Netflix In Thailand

tc101

Is there anything like Netflix or Blockbuster in Thailand, where you can order movies from a web site and get them deliverd by mail?
The closest I have seen is ordering movies by email and getting them delivered by tout, heh. I'd be interested if anyone else has seen a netflix in Thailand, but given the so-far lackluster level of online commerce in Thailand and the proliferation of knockoff DVD stands and legit VCD POS offerings, I doubt we'll see it anytime soon.

Then again, I could be 180 degrees wrong, who knows? I've been in online marketing for years, but somehow I thought MySpace was doomed. Looking at MySpace today it's hard to imagine that I could have been more incorrect, heh.

Edited by on-on

tc101,

I was where you are when I first got here, missing Netflix, indeed any source of decent movies.

Even the bootleg choices at the big tech outlets (Phantip) and CM Night Bazaar are frustratingly limited.

For what it's worth, this is how I've come to get my movie fix. I finally found an affordable DVR in Home Pro's A/V department. I use UBC, backward as it is, to record HBO, Cinemax, Star Movies and "Movie Hits", maybe Hallmark programs, in addition to BBC and CNN International.

By planning ahead for recording times, I can capture plenty of films to occupy my movie watching time, and by recording at odd hours is is possible to get some eclectic stuff. It's not ideal, but I can actually watch more movies for less money these days than with Netflix, even if I'm dependent on someone else's programming choices.

I look forward to the day, hopefully not in the too distant future, when we will be able to download movies quickly on demand to watch on what ever we want to watch them on. Maybe Thailand won't be "too foreign" to partake in such a feast!

I look forward to the day, hopefully not in the too distant future, when we will be able to download movies quickly on demand to watch on what ever we want to watch them on. Maybe Thailand won't be "too foreign" to partake in such a feast!
For what it's worth, iTunes, Google Video and Movielink are beginning to fill that gap. I routinely download LOST, Battlestar Galactica and The Daily Show from iTunes while living in Bangkok and catch Charlie Rose on Google Video. iTunes has recently added movies too, but the catalog is still pretty small. The TV catalogue, at least for US shows, is fairly sizeable now - they have about 30 channels signed I believe. It's not great yet, but it's good and getting better. If you've got iTunes installed you can check out LOST, for instance, here:

http://tinyurl.com/ya6yew

For what it's worth, iTunes, Google Video and Movielink are beginning to fill that gap. I routinely download LOST, Battlestar Galactica and The Daily Show from iTunes while living in Bangkok and catch Charlie Rose on Google Video. iTunes has recently added movies too, but the catalog is still pretty small. The TV catalogue, at least for US shows, is fairly sizeable now - they have about 30 channels signed I believe. It's not great yet, but it's good and getting better. If you've got iTunes installed you can check out LOST, for instance, here:

Hmmm I tried movie link and got this:

Thanks for your interest in Movielink, the leading movie download service. Sorry, but Movielink is presently unavailable to users outside of the United States.

If you are a current customer of Movielink and believe you have reached this page in error, please access Live Chat with Customer Service under Help in your Movielink Manager.

:o

Hmmm I tried movie link and got this:

Thanks for your interest in Movielink, the leading movie download service. Sorry, but Movielink is presently unavailable to users outside of the United States.

If you are a current customer of Movielink and believe you have reached this page in error, please access Live Chat with Customer Service under Help in your Movielink Manager.

:o

Movielink's got kind of a weak selection anyhow (the big studios still havent bought into online movies wholesale). However, using SocksCAP and an HTTP tunneling app (or something mroe comprehensive) you should be able to proxy yourself around anything. We have to be able to use all kinds of sites to see how they appear to Americans in our line of work, so I've been tunneling through to US IP addresses for a while. Works pretty well if you have a fast enough provider.