Koh Samui welcomes tourists visiting on Chinese New Year

webfact

Koh Samui welcomes tourists visiting on Chinese New Year

SURAT THANI, 8 February 2016 (NNT) – Koh Samui Island is welcoming the increase of tourists, inbound during the Chinese New Year festivities, visiting the island's holy shrines for good fortune.

Many Thai-Chinese citizens and international tourists are visiting Ko Samui Island today on the second day of Chinese New Year celebrations considered to be the ‘travel’ day to pay respect to the island’s Guan Yu Shrine.

Most of the visitors are wearing a read attire, the color which is believed to promote fortune, and travel with their families. Most visitors have reported that they prayed for a better economy, to bolster trade, for healthy, and for the country to be peaceful in the new year.

Guan Yu Shrine on Ko Samui Island is the sacred place according to the Chinese belief, and was erected 159 years ago.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-08 footer_n.gif

"Most of the visitors are wearing a read attire, the color which is believed to promote fortune,"

Sorry, what color?

Read

Again please.

READ.

sorry.

READ. R.E.A.D. YOU MORON!

You will always get mistakes like that until spell checkers have an IQ greater than zero...

I did not spot the mistake until you pointed it out, given the normal standard if English from Thailand English press this article would get a "Outstanding" from Ofsted.

And where is this Shrine??? In all the years I have been here I have not heard of it before....

For those interested, there should be festivities on Soi 4 area of Maenam starting around 5 pm this afternoon... (as far as I can figure) I believe a 200 baht charge to see the evening show around the Chinese Temple...

Let's hope the waves and wind die down by then.... wink.png

"Most of the visitors are wearing a read attire, the color which is believed to promote fortune,"

Sorry, what color?

Read

Again please.

READ.

sorry.

READ. R.E.A.D. YOU MORON!

You will always get mistakes like that until spell checkers have an IQ greater than zero...

I did not spot the mistake until you pointed it out, given the normal standard if English from Thailand English press this article would get a "Outstanding" from Ofsted.

You are "write" spell "cheque" only goes so far.

"witch" is why another person who did "knot" "right" the article has to proof read it. the "mine" of the original writer automatically corrects the mistake he has written, and only sees what he remembers he wanted to say, not what he wrote. very common. of course in this case it is a English second "luggage" thing, most likely.

And where is this Shrine??? In all the years I have been here I have not heard of it before....

For those interested, there should be festivities on Soi 4 area of Maenam starting around 5 pm this afternoon... (as far as I can figure) I believe a 200 baht charge to see the evening show around the Chinese Temple...

It's in Maenam. Turn right at the lights and head towards the sea. It's where the walking street market begins Jimmy. Cheers, Alwyn.

It's in Maenam. Turn right at the lights and head towards the sea. It's where the walking street market begins Jimmy. Cheers, Alwyn.

Well I am buggered! I have lived and shopped on Soi 4 and I can't say I remember seeing it.... blink.pngfacepalm.gif

Heading down soon, I'd better open my eyes! ..... oh I will be turning left .... tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Thanks!

Edit!!! A friend just dropped by says that the shrine you show, has only been there a month???? Now I am confused! He also said the festivities were last night.....???? .... OMG! ....ermm.gif

Pictures are of the new shrine in Hua Thanon. They earlier had just a large head. Now the there is also a body LOL Looks like it is going to be a new must see attraction - at least for many. Plenty of spaces for buses to park and lots of noodle stands already.

The shrine is about 200m towards Chaweng from the sharp corner in Hua Thanon,... where the Muslim market street is.

You can't miss it, for sure it is the biggest and ugliest thing on the island... brash and OTT like most things Chinese.

The shrine is about 200m towards Chaweng from the sharp corner in Hua Thanon,... where the Muslim market street is.

You can't miss it, for sure it is the biggest and ugliest thing on the island... brash and OTT like most things Chinese.

Oh I know where that is.... I have never stopped there! Will do next time I am in the area! thumbsup.gif

The Maenam festivities this evening were part 3 of three days, 200 baht to enter the event.... not many Chinese there... mostly Europeans!

More like Thursday walking street! Kids seemed to be having fun!

feb%2525208%2525202016-28.jpg

Seems like you need to get out more if you want carry on being samuijimmy?

I do find it strange that this shrine is in fact in respect of a warrior though, I thought temples were supposed to be peaceful places!

The original story says "Guan Yu Shrine on Ko Samui Island is the sacred place according to the Chinese belief, and was erected 159 years ago."

Hopefully the local government can use some of those extra funds from the influx of the tourists to clean up the beaches, improve the roads, fix the sewers, beef up the traffic police, and in general improve the public safety on Samui. Local pride on the part of the leaders and the business owners is needed, to improve the long forgotten island of Samui.

