Finding Molly May

Gonzo the Face

About a couple months ago , while on a shopping outing, I bought for Ms G some mayonaise. The brand name was Molly Mayonaise. I had never heard of the brand but it was handy, so to keep peace in the family, I bought it. We usually use Heinz Mayo, which somehow doesn't seem to be around anymore. Well as luck would have it , Ms G thought the Molly was just the greatest. Now the problem, and of course it has nothing to do with age, but I can't for the life of me remember where I bought it..... I have visited all of the possible places that I can think of that I possibly shopped and cannot find it . I thought maybe it didn't exist as that name but it does.....

Does anyone know where Molly Mayonaise or Heinz for that matter can be bought??

I've never seen Heinz mayonnaise on sale here, but would buy it if I saw it. Their made-in-UK "Sandwich Spread" is great stuff, and worth the 2x price of the local guck. In the US I always bought Best Foods Real Mayonnaise (labeled "Hellman's" East of Mississippi) because it is...THE BEST. However, here they sell Best Foods "Mayo", which is much too sweet and runny, the same way Thai "mayo" is. "Mayo" is not MAYONNAISE. If I had a blender I would hunt up old recipes on the 'net, of which there are many, and make my own, with fresh eggs and the finest oil.

You might try 'Kewpie' brand, Japan's most popular. I was a Hellman's user until I tried Kewpie and I'll never go back. It comes in a squeeze container that is very handy,

Good taste, good consistency.... and you can find it in all the supermarkets these days.

Molly is usually available in Rim Ping. I have seen it elsewhere.

Like Thai Best Foods mayo in the large bags, Rim Ping, at least, apparently does not have a turn over rate established and, therefore, does not have standing order. So any of the mayo brands may be there one day and not the next time I look.

As CMKiwi alluded, I check all brands for contents. I found one brand might have two types labeled mayo, one with figuratively lots of sugar compared to their 3% or less version.

Kewpie , Best foods , Remia , Heinz and Makro house brand Aro are all good.

Seen the Molly brand at Rimping Mahidon today but only thousand island salad cream, think the mayonnaise was out of stock because there was a price tag on the shelf.

I am surprised do, that you not make your own mayo Gonzo.

Mayonnaise cans serve several different functions.

If I'm going to be eating something where mayo is used more as a 'dip' and so more noticeable, I'll make my own. It's really pretty easy.

But if it's being used more as a 'sealer' to 'waterproof' bread from sauces on a sandwich's wet ingredients, or as a binder in a tuna or crab salad where the flavor isn't so noticeable, I'll use Kewpie just because it's so convenient.

I wonder if others do the same?

Seen the Molly brand at Rimping Mahidon today but only thousand island salad cream, think the mayonnaise was out of stock because there was a price tag on the shelf.

If I'm going to be eating something where mayo is used more as a 'dip' and so more noticeable, I'll make my own. It's really pretty easy.

But if it's being used more as a 'sealer' to 'waterproof' bread from sauces on a sandwich's wet ingredients, or as a binder in a tuna or crab salad where the flavor isn't so noticeable, I'll use Kewpie just because it's so convenient.

I think the problem is that there is one word - mayonnaise - to describe 2 very different products. The original, French mayonnaise is more of a sauce. The American style mayonnaise is more of a spread. They can both be delicious or not, depending on what they contain.

And I think the Kewpie with no sugar added is the best I've found. At least it has the highest egg content.

I think the problem is that there is one word - mayonnaise - to describe 2 very different products. The original, French mayonnaise is more of a sauce. The American style mayonnaise is more of a spread. They can both be delicious or not, depending on what they contain.

And I think the Kewpie with no sugar added is the best I've found. At least it has the highest egg content.

Sorry to be a pedant but mayonnaise originated in Mahon, Menorca which is Spain.

Waterproofer - I like that, it's a perfect description.

Growing up we didn't have mayo, along with posh veggies (or pumpkins, which were grown only for pigs) and foreign ingredients it just wasn't a thing in the industrial north, neither were burgers much apart from the awful Wimpy ones and certainly no US chains. I started making my own after seeing something on TV from cosmopolitan London. It was years later, when we lived in NZ that I first had bottled mayo (I'd had burgers from chains by then but if there was mayo on them the taste would have been well mingled in with the rest). It was being used as a dip at a barbie, I assumed it was French onion or something. It took all of my 'mother looking over my shoulder' restraint not to spit it out. I warned Mr K off it, but he had to try it and disliked it as much as I did. I didn't want to say anything so I didn't ask what it was; it was weeks later when I saw an ad for mayo that the penny dropped and I realised what it was. Certainly not like any mayo I've ever made, but at least it wasn't noticeably sweet - I've been caught out a few times with it in Asia and you could almost put chocolate sprinkles on it and call it pudding.