Of All The Choices...

I'm a 35yo Australian guy who's traveled to Thailand many times, and have now finally decided to bite the bullet and call Thailand home.

Seems I picked a lousy time to do it...I moved here on 1st of September. Whilst I did always intend to look to a better visa option than a Tourist Visa and/or visa free entry, I didn't expect it to become a matter of urgency.

I have read many posts here over the past month or more seeking the best solution. Seems individual experiences can vary enourmously and very few posts actually compare various solutions.

I have sufficient capital invested in Australia to give me more than enough of an income to live comfortably here. I don't need to work here and to be honest, I don't want to. I'd ideally like to keep the process as simple as possible. I'd rather avoid maintaining company books and do annual returns etc.

I would ideally like to get onto a yearly visa that would make me eligible for Permanent Residency after 3 years...I see this as being more stable than potentially ever changing visa rules. Now comes the difficult part...my choices would appear to be;

1. Non-Imm B: This would appear to be a cumbersome and bureaucratic path where I may ultimately have to remit money to Thailand from Australia and claim it to be business income in order to create the facade of an export business to retain the visa. This would appear to open me up to the Thai tax system which I'd also rather avoid if possible. I've heard of a 3 year Non-Imm B. If such a thing exists (or indeed if I could get a yearly visa for 3 consecutive years), would it be practical to hold this for 3 years and then apply for PR without ever having held a Work Permit and paid tax (I would have been here on business and not employed here).

2. Non-Imm O: It would seem easier to meet the requirements with this option, though can't say that I feel ready to take the plunge and get married again at this point in my life. Though I guess if I did feel like getting married in the future, Non-Imm O could take over from whatever visa I'm on at the time.

3. Non-Imm ED: One of my plans has been to do some study...Thai Language initially, and Asian History and Anthropology are also of interest. I'm not sure how feasible this option will be. Will I become eligible for PR after 3 years? I read somewhere that this option would mean no required border runs every 90 days...is this the case?

4. Investment: Seems that a 3 Million investment no longer secures a Visa. Are there other options? Opportunity cost on this option would seem to be quite high.

5. APEC Business Travel Card: I might be able to (with some fiddling) become elligble for an APEC Business Travel Card. Whilst this would seem to give me easy entry every 90 days, it doesn't make me eligible for PR.

6. Elite Card: This solution seems to cop a lot of ridicule and 1 Million is not a small sum of money. If I could be sure that my Visa problems would be solved for life, then I might just be able to justify it. Trouble is, I haven't seen confirmation anywhere that I would be entitled to PR after 3 years on an Elite Card. (I do realise that with PR, I'd lose the Elite Card).

Am I correct in my summing up of options available to someone under 50yo? I'm sure this would apply to many others who are financially independent and wish to effectively retire. All constructive comments are most welcome.

Of the listed options only the ED path with perhaps a doctorate degree would be likely to lead to PR. Unless you are well known for other reasons the non payment of tax here would probably rule out much chance of PR. So if that is the goal business is probably your best bet.

Hi Lopburi - do you know of anyone who has got a phd from a thai university and got PR ? I know that the senior members of most universities in thailand are well connected and if they like you could make things happen. You would be seen to be making a big contribution to Thailand too - and from past experience I dont think that it would be too hard if motivated and genuinely interested and I can think of plenty of research topics that would be very popular. The standard of research in 2nd tier Thai universities is quite different from that in the UK.

I too would like a route to PR and making a good contribution to Thailand (apart from paying the Gov alot of tax) as well would be a bonus. My problem is I have a PhD all ready - still it would be good to have another then I could be PhD squared !

Of the listed options only the ED path with perhaps a doctorate degree would be likely to lead to PR. Unless you are well known for other reasons the non payment of tax here would probably rule out much chance of PR. So if that is the goal business is probably your best bet.

I am not an ivy hall type so will leave others to answer - but as you point out it is the idea that you contribute that will help in the PR run. The pinned item at the top of this section should be first reading for those interested and allows questions/answers.

Hi Lopburi - do you know of anyone who has got a phd from a thai university and got PR ? I know that the senior members of most universities in thailand are well connected and if they like you could make things happen. You would be seen to be making a big contribution to Thailand too - and from past experience I dont think that it would be too hard if motivated and genuinely interested and I can think of plenty of research topics that would be very popular. The standard of research in 2nd tier Thai universities is quite different from that in the UK.

I too would like a route to PR and making a good contribution to Thailand (apart from paying the Gov alot of tax) as well would be a bonus. My problem is I have a PhD all ready - still it would be good to have another then I could be PhD squared !

Question, is it a law that state a foreigner have duty to make contribution to Thailand?

If yes, please kindly point me (us) on that law.

On the same idea, does anyone know where the law stating foreigners are guest in Thailand is? I would like to show it to my landlord (a guest never pay something, for sure do not pay housing as he/she is a guest).

Also, related indeed, does a guest (not a foreigner) have also the duty to make contributions? Or does the status of guest allow to NOT make contributions?