Hopefully the local government can use some of those extra funds from the influx of the tourists to clean up the beaches, improve the roads, fix the sewers, beef up the traffic police, and in general improve the public safety on Samui. Local pride on the part of the leaders and the business owners is needed, to improve the long forgotten island of Samui.

What a surprise more negative off topic drivel from the departed.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

All that money ends up in Surat, Samui gets it's share for the 50.000 people living here.....

All that money ends up in Surat, Samui gets it's share for the 50.000 people living here.....

Any information on the source of contributions and how they are distributed?

I'm seeing some progress on Samui but unfortunately not quickly enough.

Florenz Kittel (Him with all the drone videos) maded a video in December from the Guan Yu shrine before it was finished.

and someone else uploaded a video today from the finished statue/place.

I stopped by the shrine in Lamai yesterday, not many Chinese people there, but there were hundreds at Namuang 2 waterfalls and those not there, seem to block the isles at Tesco or Big C...or on Safari trucks! ... and hundreds each day go to the Marine park or Koh Toa, on day tours !!!

They don't all hide away in resorts as most people seem to think!...some even wobble around on scooters too! tongue.pngwink.png

Oh and on another subject lately, about Mummified monks, now seems to be up to four... there is another one at the Thaling Ngam temple... which... They are doing a face lift to the temple there !

And the forth cruise ship, I seen in less than two weeks more off of Nathon.... yesterday...Aide from Germany!

I do get out and about once in a while! whistling.giftongue.png

Yes of course its negative but seriously, can you hand on heart say he isn't 100% correct, because he is.

I rarely post on this forum anymore because its full of truthful negatives that act as a downer, or delusional expats, making out all is just dandy, with their heads buried deeply in the sand and they are an irritant are an irritant. laugh.png

Seeing as this subject of the lack of posting has been raised recently theres my answer.

When Samui won the vote for greater autonomy a few years back, there was so much hoopla about how Samui will now be able to keep a greater share of revenue, and be able to begin to dramatically improve infrastructure. So, alot more money is staying on the island now, than previously. Where is it going? Where is it being used? How much of that revenue is actually being spent on island improvement?

Though the work that should have been completed five years ago on the Ring Road continues, and some work has been done on the sidewalks and sewers, much work remains to be done, on sanitation, waste disposal, waste water disposal, recycling facilities, electric grid improvements, etc, etc. And with the growing population, the massive influx of vehicles, and tourists, it is an ongoing process, that seems to be completely over the heads of the local authorities, who have a dramatic lack of pride in the island. My fear is that Samui will resemble SW Bali within five years or so. There needs to be much work done on establishing effective and inexpensive public transportation, such as smaller, natural gas powered buses, which circle the island, and come every 15 minutes. You could travel anywhere on the island for 20 baht. Any comparable resort area, anywhere in the world would have such a thing already. It would put hundreds of taxis out of business, which would benefit everyone. Less congestion on the roads, and less scalping taxi men to contend with. They would be welcome to leave the island, or get real work. Nobody would miss them. Not for a nanosecond.

When Samui won the vote for greater autonomy a few years back, there was so much hoopla about how Samui will now be able to keep a greater share of revenue, and be able to begin to dramatically improve infrastructure. So, alot more money is staying on the island now, than previously. Where is it going? Where is it being used? How much of that revenue is actually being spent on island improvement?

Though the work that should have been completed five years ago on the Ring Road continues, and some work has been done on the sidewalks and sewers, much work remains to be done, on sanitation, waste disposal, waste water disposal, recycling facilities, electric grid improvements, etc, etc. And with the growing population, the massive influx of vehicles, and tourists, it is an ongoing process, that seems to be completely over the heads of the local authorities, who have a dramatic lack of pride in the island. My fear is that Samui will resemble SW Bali within five years or so. There needs to be much work done on establishing effective and inexpensive public transportation, such as smaller, natural gas powered buses, which circle the island, and come every 15 minutes. You could travel anywhere on the island for 20 baht. Any comparable resort area, anywhere in the world would have such a thing already. It would put hundreds of taxis out of business, which would benefit everyone. Less congestion on the roads, and less scalping taxi men to contend with. They would be welcome to leave the island, or get real work. Nobody would miss them. Not for a nanosecond.

