Julian Assange warns of ‘consequences if detention continues’

rooster59

.....but where to go.....

...the price one pays for heroics sometimes is.......

Dubai is a popular tourist "political refugee" destination nowadays ... but only if you have squillions to pay for it ...

Not when you've embarrassed their ruling family by releasing confidential cables it isn't.

They'd have him on a plane in a second, and there wouldn't be any extradition hearing either.

Seems like 90 % are missing the fact that Assange is dodging a trial for sexual assaulting 2 Swedish women . His excuse of not defending himself in court is fear of extradition to the U.S. That is the most obscure excuse for not standing trial and facing your accusers. Sweden has very strict extradition laws - just ask the more than 1.000 Americans that sought refuge there instead of joining the Vietnam war.

I might not agree with with the accusations but the Scandinavian countries are very strict on "the woman's right to say no at any time during the act". According to one woman, he kept on having unprotected sex with her after she asked him to stop and put on a condom. He declined and "forcefully" spread her legs and continued the intercourse. By law, that is rape in the Nordic countries. Agree or not - same as in Thailand. Here you can get charged with rape if you have had consensual sex with somebody under 18 if they or their families later file a complaint with the police. These complaints are by the way often solved with paying a settlement to the families involved.

Yes but neither woman "realised" they'd been raped until they discussed it with each other a couple of days later, and then they told..... a journalist.

Bit suspect don't you think?

Edited by Chicog

Even more suspect when the Swedish police questioned Assange (i take it the people baying for his blood on rape charges are actually aware of this?), and the Swedish prosecuter said 'no case' , at which point the Justice Minister who has huge business ties in the USA immediately fired the prosecuter and replaced her with the extreme feminist rights Prosecuter we have today in Sweden. Very suspect indeed.

What a pisss poor effort from the Australian Governments, not just the current one.

It's funny how western nations pick and choose which international laws they obey and which ones they do not.

Next time, Australia, UK, Sweeden or any other of the nations involve criticise North Korea or who ever, I hope the response mentions Julian Assange.

Exactly. Gillard, the PM at the time wanted him hung drawn and quartered, until it was pointed out that he has not broken any australian law and she had to eat humble pie.

I guess he isnt as important as schapelle corby.

Shapelle had vote potential, Assange didn't. Aside from that the US wanted him, probably via their vassal Sweden, so naturally another vassal Australia wipes their hands of him as directed.

Seems to be a few strange twists to Assange, he was in Sweden and they didn't even want to talk to him about the allegations, something happened later to make them change their minds (US?). Seems the charges are a bit flaky.

Regardless when the establishment wants you they will get you one way or another, doubt the UN opinion will help. They can't nab Snowden so Assange is the best best for a public flogging to warn off whistle blowers about exposing state crimes and the sociopaths behind them.

Assange, Putin, Snowden, Wikileaks, Ecuador, are a club of poker faces.

Assange is being investigated in the United States in respect of state secrets and Snowden is under indictment in the US for espionage. Putin being Putin makes him guilty beyond any and all reasonable doubt.

Assange bellows about "consequences" yet Putin is helpless to assist him, the Wikileaks-Putin-Assange connection and support long ago exposed. Assange actually had a talk show in Russia given to him by Putin.

It's all over but the sentencing.

The problem for UK and Sweden is that if they ignore the UN ruling it undermines their credibility next time they criticize some dictatorial government for unlawful detention, and there have been some high profile examples.
"The UN's Working Group on Arbitrary Detention is made up of five legal experts from around the world.
Established in 1991, it has made hundreds of rulings on whether imprisonment or detention is lawful.
High profile complainants include Washington Post journalist Jason Rezaian, who was released in Iran last month.
It also offered an opinion on former pro-democracy President Mohamed Nasheed, released in the Maldives last year, and Myanmar party leader, Aung San Suu Kyi."

Glad to see that now, according to you, Israel is not the only one to ignore the UN, and the

UK and Sweden is now also unlawfully detaining people, pity that they didn't torture Assange,

otherwise the comparison with Israel would be complete...

Beside, how is an unlawful detention, if he choose to go there in the first place, and stay there?......

I quite agree. I condemn all 3 governments. 3 wrongs dont make a right.

It's unlawful detention because if he steps one foot outside the embassy he will be detained, possibly for life if extradited to USA.

Those of you calling Assange a sleaze ball etc deserve to live in a police state.

For a brief summary read this by John Pilger:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article44138.htm

If you do not know of John Pilger then look him up.

