Police Check Stop CNX

canthai55

Stopped this morning at what I thought was a routine spot check. Directed to a Farang Police Auxiliary. He asked me for my passport - replied I have a copy. Gave it to him - he asked for a copy of my 90 day report. SaidI went to Laos last week so no 90 day report. He replied that Immigration is cracking down - quote "Bad Guys Out, Good Guys In" In the future, carry a copy of your 90 day report, or copies of the exit and entrance stamps in your passport so we can see if you are in the country legally or not. Said OK. FYI

or copies of the exit and entrance stamps in your passport

Thats the point.

Sure you can not have done a 90 day report when in Laos last week.

But seems you did not have the last entry stamp on your copies?

Edited by KhunBENQ

I remember the countless reports of foreigners being randomly stopped and checked in Bangkok (a while ago there quite a wave).

And that was not immigration police.

Immigration is part of the police organization, reporting to head of national police.

I think that every police force capable of reading/checking a passport is authorized to do so.

Not different from other countries.

And read the OP, it was a "Farang Police Auxiliary".

You might refuse/question this.

What will be the outcome?

They take you to the station or to immigration.

Edited by KhunBENQ

My Sentiments Exactly. Smile, be Polite, say Sorry, Agree to what they ask, be on your way. Can they - legally - ??? Risk of big PITA - great.

Farang police have no authority. Just mouthing what they've been told. Police can't enforce immigration laws, can only refer to Imm. police. Not showing your 90 day stamp is not being illegal in the country; only means you're subject to fine. Smile and say thank you and move on.

All stops are supposed to have police inspector present now btw....

Happy to go to the police station with a Thai road check policeman.

That's 10,000bht in lost tea money for them.

But they know that too, so it would never happen.

As for the foreign police assistant, ask to see his passport and work permit.

If he can't show them, make a complaint about him to the dept. of works.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

He has no obligation to show you anything or answer any of your questions. The only thing you'll achieve is getting more DELETED thrown your way. Not exactly a smart move.

Edited by seedy
language

Be polite and insist going to the police station if he tells you that you did something wrong. Always make sure that you at least carry copies of anything related to identification, stay and licenses. Just make it a habit of having them under your seat or so.

Edited by Nickymaster

Be polite and insist going to the police station if he tells you that you did something wrong. Always make sure that you at least carry copies of anything related to identification, stay and licenses. Just make it a habit of having them under your seat or so.

I always carry my Thai driver's license. It is an official identification document and it has my passport number on it, so they can check my status in their computer (immigration's computer that is).

I always carry my Thai driver's license. It is an official identification document and it has my passport number on it, so they can check my status in their computer (immigration's computer that is).

I showed them both. Did not matter. Still wanted to see passport, and either 90 day report or exit/entry stamps.

You Thai DL does not have your entry/exit stamps. According to this post, that's what they were looking for.

Always carry copies of your entry/exit stamps also.

It is a bit ridiculous, as they could setup a system where they could query a database to find out if you are legal or not. But that would probably cut down on their tea money....LOL

You Thai DL does not have your entry/exit stamps. According to this post, that's what they were looking for.

Always carry copies of your entry/exit stamps also.

It is a bit ridiculous, as they could setup a system where they could query a database to find out if you are legal or not. But that would probably cut down on their tea money....LOL

According to a report I read last week, Thai Police and Thai Immigration cannot cross-refer data. They only communicate at high levels.

Your Thai driving license does show your passport number BUT it does not show if you are legally staying in the country.....

Having lived now several years on route to Nong Khai (highway2)

Getting to understand this is one of the most policed routes in the land....

A stretch of 200 km up to Nong Khai i last counted 5 police road blocks....

Non of them asked for Driving license only interested in passport and stamps in out.... fishing for over stayers... lowest hanging fruits with the biggest pay outs.... facepalm.gif

there is a maximum of 20K for overstay if you make it to the border....

If they catch you before the border there is a minimum of 50K for you to be paid to be released to go......

If any says go to "swampy" its a good idea if you are on overstay......

the road to hell is paved with BIB

wai2.gif

Is this accurate? I received my new passport 6 months ago and the new passport number is not reflected on my Thai drivers license. And, the old number and new numbers are not linked so I'm not so sure that the police can find it in their database. Just saying!

