Family of murdered Hannah Witheridge pleaded with her to not go backpacking in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worry more about my daughter walking through south London alone

Well, of course there is truth in that and it applies to every parent just about everywhere in the world. But the kids have to learn to fly on their own, however much one worries. Tragic that in this case their worst fears were grounded.

oldsailor35, on 09 Feb 2016 - 06:59, said:
z42, on 09 Feb 2016 - 00:33, said:

Strong statement, but one could only wonder why they said it, and what caused them to think that way. Most tourists I know and have seen in Thailand are pretty oblivious to the real dangers here, and think that everything is the same as it is back in their safe and orderly home countries. I would guess that only a very small fraction are actually harmed on their travels here considering the numbers of tourists. So unless the witheridge family knew something most others don't, or they actually looked on the UK home office travel guide we'll never know.

Such a shame regardless

Have you any idea how many deaths there have been on this tiny island in the last two years. All smoothed over by the corrupt Thai police. One recently of a young French man who according to the police hung himself.....................but his hands were tied behind his back when found. Go think about it and tell all the young people who want to come here, stay away !

What I find a little strange about Mrs. Witheridge's statement that was read at the inquest is that it was not the first time Hannah had been to Thailand. Had something bad happened to her on a previous occasion? It's also worth noting that this statement was actually written in November 2014 (it's known as a Victim Impact Statement), and not just prior to the inquest hearing on 8th February 2016.

for the ones who claim thailand and specially Koh Tao is safe as everywhere in the world (hollyday places)

just an exemple : once i staid 9 months in a small greek island , very touristic : Corfou (100.000 inh. in 2000)

never heard of attacks (vicious or not , unprovoked or not), (date)rapes, rohypnol and narcotics parties , tourists murders, suicides, or other serious incidents. i must add that it was difficult (impossible) to see one cop , what happened 1 time during easter with a politic meeting before election (just for traffic control)

i 've no business or interest in greek islands but well in mind a lot other exemples like that in europe...

Edited by silverado

What is risky or dangerous for some is perfectly safe for others, much of that involves behavior, getting wasted and flashing wads of cash or being obnoxious and aggressive is a major risk, as is participating in risky activities when loaded, driving a motor vehicle under the influence is yet another - sadly, being a beautiful and desirable looking female is frequently another. These are some of the rules that exist, we didn't make them and we don't like them but to deny them is sheer stupidity, consequently folks need to modify their behavior if they are in a place where such rules exist and if there is insufficient protection around them. On islands such as Corfu those rules continue to exist although local policing is much stronger and the very nature of western people is somewhat more protective, but murders, rapes and robbery still take place there so ultimately our own safety is in our hands to a greater degree, it truly is up to us how we want to behave.

As a Brit, you're 20x more likely to die while visiting Thailand than visiting Europe.

I do feel sorry for the parents, at least they did understand the dangers of traveling (back packing) in this country! however what about the idiot boy friend? as far as I am concerned, he got what he deserved!

Edited by captspectre

As a Brit, you're 20x more likely to die while visiting Thailand than visiting Europe.

I do feel sorry for the parents, at least they did understand the dangers of traveling (back packing) in this country! however what about the idiot boy friend? as far as I am concerned, he got what he deserved!

Which 'boyfriend' are you referring to? Why and how did he get "what he deserved"?

^^^ hardly a mistake, millions do it every year. Unfortunately no matter where you are in the world, chances are a wrong en is only a stone throw away.

Right. My mum didn't want me to go backpacking through South East Asia. That was back in 1988, and here I still am.

Rapes and murders happen everywhere, tragically. I'm just as likely to get bashed over the head walking back from the pub in England as I am here.

Edited by dbrenn

When I said I was going to south east Asia... people said... "Why do you want to go there? You could die there."

"Well.." I said, " I doubt very much that if I stay in Canada that I'll live forever." "I bet if I stay in Canada, I'll end up dying here also.. "

Go live in Thailand.... end up dead. Stay in Canada... end up dead. Anywhere you go in the world and stay and live there....end up dead. Life is fatal. Just do your best to be good while you are here.

There is no place in the world you can go to where you will live forever.. Wherever you go... just use your common sense... stay away from trouble, make sure you have your vaccinations, listen to your instincts. Be careful.

Edited by Catoni

^^^ hardly a mistake, millions do it every year. Unfortunately no matter where you are in the world, chances are a wrong en is only a stone throw away.

Right. My mum didn't want me to go backpacking through South East Asia. That was back in 1988, and here I still am.

Rapes and murders happen everywhere, tragically. I'm just as likely to get bashed over the head walking back from the pub in England as I am here.