Have a look here at people you do know, namely Julian Assange, Vladimir Putin, Edward Snowden, Wikileaks staff, Russian secret police, Ecuador sleazebag politicians and crackdowns on pro-democracy demonstrators not to mention the CCP Dictators.

http://www.businessinsider.com/snowden-assange-wikileaks-and-russia-2013-8

US Court of Appeals has upheld the federal government in its national security investigation of Wikileaks and Assange as being a state secret. It's even more of a secret however in Russia where Putin is the law in favor of Assange.

Yes, and Congress was pressured by public outcry against such broad gathering on citizen information without any civilian court oversight or court issued warrant.

Nope, I do not favour living in a U.S. who, like China declares security and maintaing of peace trumps (purposeful usage) Constitutional civil rights.

The problem for UK and Sweden is that if they ignore the UN ruling it undermines their credibility next time they criticize some dictatorial government for unlawful detention, and there have been some high profile examples.
"The UN's Working Group on Arbitrary Detention is made up of five legal experts from around the world.
Established in 1991, it has made hundreds of rulings on whether imprisonment or detention is lawful.
High profile complainants include Washington Post journalist Jason Rezaian, who was released in Iran last month.
It also offered an opinion on former pro-democracy President Mohamed Nasheed, released in the Maldives last year, and Myanmar party leader, Aung San Suu Kyi."

Glad to see that now, according to you, Israel is not the only one to ignore the UN, and the

UK and Sweden is now also unlawfully detaining people, pity that they didn't torture Assange,

Beside, how is an unlawful detention, if he choose to go there in the first place, and stay there?......

It's unlawful detention because if he steps one foot outside the embassy he will be detained, possibly for life if extradited to USA.

Strictly supposition.

He MAY be detained by the British authorities for jumping bail. He MIGHT be detained due to the EU warrant from Sweden and he POSSIBLY could be detained for life by any country that has an extradition threaty with either the UK or Sweden.

To the best knowledge of the rest of the world, ouside yours of course, there is no proof the third possibility even exists.

Come back when you have some facts.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35504237

Assange is being investigated by the US Government in respect of state secrets and he is being investigated by authorities in Sweden for possible criminal violations.

The two are each legitimate governments seeking to sit face to face with Assange to pose questions in respect of duly enacted laws which the governments are responsible to enforce.

Assange is of his own choice and decision actively evading and avoiding being questioned by either government in either respect.

There is nothing illegal about the government of the USA or that of Sweden in pursuing the laws of each. The USA especially and in particular has a serious case of state secrets and national security to pursue in respect of Assange.

People in either country or any country get detained and questioned all the time, sometimes voluntarily and in some instances under their own steam.

Assange has the equal opportunity to present himself to authorities rather than to hibernate in the diplomatic office of another government in yet another country.

What a pisss poor effort from the Australian Governments, not just the current one.

It's funny how western nations pick and choose which international laws they obey and which ones they do not.

Next time, Australia, UK, Sweeden or any other of the nations involve criticise North Korea or who ever, I hope the response mentions Julian Assange.

The U.N. Panel isn't legally binding, but the European warrant is, and even when that expires there's the matter of jumping bail on the UK that he will be arrested for.

Arrange dug himself a hole five years ago and hasn't stopped digging since.

Assange did get himself into this position and it probably started more than 5 years ago.......what was he thinking? Surely not that he could keep 'outing governments' and get away with it.

I am well aware that it's not legally binding but I'm also aware that if I had carried my duties as sloppily and as corruptly as this, that I'd still be 'doing time' for my efforts. This is a political witch hunt, nothing more, nothing less.

If he had his smarts and some reliable contacts, he should leave in the middle of the night while Europe is bleeding refugees and he might just disappear into the crowd.

It's still a pisss poor effort on behalf of the Australian government.

And what of his behavior in the rape and sexual assault(s) investigation? Why did he refuse to respond to the complaint?

If I understand your line of reasoning, the sex crimes need not be addressed.

Assange, Putin, Snowden, Wikileaks, Ecuador, are a club of poker faces. Assange is being investigated in the United States in respect of state secrets and Snowden is under indictment in the US for espionage. Putin being Putin makes him guilty beyond any and all reasonable doubt. Assange bellows about "consequences" yet Putin is helpless to assist him, the Wikileaks-Putin-Assange connection and support long ago exposed. Assange actually had a talk show in Russia given to him by Putin. It's all over but the sentencing.

David Petraeus pleads guilty to espionage and the illegal release of classified documents and gets probation and a fine.

I'm thinking what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Assange should be tried in absentia, and like the good ex-general, given 6 months probation and a 100K fine.

