What is an Appropriate age difference in Thai/farang Relationships?

BookMan

If you look at the experience of others, dont marry an Asian. The old saying "no money, no honey" is very appropriate. Why would a nice girl marry a man her own age and live in poverty, whereas an older divorced farang man with enough money to keep her (& family) is what she had dreamed.

With money, you can get possible devotion, but dont bank on it.

Learn from the experience of others is the best advice.

I've been married for 12 years (she is 50 now) to a thai 20 years my junior and we live in the UK. But there is constant pressure from the family for monetary help, which they only get for a genuine emergency, which is 1% of the requests.

When you marry an asian you marry a family and all their commitments.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this same dillema right now. I'm 28 year old and the girl im seeing is 18. The age difference feels like nothing, because she is quite mature and I guess I am immature (still studying for my masters degree and planning doctorate). But to be honest it isnt something I would tell friends or family. I think regardless of your own age, anything under 20 just doesnt sound good at all for those back home. I'm hoping just to wait it out two years, 20 and 30 will sound much better.

What we're witnessing on this thread is the nauseating duplicity of the typical Thaivisa wheezer and God help you if you assail or criticise the retired sex migrant

Don't you just love all their "none of your business" posts?

Sorry but who gives a flying you-know-what if it's anyone else's BUSINESS?

It ain't our BUSINESS if a farang's living here on back-to-back tourist visas

It ain't our BUSINESS if a farang sells stuff on eBay while in Thailand without a work permit

It ain't our BUSINESS if a young guy finds a way to live on a pittance each month

Nevertheless, almost everyone on this forum has an opinion on those issues but the Jurassic boys would rather THIS topic - age-gap relationships - be considered "crossing the line" or "out of order".

Well, sorry but it isn't crossing the line and it isn't out of order.

A decrepit old man, in public with a young Thai woman he's obviously paying irreparably damages the image of Westerners in Thailand and hardens the attitudes of some locals towards us

It's got zilch, zero and nada to do with envy - I could easily pay a woman 20,30, 50K a month without even noticing it - I don't because I don't want to and, most importantly, because I don't HAVE to

If an old man wants to do that, fine - it's his (and her) choice - but if I think it's hilarious seeing a wheezer having to hop-skip-jump in order to keep pace with his 30 or 40 year younger teerak as she drags his ass around the perfumery or the jeweler, I'll laugh out loud along with almost everyone else who sees them.

If the topic comes up on here, I'll discuss it and pass judgment with as much careless abandon as the old boys do on matters which don't really concern THEM.

The point is that NO group - even those with with one foot in the grave - is immune or exempted from having the pi55 taken out of them.

That would be akin to political correctness and we can't have that, can we?

Wheezers, retired sex migrants, decrepit old man - a fair amount of stereotyping here.

I've noticed younger people who attack the elderly and their choices ignore the fact the elderly have a hell of a lot of life experience to assist them in making those choices. Those younger people are also terrified of growing old themselves. They haven't realised it's not about age, but quality of life.

How old are you? Because you still have a lot of growing up to do.

Advanced years don't necessarily equate to meaningful experience or sensible life choices, do they?

If it did, there'd be far fewer instances of old men being cleaned out by farm hands with an 8th grade education, wouldn't there?

What quality of life are you referring to?

One where a 60 or 70 year old is paying a younger woman to accommodate his sexual administrations knowing full well that she is 99% likely to be throwing up a little in her own mouth each time he takes off his Y-fronts? How the hell does that qualify as (positive) quality of life?

Sorry but part of good sex/love-making (for me, at any rate) is knowing that your partner finds you attractive physically. I doubt that many of the old guys I've seen with younger women will satisfy that criteria.

There are exceptions, for sure but, in general, no freakin' way

Sorry but part of good sex/love-making (for me, at any rate) is knowing that your partner finds you attractive physically. I doubt that many of the old guys I've seen with younger women will satisfy that criteria.

I don't see women as 'partner' material, but more as toys to play with.

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn what she thinks, as long as she keeps her thoughts to herself.

I'm sure many of us aren't quite as 'old fashioned' or 'politically correct' as you appear to be.

So your (religious) judgmental attitudes just seem a bit odd.

Whatever age difference that each of the two members of the relationship can agree on. Everyone else? it's none of their business. With that said, there is only 8 years difference between myself and my wife in her mid-50s. But if a 20 year old can find happiness with a 90 year old and vice versa, who am I to be a critic. It's not my cup of tea, but I'll not condemn it either.