"Rapes and murders happen everywhere" is a very misleading opinion on this thread which deals more with Thailand and Koh Tao in particular.

I challenge you to find another country, either Asian or Western, where a rapist or murderer gets automatic immunity from prosecution with as much regularity as happens in Thailand and Koh Tao in particular. ( I understand the newest constitution for Thailand is going to widen the scope further to guarantee complete immunity to all military personnel, not just the wealthy members.)

This means the number of "free" criminals, meaning those that are not locked up, is far greater here in Thailand. In other jurisdictions appropriate trials are processed and repeat offending is mitigated.

Well, we can all rest in peace a little more now that the rtp got those two murderous weasels in the prison right where they belong. I must say that I am proud of the Thai court, because even though they were under immense pressure to cave in by people that knew very little about the truth, the judge's saw through it all and convicted them. I am so glad there was trial, so people can have the opportunity to look at court records and see that the odds of the b2 having nothing to do with this crime are zero. These 2 may well get out on a technicality, but not before they have spent a good few years in prison to contemplate the sheer magnitude of what they have done to these 2 families and indeed to Thailand.

I am sure you are aware there has been an appeal launched with professional and expert people very confident that it will be successful , so I think you will be eating your words soon and the b2 will free where they should be.

I assume that are the same professional and expert people that failed to proof their case on the first trial.

I assume you keep up with the news so don't swing your baiting hooks in front of me.

The continuing attempt to misrepresent the Witheridge family (who are the subject of this thread) by one particular poster is just astonishing. I will repeat: Laura Witheridge posted a link to the Anonymous Koh Tao video at the end of her post condemning the Thai authorities and police.

The lengths some people will go to in order to stop the real murderers ever facing justice.....

The continuing attempt to misrepresent the Witheridge family (who are the subject of this thread) by one particular poster is just astonishing. I will repeat: Laura Witheridge posted a link to the Anonymous Koh Tao video at the end of her post condemning the Thai authorities and police.

The lengths some people will go to in order to stop the real murderers ever facing justice.....

Agreed, pleased to see that your post remains as it is one of the more sensible ones I've seen on this forum.

Talking to a Doctor at Swampy yesterday, Arab chap, really nice old boy. He said he'd put off coming to Thailand for years over safety concerns and even now he's a bit wary. Said the people were very friendly on the whole but quite a few seemed crazy, as in dangerous. He said the southern islands were, in his words "lawless".

He's from Ramallah. That's in Palestine.

Talking to a Doctor at Swampy yesterday, Arab chap, really nice old boy. He said he'd put off coming to Thailand for years over safety concerns and even now he's a bit wary. Said the people were very friendly on the whole but quite a few seemed crazy, as in dangerous. He said the southern islands were, in his words "lawless".

He's from Ramallah. That's in Palestine.

yep...the southern islands have been pretty lawless since the Japanese

tried to land on Samui in 1943- and were swiftly dispatched. Law seems to be an internal beast regardless of who/when/why someone 'important' makes an appearance from Bangkok....

Edited by bangkokgas

Revealed: Britain’s National Crime Agency Helped Thai Police Put Two Men On Death Row

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomwarren/how-the-nca-helped-put-two-men-on-death-row#.rrKm6N47L

Thanks for posting this.

So NCA supported Thai police in their assertion that a phone they had found once belonged to David Miller.

I'm still confused by the fact that the RTP produced an "unsmashed" iPhone - exactly the same as Miller's - only hours after the bodies were discovered - of which there are photographs and news reports. and apparently this is the same phone they found some days later "smashed".

I'm sure the NCA and RTP are correct that the phone the RTP reportedly found near the bodies that belonged to David Miller are one and the same.. I highly doubt that the phone found days later is the same phone!

Even so, it does not prove that the B2 murdered David and Hannah.

Revealed: Britain’s National Crime Agency Helped Thai Police Put Two Men On Death Row

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomwarren/how-the-nca-helped-put-two-men-on-death-row#.rrKm6N47L

Thanks for posting this.

So NCA supported Thai police in their assertion that a phone they had found once belonged to David Miller.

I'm still confused by the fact that the RTP produced an "unsmashed" iPhone - exactly the same as Miller's - only hours after the bodies were discovered - of which there are photographs and news reports. and apparently this is the same phone they found some days later "smashed".

I'm sure the NCA and RTP are correct that the phone the RTP reportedly found near the bodies that belonged to David Miller are one and the same.. I highly doubt that the phone found days later is the same phone!

Even so, it does not prove that the B2 murdered David and Hannah.

In order for Great Britain to quickly return to being Great again, all British Police personnel and civil servants who have had any connection with the Koh Tao incidents should have their bank accounts closely scrutinised.

There is simply no other explanation.