Even better, now that the sentencing precedent has been set with the ex-general Petraeus, all individuals being investigated for espionage and releasing classified documents should be allowed the option to plead guilty to their crimes, and sentencing should now be established at a maximum of six months probation and 100K fine. Assange could leave the embassy, Snowden could come home, Hillery could get out from under the cloud of having classified documents on a private server, General Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice's staffers could come clean on having classified information in their private emails. Happy ending for everyone. clap2.gif

Edited by connda

Assange, Putin, Snowden, Wikileaks, Ecuador, are a club of poker faces. Assange is being investigated in the United States in respect of state secrets and Snowden is under indictment in the US for espionage. Putin being Putin makes him guilty beyond any and all reasonable doubt. Assange bellows about "consequences" yet Putin is helpless to assist him, the Wikileaks-Putin-Assange connection and support long ago exposed. Assange actually had a talk show in Russia given to him by Putin. It's all over but the sentencing.

David Petraeus pleads guilty to espionage and the illegal release of classified documents and gets probation and a fine.

Assange should be tried in absentia, and like the good ex-general, given 6 months probation and a 100K fine.

Even better, now that the sentencing precedent has been set with the ex-general Petraeus, all individuals being investigated for espionage and releasing classified documents should be allowed the option to plead guilty to their crimes, and sentencing should now be established at a maximum of six months probation and 100K fine. Assange could leave the embassy, Snowden could come home, Hillery could get out from under the cloud of having classified documents on a private server, General Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice's staffers could come clean on having classified information in their private emails. Happy ending for everyone. clap2.gif

A neat and tight story appropriate to the annual youth camp of rightwhingers so thx for the looksee at it.

The one loose end however is to include HR Clinton in the same category as Gen. Petraeus. After months of considering whether to take away the general's stars, it was decided just last week he could keep them, all four of 'em.

Former SecState Clinton's circumstance is unrelated and radically different.

Nice story though.

A neat and tight story appropriate to the annual youth camp of rightwhingers so thx for the looksee at it.

The one loose end however is to include HR Clinton in the same category as Gen. Petraeus. After months of considering whether to take away the general's stars, it was decided just last week he could keep them, all four of 'em.

Nice story though.

"The law doth punish man or woman

That steals the goose from off the

common,

But lets the greater felon loose,

That steals the common from the

goose."

-Anonymous, 1764, England

And what of his behavior in the rape and sexual assault(s) investigation? Why did he refuse to respond to the complaint?

If I understand your line of reasoning, the sex crimes need not be addressed.

I don't believe he has refused to respond to the complaint.

He's simply refused to respond to it in Sweden.

In fact for a long time he offered to talk to the investigators in London, but Sweden refused.

Nice story though.

common,

goose."

Cute quote to go with the nice story thx. It is a quote almost anyone can agree to and appreciate regardless of political view. Interpretation and how one chooses to apply it and all of that.

You ought to be sure to get it translated to Russian so Putin can read it and in Spanish (Latina) so the Ecuadorians can read it....and don't forget the CCP Dictators in Beijing who favor Mandarin and Edward Snowden.

Putin's support of Assange is strong to the point Vlad gave Julian a tv talk show in Russia and had called on Assange and Wikileaks staff to personally escort Edward Snowden to Moscow (from hiding in Hong Kong).

Tight those three -- Putin, Assange, Wikileaks. Too bad for Julian his pal Putin is helpless in this. Still, Putin has plenty of polonium on hand.

Nice story though.

common,

goose."

Cute quote to go with the nice story thx. It is a quote almost anyone can agree to and appreciate regardless of political view. Interpretation and how one chooses to apply it and all of that.

You ought to be sure to get it translated to Russian so Putin can read it and in Spanish (Latina) so the Ecuadorians can read it....and don't forget the CCP Dictators in Beijing who favor Mandarin and Edward Snowden.

Putin's support of Assange is strong to the point Vlad gave Julian a tv talk show in Russia and had called on Assange and Wikileaks staff to personally escort Edward Snowden to Moscow (from hiding in Hong Kong).

Tight those three -- Putin, Assange, Wikileaks. Too bad for Julian his pal Putin is helpless in this. Still, Putin has plenty of polonium on hand.

sounds like just another conspiracy theory to megiggle.gif

Once in a while a statement comes along without facts. The statement is instead arbitrary, broad, of no depth or informational value.

Conversely, there are facts....

Julian Assange Starts Talk Show on Russian TV

www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/arts/television/julian...

Julian Assange, Edward Snowden hypocrites over Vladimir Putin ...

www.smh.com.au/comment/julian-assange...putin...2wx5n.html

There is much to be said for the biblical injunction ''You shall know them by their fruits''. The warning is appropriate to Julian Assange and Edward Snowden, who ...

