Withholding tax in Thailand - Refund possible for Expat ?

Hello,

I have a question :

Is it possible to claimback the tax which is withhelded from a Thai bank on interests of fixed deposits or on interests above THB 20,000.- per bank from Thai tax office without having any other income like from rental or a job (no workpermit, no Thai tax ID but long term retirement visa and Thai address)?

If yes, how ?

Rgds. Bagsida

Go to local tax office. Register and they give you a Tax ID. Get document from your bank which will confirm all the interest paid and tax withheld on all your accounts. Submit tax return and voila.

Our local office helps complete the return and they like copies from the actual bank books showing the transactions on the bank document.

I got my refund cheque the same week I submitted the return last year.

Ok - thx & sorry that I didn´t find the other topics.

So tomorrow I will try to register at the tax office.

Try this one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610294-obtaining-refund-of-tax-withheld-on-thai-bank-fixed-savings-account/

Register for tax and get your tax ID.

Obtain certificates of interest paid from the bank, after 1 January every year.

File tax return at tax office

Alternately, file online using the Thai tax online service, it's pretty simple and doesn't require any supporting paperwork but you still need your tax paid certificates from the bank in order to complete the online pages.

Note: you need to spend more than 182 days here each year in order to be resident for tax purposes and your passport needs to confirm this, some folks have been kicked back because they have paid tax they can't reclaim because they are only tourists.

Edited by chiang mai

Ok - thx & sorry that I didn´t find the other topics.

So tomorrow I will try to register at the tax office.

NO Sir, you will look smart visit the tax office and register, none of this "trying" B S

Good luck Stay positive

I effected first time for tax refund last year on savings interest in February,(Pattaya / Jomtien tax offices, received cheque two weeks later for 17,000.

Very easy for little effort.

Been there today and completed this year claim.

Procedure:

Go to your banks before March and ask for taxation certificate for each and every passbook.

Go to Jontien Revenue office and complete paperwork to register and get an Tax card.

Then complete claims for refund at same office.

Requirements:

Tax certificates

Photopcopy of every page of passbooks

Photocopy of Passport

Proof of address, ie a bill etc.

Easy as that, but can be easier if you have a thai with you, but really not neccesary, just a smile and they help you.

Message me if you need more info?

Best Paul

Yes it is possible if you have a Tax ID no. If you have never paid tax in Thailand then you won't have one so will not be able to claim back the tax.

Anyone and everyone can get a tax ID in Thailand,

but only if you go and apply for it, it doesn't matter whether you have paid tax or not.

It's painless, it's free and it's quick and easy,

But don't hang around too long because all of this will change, it's a loop hole that will get closed, foriegners in Thailand renting out property and not paying tax on the income, expect the refund on tax with held on bank accounts to end at some point..

One of our Club Members provided the following information for his fellow Expats on how to go about getting a refund on the 15% tax withheld from interest payments by Thai banks on Fixed Deposit Accounts.

OBTAINING A TAX REFUND FROM FIXED DEPOSIT BANK ACCOUNTS

A refund of the tax paid on the interest earned on fixed deposit bank accounts can be reclaimed. The tax paid is clearly shown alongside the interest actually credited. Please note that refunds cannot be made from savings accounts.

The following guidelines are the result my recent experiences in obtaining refunds. You certainly do not need the assistance of an accountant or a Thai speaker. The tax office personnel will also provide you with any assistance you may need.

Refunds can be claimed up to three years in arrears. Tax paid during a year can only be refunded when the year has ended. For example, if the tax was paid in September you would have to wait until January the following year to make your claim.

The Chonburi Area Revenue Office (Tax Office) is the oval shaped building a few meters from Tony’s Gym in Jomtien. The Office is open Monday to Friday. 08.30 to 16.30.

Step 1

If you have not made a claim before you will need to obtain a Tax Number. This will be printed on a card which the Tax Office will provide. You will need a copy of the name (photo) page of your passport. Once you have obtained this card it is valid indefinitely and you should keep it securely for future claims. There is no charge for this.

Step 2

Go to your bank where the account is held taking the bank books showing the interest paid along with you plus your passport. Ask them for a Certificate (letter) confirming the tax paid for reclaim purposes.

If you have a number of books it might be preferable to return the next day to pick up the books and the Certificates, one for each account. There is normally no charge for this.

