220v AC -> 12v DC

bankruatsteve

Seems like there should be some product that I can plug in to provide 12v DC for the purpose of running a DC air compressor. IE: versus running my car every time I want to fill a bicycle or motorcycle tire. I've "googled" rectifiers but don't see what I think I want. Maybe transformer first? Anyway.. it just seems like there should be a product out there that I can plug in to 220v and get a socket of 12v DC. Where?

"Power supply" is what you are looking for.

BUT

An air compressor, particularly one intended to run from a vehicle battery, is an awkward load and will likely need a large and expensive power supply unit.

Better (and significantly cheaper) to get a motorcycle battery and a simple battery charger.

You need both a transformer and rectifier, the transformer drops the bolt then the rectifier converts it to DC. Off hand I don't know the load of a compressor is but you need to ensure that the power supply has a continuous rating that matches, or exceeds, the load current.

It isn't going to be cheap, or lightweight!

Aagh. Well, that was the solution I was hoping to avoid. (battery and charger) Not to suspect your input, but why should it be large and expensive to simply (or maybe that's the challenge?) convert to 12v DC. I wish I had the brain cells I must have destroyed.

It is not necessarily either large nor expensive to convert 220V AC to 12V DC, I have a unit sat on my desk that does just that, it's about 3"x 1.5" x 1" including the plug pins. But since it is rated at a massive 1 Amp connecting that to your air compressor would send it (not the compressor) into orbit.

These little compressors are intended to run from a car battery which has essentially an infinite (i.e. no) current limit, they draw a very large starting current, maybe 30A or more, you will need a power supply that can provide that.

A 12V 30A power supply on AliExpress is about $25, probably about the same from NPE or similar in Thailand, but I cannot guarantee it will run your compressor.

"Power supply" is what you are looking for.

BUT

An air compressor, particularly one intended to run from a vehicle battery, is an awkward load and will likely need a large and expensive power supply unit.

Better (and significantly cheaper) to get a motorcycle battery and a simple battery charger.

\

If it's only to fill up air in tires, why not a 12 volt compressor, plug it into your cigarette lighter and all is fine?

I've got a huge battery in my pick up, but it will also work with a smaller battery when you let the engine run.

post-158336-0-18149100-1454849822_thumb.

post-158336-0-62947100-1454850086_thumb.

To our members with battery chargers that will run their 12V compressors, please let us know the type and rating of the chargers.

I know my smart charger won't even think about turning on if it's not connected to a battery.

OK - the reason I started this is b/c I have a decent 12V compressor that plugs into the car but I just don't want to have to do that and start the car etc. I also have a 220v compressor (China I suppose) that works OK but has a pressure scale going from 0 to 200 psi at increments of 20 - so it's not easy to see where you want. It also has a connector that is a bitch to screw in/off. IE: it's a pain in the ass to use. But, it was the only one I could find that is 220v. Anybody know of 220v compressor that is good for this?

Lazada sell these 12V 30A supplies for B1450 which is more than enough for your compressor which looks like its 15 or 16A. Amorn also sell similar power supplies. Old fashioned, non smart battery chargers will power the compressor but dont rely too much on the spec they print on the front panels. I have a so called 20A charger but looking at the DC wires it would be pushed to supply 10A. Also be wary of the voltage they are pushing out. The output is not regulated or smoothed and the Voltage is likely to go higher than you (or your equipment) might like on low load.

post-104371-0-43482100-1454861033_thumb.

OK - the reason I started this is b/c I have a decent 12V compressor that plugs into the car but I just don't want to have to do that and start the car etc. I also have a 220v compressor (China I suppose) that works OK but has a pressure scale going from 0 to 200 psi at increments of 20 - so it's not easy to see where you want. It also has a connector that is a bitch to screw in/off. IE: it's a pain in the ass to use. But, it was the only one I could find that is 220v. Anybody know of 220v compressor that is good for this?

The DIY outlets all have compressors of various sizes along with the necessary accessories.

