisor, who eventually came and in all honesty i must say she was a lovely lady, when i informed her of my conversation with the officer at the desk she could not understand why they had said that. I informed her that i was advised by immigration to go this route as the 30 day at the airport was not suitable for me as i could end up exceeding the acceptable limit.

She then proceeded to check my passport on the computer and informed me that all was fine and not to worry, so i asked for her name as if this happened again i could refer to her, she was not to keen on that so no name.

It seems as if they make the rules up as they go along, no matter what you do they find a problem

Edited by thpon

I did FIFO for many years, and just used a tourist visa obtained at the airport. It was once suggested by the immigration officer that I needed something better, but never any problem.

I worked 24 days and 17 off.

I have now changed to a marriage visa, but when I was working the original arrangement was OK.

Sometimes if you are coming regularly to Thailand like oil and gas workers you can be expected to be stopped sooner or later. You are then in the hands of the Immigration Office who hopefully can additions you of your opinions. Unfortunately it is always a worry.

Yes, and yet these people behave themselves and contribute to the Thai economy. It is really souring the way people feel about the country.

Yes, and yet these people behave themselves and contribute to the Thai economy. It is really souring the way people feel about the country.

And they could care less unfortunately.

I'm really sorry guys (in particular UbonJoe and Elivalero - who's post I've seen before and respected) but you are wrong guys. There patently IS a limit on 30d visa exempt entries. As per my post, this was not a case of just meeting the wrong official (in fact, the opposite, she was kind and helpful). Simple fact of matter is the computer system flagged me as Red (she was kind enough to show me the screen) simply because I had hit some limit that I was (and still am) totally unaware of. So, please get your heads around that as fact and let's base our discussion around that as fact (albeit news to us all ...

I'm really sorry guys (in particular UbonJoe and Elivalero - who's post I've seen before and respected) but you are wrong guys. There patently IS a limit on 30d visa exempt entries. As per my post, this was not a case of just meeting the wrong official (in fact, the opposite, she was kind and helpful). Simple fact of matter is the computer system flagged me as Red (she was kind enough to show me the screen) simply because I had hit some limit that I was (and still am) totally unaware of. So, please get your heads around that as fact and let's base our discussion around that as fact (albeit news to us all ...

I think you haven't understood what ubonjoe and elviajero wrote. The computer flagging system may be new to you but not to them in fact more details about it were added. The computer is not the law it is meant to help identify people traveling often to Thailand visa exempt, It does not set limits.

The prove that there is no limit is that you have been allowed. Be reassured that wouldn't have happened if you weren't admissible by law.

• Like 2

Have a retirement visa,multiple exit so all well and good you would think. (wife and family here)

Still carry out a bit of consultancy work to keep me busy and earn some pocket money, so last year i spent approx 6 months in and out of the country.

Flew in last week from Turkey (visa valid to Oct) and pulled over at IM, politely t (NOT), told that they were going to revoke my Visa **....but then after a group discussion stamped me in for 90 days

So, what you are saying is that you had multi re-entry permit valid for a stay until October (original extension based on retirement) but immigrations arbitrarily stamped you in for ninety days?

So, what you are saying is that you had multi re-entry permit valid for a stay until October (original extension based on retirement) but immigrations arbitrarily stamped you in for ninety days?

He said multi entry visa. Some counsulates issue them for "retirement". in that case allowed 90 days is right. If he actually has an extension of stay 90 days is wrong but can be corrected at immigration office.

He said multi entry visa. Some counsulates issue them for "retirement". in that case allowed 90 days is right. If he actually has an extension of stay 90 days is wrong but can be corrected at immigration office.

If he had a multi-entry non-OA which is the visa they issue abroad for retirement, it should be a one-year entry. If he had a multi-entry non-O, then you are absolutely correct (and I suspect that's the case now that you mention it).

As it stands there is no limit for visa exempt entries except at a few land borders that have problems with illegal workers.

A limit of 90 days in any 180 days was introduced in 2006 but cancelled in 2008. In 2008 they reduced the 30 day visa exempt entry down to 15 days but later increased it back to 30 days for G7 countries. Malaysians crossing the Thai/Malaysian border also get 30 days. Since then there have been no changes.

However, the immigration system now flags people that have frequent visa exempt entires to help IO's identify people not using it for tourism. IO's then have the choice whether or not to interview the visitor and question them about their activities in Thailand. If the IO is satisfied that you are visiting for tourism they will let you in. If not they can refuse entry under sections 12/16 of the immigration act. Any refusal would not be based on x number of entries and could happen after any number of entries.

Edited by elviajero

whistling.gif When you are using 30 day visa exempt entries often an alert will be shown on the immigration computer after 6 entries.

You are likely to be taken aside and asked....hopefully politely.... exactly why you are using those visa exempt entries and may be asked to show prof of funds in Thailand.

This is to prevent those who are illegally work in Thailand without a visa and work permit and who often use visa exempt entries to enter Thailand on a regular basis.

That alert is not a reason to be denied entry to Thailand..... but just an alert to immigration of repeated visa exempt entries so they can check.

If you are married to a Thai and living here in Thailand it would probably be best to get a marriage visa/extension from your local immigration good for one year and renewable annually. At the same time buy a multi re-entry permit got for the year period of that marriage visa/extension.

This marriage visa/extension is not free....you would need

• 400 Thai Baht in a Thai bank account
  • OR proof of 40K monthly

Along with marriage license and other required documents.

Once you have it, it needs to renewed annually.

No limitation on how many times you enter each year....that is what the multi entry re-entry permit (cost 3900 Baht) is for.

I have now changed to a marriage visa, but when I was working the original arrangement was OK.

------------------------------

Another poster has apparently already done some thing similar.....using a marriage visa

I disagree with the idea that land borders are more strict than airports. Actually, some land borders only see backpackers and quickly stamp your passport while on the phone or talking to their other colleagues. At airports they are stricter because they have all the resources necessary - at land borders they don't necessarily have these resources.

I disagree with the idea that land borders are more strict than airports. Actually, some land borders only see backpackers and quickly stamp your passport while on the phone or talking to their other colleagues. At airports they are stricter because they have all the resources necessary - at land borders they don't necessarily have these resources.

They probably are not more strict other than for doing a out/in for a visa exempt entry at some border crossings.

But the big problem at border crossings they do not follow the procedures for a denial of entry that they have to do at airports. They often tell people no without doing a denial of entry stamp that would have to be done at an airport. People at a border will just accept the no, turnaround and return to the other country.

But the big problem at border crossings they do not follow the procedures for a denial of entry that they have to do at airports. They often tell people no without doing a denial of entry stamp that would have to be done at an airport. People at a border will just accept the no, turnaround and return to the other country.

That is not necessarily a bad thing. A denial of entry stamp can be a cause of more problems later entering Thailand or other countries in the region.

That is not necessarily a bad thing. A denial of entry stamp can be a cause of more problems later entering Thailand or other countries in the region.

The point is that in many cases at a border crossing there would be no denial of entry it they followed procedures.