I don't see women as 'partner' material, but more as toys to play with.

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn what she thinks, as long as she keeps her thoughts to herself.

I'm sure many of us aren't quite as 'old fashioned' or 'politically correct' as you appear to be.

So your (religious) judgmental attitudes just seem a bit odd.

Where does religion come into it?

I happen to agree with him about good sex. Good sex has nothing to do with religion.

Personally, I'm not fond of younger women. My cut-off is somewhere in the mid-thirties when women tend to be experienced and sexually mature. Late teens and early 20s? Those girls were fun when I was in my late teens and early 20s. I'm past the age where I enjoy being a mentor.

Personally, I'm not fond of younger women. My cut-off is somewhere in the mid-thirties when women tend to be experienced and sexually mature. Late teens and early 20s? Those girls were fun when I was in my late teens and early 20s. I'm past the age where I enjoy being a mentor.

Have to agree there too. Who wants a girl who doesn't know what she's doing between the sheets?

Depends on appreciate for what? A date, one night stand, relationship? To many people paint the wrong picture about Thai women because they go to a bar, pick up a female half their age and then wonder why she cheats on him. Hint, stay within your age group (5-8 yrs) if looking for something serious will be a good start. Oh yeah, stay out of the bars.

Your contempt for women permeates every single post you make

You really ought to seek professional counselling

Are you concerned about how your washing lady feels when she is doing your laundry?

Do you obsess about your housekeeper enjoying cleaning your apartment?

Are you worried the massage lady doesn't enjoy herself when rubbing the oil in?

Of course not, they are employees doing their job.

And yet, nobody is accusing you of feeling contempt for your employees.

Your contempt for women permeates every single post you make

You really ought to seek professional counselling

Are you concerned about how your washing lady feels when she is doing your laundry?

Do you obsess about your housekeeper enjoying cleaning your apartment?

Are you worried the massage lady doesn't enjoy herself when rubbing the oil in?

Of course not, they are employees doing their job.

And yet, nobody is accusing you of feeling contempt for your employees.

Of course not

Those people are employees

My women aren't

Wheezers, retired sex migrants, decrepit old man - a fair amount of stereotyping here.

I've noticed younger people who attack the elderly and their choices ignore the fact the elderly have a hell of a lot of life experience to assist them in making those choices. Those younger people are also terrified of growing old themselves. They haven't realised it's not about age, but quality of life.

How old are you? Because you still have a lot of growing up to do.

Advanced years don't necessarily equate to meaningful experience or sensible life choices, do they?

If it did, there'd be far fewer instances of old men being cleaned out by farm hands with an 8th grade education, wouldn't there?

What quality of life are you referring to?

One where a 60 or 70 year old is paying a younger woman to accommodate his sexual administrations knowing full well that she is 99% likely to be throwing up a little in her own mouth each time he takes off his Y-fronts? How the hell does that qualify as (positive) quality of life?

Noted: you don't want to disclose your age.

What you say may be true of a certain proportion of old men. I would say a minority.

How do you know younger women don't like sex with an older man? Perhaps we have learned patience and consideration in getting our partner aroused, so they enjoy it more than with a wham-bam-thank you mam younger type.

Quality of life consists of a lot of factors, not just a poke in the whiskers. Sorry, I'm not here to educate you, it's better you learn for yourself, assuming you are capable of course.

Meantime, keep on posting so I can continue to enjoy the immaturity of your opinions.

Meantime, keep posting so I can continue to enjoy the self-delusion in your opinions

Yes, there's a lot of self delusion in this thread, and it doesn't appear to be restricted to a single poster.

If my misses were to fantasize about another man,

He would be Asian, in his 20s and with a lot whiter skin than most Thais.

the OP's question should read:

What amount of money do you think is acceptable, for your daughter to marry someone older than yourself ?

You've 'lost' at 'living the dream'; why not quit while you're ahead?

The question is idiocy to begin with, and your modification drags it further into the mud.

I particularlu like arunsakda's 'half plus 7', since it can only be true at a single point in time. Guarantees new loves daily, lol.

What a bunch of old ladies. Mind your own f'ing business, and hold on to your teeth, Grandma...

It is difficult to find the question to half-your-age-plus-seven question in Internet.

Finally I found https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-origin-of-half-your-age-plus-seven-dating-rule referring to Elijah Muhammad of the Nation of Islam.

