Where to get a good silent fan

vento

I never had a fan before, but recently bought one. It was one of these Hatari you see everywhere in flashy modern orange and green-ish colours smile.png. The one i bought was a medium sized one.. Maybe the second smallest in the shop and/or product line up.

It wasnt expensive, and it does produce quite a good airflow, but its noisy and to be honest, even the lowest setting, produce to much air and noise.

(it would have been nice with a know to adjust the airflow (and noise) setting)

Question is. I want to find a small Fan which are silent and does not produce to much airflow.

And yea.. i have tried to ask in the shop... well... need i tell how that went??? smile.png

So, where to find a good small silent Fan, possibly one with variable speed setting.

Much appriciated if anyone have some information regarding this subject.

Cheers

This question has been asked before on this forum.

You want a quiet one and small .... contradictive.

For enough airflow and low noise , you need a big fan at low speed.

Thai fans nearly always come in 3 speeds . Put a large enough capacitor in series with one of the power cables and a switch over the capacitor and voilà : 6 speeds with a quiet , soft breeze at speed nr 1. ( Plastic cap , no electrolite one , suitable for 240 V ac , depending on the motor power around 4,7 to 10 uF). Capacitor acts like a lossless resistor and limits the amps to the motor.

Hatari make a lot of noise. have 1x 18" 2x 22" and a 25" all are noisy.

The only fan I cannot hear on setting 1 is a 18" Panasonic and just hear on setting 3. + it is 12 years old next month.. ! [ March 2004 was a free gift with the large Panasonic Fridge which packed up last year]

have 2x 14" Troy, make a little noise but nothing like the Hatari fans

Take the noisy fan back to the shop and exchange it or get a refund, there is obviously something wrong with it. I have a 2 year old Hatari fan on five feet away as I write this and the only sound from it is the sound of the blowing air, no motor or any other noise at all.

Maybe the orange and green ones are noisier than the grey and white models.