Because I'm happy: Thailand rated world’s ‘happiest economy’ in Misery Index

rooster59

Because I'm happy: Thailand rated world’s ‘happiest economy’ in Misery Index

post-247607-0-41053200-1454718758_thumb.

Maybe PM Prayuth Chan-ocha's 'Return Happiness' song did the trick? Photo: Reuters

BANGKOK: PM Prayuth's "Return Happiness" song must be working wonders, because Thailand has been rated the “happiest economy” in the world after it came at the bottom of a “misery ranking” for global economies.

The Bloomberg Misery Index 2016 predicts that Thailand will retain its bottom place of the miserable economies this year because of continuing low unemployment and inflation.

The index was compiled by surveying economists and looking at economic data for inflation and unemployment.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/05/because-im-happy-thailand-rated-worlds-happiest-economy-misery-index

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-01-06

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, from the outside looking in, yes, Thais seems to be ' happy, ' seems, is the operative word here,

live in Thailand for good few months or so, and the ' happy ' will not look so happy anymore....

but than again, there're, many, many worse place on earth than Thailand, and this is why we're all

still here.....

The rate of unemployment would be a bit problematical I would think, given that so many are involve in farming and informal small scale business activities, so how does anybody know, out of the activities I just mentioned, who is employed or not.

"happiness" is a totally subjective concept and any attempt to measure will inevitably turn out to be a load of B*********x

Not to mention that the figures these 'experts' are given are all dodgy. Low unemployment relates to low reporting of unemployment A country in denial.

How many Thais were surveyed for their opinion?

It wasn't based on survey data. Instead, it was calculated by adding a country's jobless rate and inflation.

The challenge is in estimating joblessness in a highly agrarian economy like Thailand.

"happiness" is a totally subjective concept and any attempt to measure will inevitably turn out to be a load of B*********x

Not to mention that the figures these 'experts' are given are all dodgy. Low unemployment relates to low reporting of unemployment A country in denial.

No, I think them mean unemployed and looking for work. As if one is wanting to work and has no job.

You can see the anger ready to explode just beneath that smiling exterior.

I guess if the new draft constitution is acceptable to him then it is beyond question, very bad for people to question his judgement, one mans opinion must be correct, no wonder he is angry.

Democracy is in the eye of the beholder, in this case a one man enlightened beholder. wai2.gif

Bloombergs can't be taken seriously because they never do research. Toss a few graphs and j curves on the table and make a story out of it.

Its impossible to even remotely estimate unemployment or even employment in Thailand.

There are millions of people in LOS working in marginal PT jobs or working illegally ie prostitution. Thailand doesnt have the infrastructure or logistical know how to calculate anything accurately.

Thousands of young Thai men dont want to work so their family supports him.

There is no unemployment benefit in Thailand so how can you calculate anything.

Bloombergs can't be taken seriously because they never do research. Toss a few graphs and j curves on the table and make a story out of it.

Its impossible to even remotely estimate unemployment or even employment in Thailand.

There are millions of people in LOS working in marginal PT jobs or working illegally ie prostitution. Thailand doesnt have the infrastructure or logistical know how to calculate anything accurately.

Thousands of young Thai men dont want to work so their family supports him.

There is no unemployment benefit in Thailand so how can you calculate anything.

I think if Thai working girls had Burmese pimps then the Thai rate of men unemployed might multiply.wai2.gif

Those who are familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of (human) needs will understand. The physiological (food & drink etc.) needs, the need for safety and security and need for love & belonging have to be fulfilled to a certain degree first. These are are far more important than the esteem needs.
Individual freedom and democracy belong in the next (3rd) level which are the needs for self esteem and self respect.

Archived