He has no obligation to show you anything or answer any of your questions. The only thing you'll achieve is getting more DELETED thrown your way. Not exactly a smart move.
I agree. Give him what he wants, be courteous, and all will be fine. It makes no sense to get in a

pi$$ing contest with a cop. If you did it in Australia you'd find him going over your car looking for a defect, or through it looking for something to nail you on. Whichever, you'll be delayed and inconvenienced.

Cooperation with a smile costs nothing.

Having said that, 35+ years visiting Thailand, several living there, I have never been asked for a DL or PP, but been waved through plenty of checkpoints/roadblocks with a smile though.

Cops are humans too....poke them and they don't like it. They deal with d***heads every day trying to points score against them (some posters in this thread, possibly??). Treat them as you'd like to be treated.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Actually I think this cop was just being a male chicken....(Cock).

You did the right thing and appeased his ego, he obviously felt better and you got to go on your merry way.

Every society and every country is afflicted by these wanna be types.

I thought only immigration officers could make those checks, not regular police officers.

Why shouldn't they coordinate their efforts? That's a frequent criticism of Thailand here in TV (and one I wonder about as well): the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. If it's a national priority due to international terrorists and criminals. then all government agencies should get on board. Immigration offices are understaffed and under-budgeted as it is, I don't want to see their office staff reduced so that they can go out on the streets.

This month I got stopped on a motorcycle near a police box (Chiang Mai - Wat Santitam) and asked to produce my licence. I showed a valid British licence for m/c and car. I have been here less than 3 months so still valid (??? isn't it ???). No good says he; showed me a copy of an international driving licence and indicated that this was the only valid document (apart from a Thai licence of course ) he would accept. Sent across the road to pay. I don't speak Thai but I attempted to explain to that guy that I had a valid UK licence but got the same reaction. He would only accept an I.D. Paid B200 fine WITH receipt ! Now have Thai m/c and car licence.

You did the right thing and appeased his ego, he obviously felt better and you got to go on your merry way.

Afflicted by these wanna be types? He was doing his job, no more or less.

In fact, the OP may have been the beneficiary of his generosity. He could have insisted on more, unrequired information if he was wanting to be a d***head.

What is it about some people and authority? He's a cop, asking you for documentation. What can be so hard about complying?

This month I got stopped on a motorcycle near a police box (Chiang Mai - Wat Santitam) and asked to produce my licence. I showed a valid British licence for m/c and car. I have been here less than 3 months so still valid (??? isn't it ???). No good says he; showed me a copy of an international driving licence and indicated that this was the only valid document (apart from a Thai licence of course ) he would accept. Sent across the road to pay. I don't speak Thai but I attempted to explain to that guy that I had a valid UK licence but got the same reaction. He would only accept an I.D. Paid B200 fine WITH receipt ! Now have Thai m/c and car licence.

Nothing wrong there, you're UK license or any other non-Thai license is not valid here.

The only ones accepted are Thai license and international driver's license.

Doesn't matter if you are here for 1 day or 100 years.

In fact, the OP may have been the beneficiary of his generosity. He could have insisted on more, unrequired information if he was wanting to be a d***head.

What is it about some people and authority? He's a cop, asking you for documentation. What can be so hard about complying?

He was a falang auxillary police officer..... to me that sounds like a tourist policeman. Which Im told have no legal jurisdiction. They are only there to try and assist both the tourists and RTP.

As such he doesnt have the right to demand anything.

The RTP do have the rights to ask for ID, Licences, Passports and the like. And I dont have any problems with that.

He was a falang auxillary police officer..... to me that sounds like a tourist policeman. Which Im told have no legal jurisdiction. They are only there to try and assist both the tourists and RTP.

As such he doesnt have the right to demand anything.

The RTP do have the rights to ask for ID, Licences, Passports and the like. And I dont have any problems with that.

Tourist Police is something else again. They are a real police force and are staffed by Thais.

The falangs that are helping out the police are Police Volunteers. They might work with the Royal Thai Police or the Tourist Police.

They themselves are not real police and have no executive powers but they are working with the real police and are tasked by them.

One can't just tell the volunteer to bugger off and think that's that. Best case you'll just get transferred to the real police. Worst case they'll be pissed at you and it's never wise to piss off police.

Use common sense and swallow your pride if need be.