Not able to access ssa.gov online?

mtroutman49

I have tried unsuccessfully to logon to SSA.GOV several times in the past week. Anyone know a work around for this situation? I'm running the lastest version of mozilla firefox. It just times out after a few minutes. I'm not very Tech savy so please keep any response simple. Thanks in advance, Michael

Just got to the website on Windows 10 and Chrome.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/

It's a variation on the link above, but I also successfully used the one shown in an earlier post.

Try it during US business hours. And remember this is Chinese New Year so if you normally have a slow internet connection it'll probably be even slower this week.

Edited by Suradit69

I have experienced same and found the problem to lie within my buildings WIFI server, which is the type that is provided free to all residents. Apparently the SSA.gov website is rejecting the settings ie IP address, that this particular server uses.

The work around I have found is to either use your mobile phone as a Hotspot and access that way bypassing the local server or to download and install Cyberghost (seach Google), a free VPN and Proxy software that will change your virtual location (IP) to a country of your choice, in this case the US.

Good luck

Edited by pagover

Here in the USA I found I could not access the workings of the SSA site after hours but the home splash page would display. So if you aren't getting to the home/splash page then something else is wrong. As others have said you might try a free vpn. I don't routinely use one but I do have one I click on for a few websites that have trouble with USA origins. I use securitykiss. It lets you select which country you want to tunnel in from.

I have experienced same and found the problem to lie within my buildings WIFI server, which is the type that is provided free to all residents. Apparently the SSA.gov website is rejecting the settings ie IP address, that this particular server uses.

The work around I have found is to either use your mobile phone as a Hotspot and access that way bypassing the local server or to download and install Cyberghost (seach Google), a free VPN and Proxy software that will change your virtual location (IP) to a country of your choice, in this case the US.

Good luck

Thanks so much pagover. I did the Cyberghost VPN downloaded and it worked perfectly and I got my SS direct deposit changed online.......:)

I've found sometimes I can access the site and sometimes not. It's not a problem with my browser or laptop but rather with some of the routing tables along the way. You only get about 15 hops on the internet before your request will time out. Open a command shell and type 'tracert secure.ssa.gov' to see how far you can get.

First, the SSA site is only up certain hours of the day and days of the week. Are you trying to get on during those hours? Second, the site experiences heavy traffic when it first comes on in the morning (US time) for the first few hours. Third, you'll have better luck during the middle of the week rather than on Mondays. Fourth, it will have heavier traffic around holidays and beginning and end of months. Want better response times? Tell your congressman (with your vote) to allocate more money to social security rather than cutting it back....

I just tried again, and it is 02:30 (off hours) in DC. I got the page saying the system was down during 1-5 am, etc..., however, that page came up in a flash. I'm wondering if this is just an advert for a certain VPN (very sleazy business), or if this is simply more songs from the CM We Do things The Hard Way Chorus.