Can You Order Books From Amazon.com In Thailand?

tc101

Can you order books from Amazon.com in Thailand ? I know there are some pretty good english book stores there, but no book store on earth has a fraction of the selection of Amazon.

I've had no problems ordering from them. Actually our facility orders from them regularly, primarily Physics/engineering books due to their being scarce here.

I tried ordering a dvd from Amazon which I couldn't find in Bangkok (Queer eye for the straight guy) but it said "can not deliver to that country" or something like that, so I gave up.

Oh if anybody knows where I can find any "queer eye" dvd's in Bangkok please send me a message. :o

No issues ordering from Amazon. I do hear occasionally some folks having a problem with having a billing address outside of Thailand and the delivery address in Thailand though. That's what my setup is though, and no issues.... YMMV.

:o

I ordered 2 books from Amazon at the beginning of the month, they arrived around 12 days later in perfect condition. I think it depends on the postage you use, I used the middle option as the best postage option came to more than the books themself.

But I'd understood that even books were heavily taxed on import to Thailand. Does entry from an academic institution benefit from exemption?

As far as I know we don't. We get hit randomly by customs just like everyone else. However have never seen a customs hit on books yet (just lucky?).

Unless there has been a change in customs duty there is no duty on books. I mailed two bags of books to myself in thailand from myself in the US (received in August) and paid zero duty on them.

CD's and DVD's : yes, there is a duty .

daedalus books has quite reasonable shipping to thailand as well as a selection of interesting books (all remaindered). If you are browsing it is a great site, if you want something specific, you may not find it.

Another alternative is Naiin books here in Thailand, they do carry some books in English (although the site is in Thai) you could try emailing them and asking them if they carried the book you were looking for. Shipping is either free or very low cost.

It looks like bookdepository.co.uk does not ship to Thailand:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WW...lpInfo.php?ID=7

Apologies for this. I have used them in HK and my friend in LOS has used them by prior arrangement only. ( I checked with him and it was not easy, a one off, however, he was informed full service in the pipeline )

When ordering DVDs from main Amazon and Amazon.co.uk sites, they block shipments to HK because of DVD region coding problems. So I was advised by Customer Service to try ordering from "zshops" which are independent sellers selling thru Amazon. Click on "zshops" on the menu list on left of the Amazon sites.

Have had no problems when ordering thru zshop sellers -- billing and payment is via Amazon, shipping rates are standard set by Amazon, and customer service will follow up on any problems. You have to be sure that your DVD player will play multi-region coded DVDs, which are usually region 2 for UK, 1 for USA. You'll also get a wide range of prices, new and used, for the more popular DVDs and TV Series. Try it, works good. Plus you get the seller's email address so you can contact directly for info, shipping status, etc.

I don't want this to sound like an advertisement for Amazon, but thought you might like to know that Amazon allows you to do all of the following:

cancel your order right up to the time of shipping

track the order online

return books within 30 days

save on shipping costs by giving a bulk postage rate.

thanks to SBK and others who have recommended alternative book sources. I'll be checking them, too.

what about books in thai? there are no thai bookstores on koh phangan, and i would love to buy thai books as presents for some people here.... any advice on ordering online?

naiin.com (from my previous post) is terrific for Thai books, girlx. You can pay at the bank and fax them the slip if you don't have a credit card. Their online prices are discounted and they have an extensive selection. We've ordered from them many times and always been happy. Website is in Thai so if you can't read it make sure to get a Thai person to help you out.

queer eye VCD/DVD --- you can find (fake) ones on silom road. my friend bought some a while ago. if u are looking for authentic copyrighted ones....ermmm hmmm check MangPong stores, they might have them, but not sure. (not trying to sayI condone counterfeit products...choice is yours :o

amazon.com.....apart from restriction on CDs and such, certain books that they carry may also not be available to thailand.