But wait, you have said previously Samui is doing nothing about the infrastructure.... SM....blink.png

Now if you want to be delusional ... Buses every 15 mins @ 20 baht a ride any where around the island..... OMG get a life and get into the real world.... how will people living up the Sois get to these buses? blink.png

I have friends visiting currently, who have just been to Bali, Phuket, Krabi and Phi Phi.... Samui is winning hands down on what they have seen and experienced so far.....thumbsup.gif

As for the comment about some of us having "heads in the sand" or words to that effect... some of us don't dwell on everything negative...

bah.gif

But wait, you have said previously Samui is doing nothing about the infrastructure.... SM....blink.png

Now if you want to be delusional ... Buses every 15 mins @ 20 baht a ride any where around the island..... OMG get a life and get into the real world.... how will people living up the Sois get to these buses? blink.png

I have friends visiting currently, who have just been to Bali, Phuket, Krabi and Phi Phi.... Samui is winning hands down on what they have seen and experienced so far.....thumbsup.gif

As for the comment about some of us having "heads in the sand" or words to that effect... some of us don't dwell on everything negative...

bah.gif

Are you saying Samui does not need a solution to it's transportation issue? Are you denying the growing gridlock? The bus system would be a huge success. It is the single most frequent complaint I hear from visitors. If we do not want to put our lives in jeopardy, and rent a motorbike, how do we get around? Most do not want to deal with pirate taxis and tuk tuks. I would guess 75% of Samui's population lives within 500 meters of the Ring Road. It is an easy walk. Or you could ride your scooter and park on the Ring Road. I cannot even begin to estimate the number or times I wished a service like this was available, in the many years I lived on Samui.

And I agree with you about Samui being a better choice than Bali (way over crowded in the SW area, but OK from Ubud north), Phuket (on the downhill slope, having seen better days, and way, way overpriced, for what it is) with the exception of the access to the Andaman, which is amazing, and blows away the Gulf on every level. Krabi is way overpriced, though it has some of the natural beauty that Samui has. Phi Phi? it was nice 25 years ago.

Having said all of that, is there no room for improvement on Samui, in your opinion?

Too many post blocks to add ^

Well I am pleased we agree on something....whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

If one avoids driving around at rush hours 7-9 am and 4 - 6 pm most of Samui is not that bad most of the time .... except perhaps Chawang? ... but easily avoided.... there is no need to go there... tongue.png

500 meter Soi's ? Most are a lot longer than that .... several kms for most ......... and someone accused me of not getting out much, yesterday! I do get around .... more than most, I think..... facepalm.gifgigglem.gif

They are improving Samui, I have mentioned that several times before.... Huge road and drainage works in progress between Maenam and Nathon..... Between Nathon and Hau Thanon, it's been finished for at least two years now... even Hau Thanon to Chawang is not that bad... yes not always as fast as we would like, but I think back to where I used to live in the west.... it took two councils seven years to approve a short main street improvement of the town I lived in... then two years to do the work... rolleyes.gif

Bye the way many Chinese tourists at the Big Buddha today.... just to get back to the original topic! wink.png

Yes of course its negative but seriously, can you hand on heart say he isn't 100% correct, because he is.

I rarely post on this forum anymore because its full of truthful negatives that act as a downer, or delusional expats, making out all is just dandy, with their heads buried deeply in the sand and they are an irritant are an irritant. laugh.png

Seeing as this subject of the lack of posting has been raised recently theres my answer.

Real life sits somewhere between the posts of SM & SJ. I have made posts where I have disagreed regarding the comments made by both parties wink.png and both positive and negative posts regarding Samui.

I have more respect for posts that are made by people who still live on the island whether they be negative or positive.

BTW have you been to the Guan Yu shrine? There is a model on the left hand side after the steps where you can see what it will look like when it is finished.

Too many post blocks to add ^

Well I am pleased we agree on something....whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

If one avoids driving around at rush hours 7-9 am and 4 - 6 pm most of Samui is not that bad most of the time .... except perhaps Chawang? ... but easily avoided.... there is no need to go there... tongue.png

500 meter Soi's ? Most are a lot longer than that .... several kms for most ......... and someone accused me of not getting out much, yesterday! I do get around .... more than most, I think..... facepalm.gifgigglem.gif

They are improving Samui, I have mentioned that several times before.... Huge road and drainage works in progress between Maenam and Nathon..... Between Nathon and Hau Thanon, it's been finished for at least two years now... even Hau Thanon to Chawang is not that bad... yes not always as fast as we would like, but I think back to where I used to live in the west.... it took two councils seven years to approve a short main street improvement of the town I lived in... then two years to do the work... rolleyes.gif

Bye the way many Chinese tourists at the Big Buddha today.... just to get back to the original topic! wink.png

Again my point has been missed. Though there are some sois that are longer than 500 meters, I still think most of the population lives within walking distance of the Ring Road, and certainly most of the hotels. Having that bus service would be of great use to the locals and the tourists. How many times would I have loved a way to get from Lamai to Nathon, for less than the 400 baht the pirate taxis were charging? Public transportation is something that has never been seriously considered on Samui, due to the power and influence of the taxi and mini van mafias. They need to be completely taken out of the equation, by a politician or authority that is not complete bought and paid for. Is there one like that in Surat province?

Archived