Anyway I heard already 40 years ago it is an old Arabic proverb.

Never made it to Algebra, then, old Elijah?

Y=MX+B 'nuff said.

A more significant and socially contentious question would be :

What do you think about when you can see there is notable age gap between a married couple or lovers or people dating one another.

Are you amongst the politically correct types that judge and criticize or are you amongst the percent that does not judge or criticize rather accepts that age gap, for some, has always been part of humanity and will continue as so.

Personally I do not care and I do not make judgment.

When I do see an obvious age gap between the 2 people I tend to wonder what is going on between the 2 of them knowing there are a good number or possible reasons and circumstances while wondering how did the pair come to be??? while there are many and varied stories to be told.

Meantime I am well aware of certain criteria that is common amongst age gap couples but that is between the 2 of them and not for me to interfere or judge the 2 of them....but all kinds of thoughts do come to mind....obviously......yuk, yuk...lol .... ...but I don't care.

However, 20 years old with 80 years old certainly does not LOOK normal.

But what if a couple are the same age or similar age but one looks much younger while one looks much older

Would you criticize and make judgment and say: Hey, hey... what's going on over there and have a look at those 2 ...But later on find out they are both 35 years old but the girl looks like she is 21 and the guy looks like he is 45 on a good day and 50 on a bad day.

For sure, a big part of the whole issue is the visual aspect, while your vision can and often does skew your thinking on such matters.

Cheers

You know nothing of my personal circumstances, but you have obviously developed a dislike of older people, particularly if you see them happy with a younger Thai woman.

Who said anything about disliking older people.

I laugh at them when I see with them far younger women because they almost always look incredibly AWKWARD and self-conscious

As I've said several times, no one has the right to tell another person who or what to do when it comes to relationships but those who choose, shall we say, unconventional age-gap pairings should not be surprised when other people laugh at or ridicule them.

If an old man doesn't give a toss, good for him

Only on Thaivisa would the 47 year old be the cheeky young upstart.

That's because we retirees have more time for TV, we don't have to work for a living anymore. Which really pisses off the younger guys who do.

But why do all these self-professed young (47) studs spend so much time on here instead of out carousing with a lady on each arm? Bottom line is this is the only outlet for them, trying to put down the old retirees, kind of a sex substitute thing.

Edited by giddyup

A number of petty bickering posts/personal remarks removed as have the responses to them.

Discuss the subject NOT the poster please. DONT make personal remarks,they will simply be deleted.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

You know nothing of my personal circumstances, but you have obviously developed a dislike of older people, particularly if you see them happy with a younger Thai woman.

I laugh at them when I see with them far younger women because they almost always look incredibly AWKWARD and self-conscious

As I've said several times, no one has the right to tell another person who or what to do when it comes to relationships but those who choose, shall we say, unconventional age-gap pairings should not be surprised when other people laugh at or ridicule them.

Let's back up a little here. I'm 72, my Thai GF is 50, although she looks much younger.

You are 47. Please don't tell me you only get it on with 47 year-olds. My guess would be 25 year old Thai chicks, so there is no difference in the age gap. Perhaps a tad of hypocrisy there. Perhaps you are more obsessed with appearance than substance, a common attribute of your generation.

The whole flavour of your posts including derogatory items such as wheezers, decrepit and a reference to mummification indicates to a reasonable person a dislike for older people and age. Obviously you don't see it that way.

No, I don't give a toss. I do, however, like to watch people digging holes for themselves.

Let's back up a little here. I'm 72, my Thai GF is 50, although she looks much younger.

You are 47. Please don't tell me you only get it on with 47 year-olds. My guess would be 25 year old Thai chicks, so there is no difference in the age gap. Perhaps a tad of hypocrisy there. Perhaps you are more obsessed with appearance than substance, a common attribute of your generation.

The whole flavour of your posts including derogatory items such as wheezers, decrepit and a reference to mummification indicates to a reasonable person a dislike for older people and age. Obviously you don't see it that way.

No, I don't give a toss. I do, however, like to watch people digging holes for themselves.

You nailed it!clap2.gif

Edited by giddyup

I think if LOVE is involved it does not matter.

The problem is finding a Thai Lady that knows what the word LOVE means.

Sad but True.

I say this through experience.

Looks like you need to get out of the bars and get more experience, as there are plenty of Thai girls that know what love is.