Counsellor

br0wnd0g23

Hi. Does anyone have any recommendations for a counsellor for anxiety in chiang mai please. This will.be for a western woman, so she would preferably be looking for an English speaking woman counsellor. She has been to one before and unfortunately it was, here have some pills, by bye. Any information would be great. Thanks

Edited by br0wnd0g23

Well, did she take the prescribed medication, for an appropriate period to see if it helped? Today's psychiatric medications can often be quite helpful, especially when combined with talk therapy.

There is an English-speaking female psychiatrist, Dr. Kittiwan, who has clinic hours on Thursdays at Suan Prung hospital. That's the hospital outside the SW corner of the old city, across from the big park. Arrive at the hospital at 8 am and ask to go to the outpatient clinic where you can get a queue number to see her that morning.

Well, did she take the prescribed medication, for an appropriate period to see if it helped? Today's psychiatric medications can often be quite helpful, especially when combined with talk therapy.

There is an English-speaking female psychiatrist, Dr. Kittiwan, who has clinic hours on Thursdays at Suan Prung hospital. That's the hospital outside the SW corner of the old city, across from the big park. Arrive at the hospital at 8 am and ask to go to the outpatient clinic where you can get a queue number to see her that morning.

Hoping you`ll agree with me just this one time without putting me down. You run a social club and have experience of these things. I think the best form of therapy for people that are suffering from emotional traumas, anxieties or loneliness is other people that are understanding and will listen. In the past I have been lucky to had good friends that have been there for me in times of when I went through a shitty divorce, a close family member died and just the pressures of life and have got me through them.

I can remember once sitting with a friend in a pub moaning to each other about our problems and putting the world to rights. But if I was a counsellor or a quack, this would be my prescription. In America they run anxiety groups where several people meet in a room and get it all out their systems and support each other, something that goes over and above normal counseling. Shame they don`t have anything like that here.

Thanks both. Yes pills she tried for a while. Didn't seem to work for her, there are different doses and types , so not sure why. Like I said the Dr just wasn't on any similar wave length, so bot appropriate. We have heard of Dr kittiwan, so we think this might be an appropriate route for her to go down. And regards to chatting with all and whoever I very much agree. Think she will try the Dr and see how it goes from there. Again thanks for the replies on a delicate subject, so appreciate it.

I tend to agree with Cyberfarang on this one – a close friend of mine, sadly now long deceased, was a qualified, very experienced counsellor and strongly felt that the support of real friends in times of trauma was often far more help than anything she could give. She was also very cagey about a number of modern medications as she felt that addiction could easily occur, as could withdrawal problems. She was keen on St John’s Wort for depression long before studies proved the herb to be more effective than Prozac and less likely to cause problems for those suffering from depression, however caused.

Anxiety groups sound like a very good idea, perhaps such would be useful here. Personally, as regards counselling, I’d have reservations about the possible effects of the cultural differentials between the West and Thailand.

Browndog – I wish your friend well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've seen Dr Kittiwan about ten times. The medication she prescribed improved my life so much.

She can be a bit quick. "Ok I will prescribe X, that's it". Most visits were 2-5 min and for that I payed 300 every time. 

She told me that fluvoxamine, a common anti depressant, cannot be bought in a pharmacy (which it can) "because it is an anti depressant". 

She also answered no when I asked her if there is a tolerance build up to Quetiapin/Seroquel, which there is. 

Edited by Rotagivan

15 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Speaking of which, where does one go for rehab? Alcohol, specifically. 

I know a few people who might be interested. 

Real information appreciated. 

Alcoholics Anonymous, they are real.

• Like 1

I think modern medications can work very well, but from what I've seen they're not for everyone. In the case of one person I'm thinking of, they complained about the effects of the drugs and how that impacted on their work. In the end they solved the problem themselves -- they moved to a new work location and that changed everything, not that I am suggesting that as a solution for the OP! 

At the time I couldn't help but wonder if a sympathetic ear in addition to the prescription of drugs might have resulted in way better outcomes. 

Your friend would be best off being evaluated back in her home country. She needs someone who can fully comprehend her condition. Any medication can be continued here easily if required. 

It's premature to suggest specific therapies without a diagnosis. Depression? Chemical imbalance? PTSD? Hormonal? And it's probably not a good idea to accept a prescription if the doctor hasn't made a diagnosis. Thai psychologists push Prozac like Halloween candy, partly because they don't do CBT, or what we know in general as psychotherapy or talk therapy, not for Thais and not for westerners. Instead, they do 10-minute prescription renewals. 

• 10 months later...