Julian Assange Live, brought to you by the Kremlin

"It was all a bit rich: Assange, self-described defender of the free flow of information, working in the service of the Kremlin, which has been notorious in its suppression of the media and demonstrations for greater freedom of expression."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/julian-assange-live-brought-to-you-by-the-kremlin/article4100800/

WikiLeaks' Julian Assange and Kremlin TV:...

blogs.voanews.com/russia-watch/2012/01/27/wikileaks...

Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks transparency advocate and leaker of about 115,000 confidential U.S. government emails, has found a new home: a talk show on RT, or ...

Edited by Publicus

Once in a while a statement comes along without facts. The statement is instead arbitrary, broad, of no depth or informational value.

There is much to be said for the biblical injunction ''You shall know them by their fruits''. The warning is appropriate to Julian Assange and Edward Snowden, who ...

"It was all a bit rich: Assange, self-described defender of the free flow of information, working in the service of the Kremlin, which has been notorious in its suppression of the media and demonstrations for greater freedom of expression."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/julian-assange-live-brought-to-you-by-the-kremlin/article4100800/

Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks transparency advocate and leaker of about 115,000 confidential U.S. government emails, has found a new home: a talk show on RT, or ...

Reading your posts on these issues ever since the Snowdon affair, it is no surprise that you do not extend to Julian Assange the same respect to which other journalists are entitled. I am surprised that you take an ideological slant on this. I can accept nativism but I do believe there are more universal issues at play here. Privacy, freedom of information, freedom of journalists, over-reach by the national security state etc. I do believe a number of these are being lost in your attacks on Assange as I think they were in your attacks on Snowdon.

Reading your posts on these issues ever since the Snowdon affair, it is no surprise that you do not extend to Julian Assange the same respect to which other journalists are entitled. I am surprised that you take an ideological slant on this. I can accept nativism but I do believe there are more universal issues at play here. Privacy, freedom of information, freedom of journalists, over-reach by the national security state etc. I do believe a number of these are being lost in your attacks on Assange as I think they were in your attacks on Snowdon.

Assange is a Putin operative.

I'd pointed this out in the current threads on the most recent developments of the Assange self-imprisonment.

Wikileaks escorted Edward Snowden to Moscow from his having been hidden in Hong Kong after he fled the United States where he is charged with espionage.

Assange, Putin, Wikileaks, Snowden. The CCP Dictators in Beijing got the very hot potato Snowden out of their baileywick of HKG asap so Snowden only made a drop off of documents there.

Consequently, all of this presently centered on Julian Assange is classic state security and national security. This instance and the major principals do not rise to the level of concern over a security state in the contemporary meaning of the term. It is a plain old fashioned basic case of national security and espionage by a self-appointed mole who escaped to the other side.

Assange fled; Snowden fled. Moscow and Beijing have their secrets. In the instance of Assange and Wikileaks, they are secrets disclosed. In respect of Snowden, vital top secret national security data, programs, policies are in Moscow and Beijing. This is not Big Brother. It is parenticide.

Assange is a Putin operative.

I'd pointed this out in the current threads on the most recent developments of the Assange self-imprisonment.

Wikileaks escorted Edward Snowden to Moscow from his having been hidden in Hong Kong after he fled the United States where he is charged with espionage.

Assange, Putin, Wikileaks, Snowden. The CCP Dictators in Beijing got the very hot potato Snowden out of their baileywick of HKG asap so Snowden only made a drop off of documents there.

Consequently, all of this presently centered on Julian Assange is classic state security and national security. This instance and the major principals do not rise to the level of concern over a security state in the contemporary meaning of the term. It is a plain old fashioned basic case of national security and espionage by a self-appointed mole who escaped to the other side.

Assange fled; Snowden fled. Moscow and Beijing have their secrets. In the instance of Assange and Wikileaks, they are secrets disclosed. In respect of Snowden, vital top secret national security data, programs, policies are in Moscow and Beijing. This is not Big Brother. It is parenticide.

I will not argue these points although I do not support your view. It could be argued that Putin is Assange's tool. I have read about his life and his objectives and i believe he represents far more than you allow. Similarly with Snowden and Chelsea Manning. I believe your focus on this as espionage is too reductionist and leading you down blind alleys and cut-de-sacs.

I take comfort that some legitimate international organisations agree with me.

There are few matters of a greater importance than national security so to allege reductionism is far off the mark.

Nothing concerning Julian Assange presents him as an independent or respected journalist. Putin gave Assange a tv talk show in Russia. Wiki leaks escorted Snowden to Moscow from his Hong Kong hiding spot.

There is btw minimum international community interest or participation in Assange or his currently ongoing circumstance. The UN group despite its important mission could only indirectly interpret a Swedish law that could be binding only however if and or but.

The only consequences here are to Assange and they are self driven.