You should be able to replace the gauge / inflater of your existing 220v compressor with something more usable at a reasonable cost.

I guess you are looking for something like this

http://www.lazada.co.th/gmy-12024wb-220v-to-12v-home-power-adapter-car-adapter-us-plug-black-2127465.html

http://www.lazada.co.th/gmy-12024wb-220v-to-12v-home-power-adapter-car-adapter-us-plug-black-2127465.html

YES! How did you find that? (rhetorical) I tried about 10 different searches in Lazada and never got that. Thanks!

No warranty and no specs but 375B, what the heck.

YES! How did you find that? (rhetorical) I tried about 10 different searches in Lazada and never got that. Thanks!

But it's only 2A output.

Oh - didn't see that at first. Time to see if I can get a reading on my ammeter to see how much my 12v compressor draws. Or would it most certainly be in the 10-15a range?

Suck it and see, but test it whilst on load pumping up a tyre.

You may score on a smaller power supply by starting it off load then connecting to the tyre.

When using it with the car do you have to start the engine to avoid running the battery down, or is it just force of habit?

Transam's 6A battery charger apparently runs his (I'm assuming a conventional charger rather than a 'smart' one) but we don't know anything about the actual running parameters.

If you don't already have a battery charger a decent 'dumb' one (say 6-10A) will likely do the job if you're not blowing up loads of tyres. If it smells hot, turn it off :)

Well, I guess I just need to re-visit the "Home" places for the 220v units. Previously, they just point me to the big gas engine compressors. Hopefully they will have something better than the one I got at Tesco.

Thanks for all the replies.

Oh - and yes I always start the car when using the 12v compressor (maybe from habit as it would draw down the battery if I didn't).

We got a 2HP beast from MegaHome, about 4,500 Baht IIRC.

That was one of the smaller units they had but not the smallest. Great for inflating car and bike tyres, blowing up the inflatable pool and making a mess with the spray-gun.

Possibly a bit big for what you want, they do have rather smaller ones, but none as compact as the little 12V units.

I suppose it really depends upon how much and what sort of use it will get.

Very few of either the compressors or the power supply are quoting AMPS, very very inportant , the compressors if they have it would be writen as LRA . Lock roter amps that will be the maximum that the compressor will draw when starting under load. most of the small power supplies shown are switching power supplies and do not like to exceed there quoted power output for even a tiny fraction of a second. and most of them are unsuitable for your purpose once blown are not so easy to repair. most compressors will run off of a 12 volt older type car battery charger not an electronic one. even without a motercycle battery across the output. hope this information helps. derek

No warranty and no specs but 375B, what the heck.

I just search 220v to 12v. Sometimes simple searches will do the trick, those are the words most likely to appear on the items you are looking for. If you buy on lazada, a lot of the small stuff are actually shipped from China and may take more than a month, look for where the item is shipped from - if its from "abroad" a lot of times its China.

Guess its easier just to buy a 220v compressor. Here are some I found

http://www.lazada.co.th/tiger-ol-1204-minipancake-blue-772423.html

http://www.lazada.co.th/tools-pro-tiger-tgs-40-40-3900315.html

There are more search for ปั๊มลม (air pump in thai)

My Michelin dual piston inflater is rated at 96 watts, and this vendor on ebay claims their 10A PSU will power it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-your-Michelin-12266-Tyre-Inflator-from-240V-mains-to-12V-10A-Converter-/161544355820

This Chinese website sells 12VDC 10A PSU's for 360 Baht including shipping:

http://www.banggood.com/Mini-120W-Switching-Power-Supply-85-265V-to-12V-10A-for-LED-Strip-Light-p-1019136.html

Add 72 Baht for an accessory socket: http://www.banggood.com/12V-Motorcycle-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Battery-Crocodile-Clips-Power-Adapter-p-982700.html

And for the mains end, just use an old power board lead I guess (I'm sure we all have a collection of dead ones :) )

Archived