Step 3

You then need to be able to confirm your current address. This will also be the address to where your refund cheque will be sent. This can be done in one of two ways:

If you have a blue Thai House Book this is the easiest way. Photocopy the page which shows your address and include it with your other tax claim documents

If you do not have a House Book you will need a Residence Letter confirming your address from the Immigration Office. Complete the Residence Letter form, attaching two photos. You will need to provide signed photocopies of:

Passport name page

Page with the date of arrival

Arrival Card

Two original documents showing your address (e.g. utility bills)

The fee for this service is 200 baht.

Step 4

Before attending the Tax Office you will need the following photocopies:

Copy of card showing your Tax Number (as above)

Copy of Residence Letter / Thai House Book (as above)

Copy of name (photo) page of your passport for each year of your claim(s).

Copy of the front page of the bank book(s).

Copy of the bank book page(s) showing the interest paid.

You should then go to the Tax Office, ground floor with the photocopies shown above plus the Bank Certificates and your Tax Number card.

Explain that you are there to make a Tax Claim. You will find that the staff there are helpful.

They will fill in the relevant forms for you and ask you to sign where needed. You will be directed to different staff members who perform different tasks such as entering your details into the computer.

Once your claim has been accepted you will be given copies of the Bank Certificates as receipts and as a means of checking the amount of your refund when it arrives.

You can expect to receive a refund cheque two to six weeks from your application.

Hints & Tips

Be patient and allow sufficient time for your application. The Tax Office does not provide a photocopying service. If you are asked for additional photocopies this will mean leaving the Tax Office to obtain them and returning.

Remember you are entering a Government building and you should wear reasonable clothing – no beachwear.

Take all original items (Bank Books, Passport, House Book etc.) with you.

The processing of the Tax Refund is carried out on the upper floors of the Tax Office. They will contact you if they have further queries and you can meet them there if necessary.

Wow - perfect - so many helpful answers wai2.gif

Tomorrow I will register the Tax ID at Phuket Tax Office (byside the jail whistling.gif )

Today I have listed all taxes payed in 2013 / 2014 / 2015 (approx. THB 3,900 only, in 2015 THB 0) and I am not sure I will claim them this year because of I have heard if you claim too late you´ll be fined approx. THB 200.- per year + fee from immigration + fees for the tax letters (I am quite sure there are some), would cost approx. THB 1,000 -1,500 , so I am not sure it´s worth it for the last 3 years.

But for 2016 will be much more to claim in 2017 .............

Step 4 on the link is erroneous, you can do it all yourself online, even in my remote and rural village the tax office recommends this.

I wouldn't call step 4 erroneous at all. If you go to the tax office the first year you file for your refund I think you will get a lot of help from the people working there. I know I did. I wasn't sure which form to file (turned out P.N.D. 90 was the right one for me, although I understand that other offices use different forms -- some specifically simplified for claiming the refund of interest). I didn't have a tax id number, they helped me to apply for that. Most importantly they filled out the PND 90 for me and gave me a copy of my tax return. Using that copy, I was able (with the obvious alterations) to prepare my own PND 90 this year. I printed it and took it into the tax office to submit in person (the office is near where I live). Next year I think I shall try to do it online, using my PND 90 copy from this year as a guide.

I have been here ten years

I have asked many times where the revenue office is in Khon Kaen province

No one seems to tell me. My Thai family won't or don't know what I am talking about.

Yep I know that sounds stupid but thats the scene.

Can any one direct me to the revenue office in Khon Kaen province?

Regards

Wow - perfect - so many helpful answers wai2.gif

Tomorrow I will register the Tax ID at Phuket Tax Office (byside the jail whistling.gif )

Today I have listed all taxes payed in 2013 / 2014 / 2015 (approx. THB 3,900 only, in 2015 THB 0) and I am not sure I will claim them this year because of I have heard if you claim too late you´ll be fined approx. THB 200.- per year + fee from immigration + fees for the tax letters (I am quite sure there are some), would cost approx. THB 1,000 -1,500 , so I am not sure it´s worth it for the last 3 years.

But for 2016 will be much more to claim in 2017 .............

I live in Karon, Phuket. I initially went to the Phuket Tax Office you mention in Phuket Town near the jail. They were very helpful but explained to me that because I lived in Karon I had to use my local tax office (not the main one in Phuket Town). They sent me to a tax office located next door to the Wine Connection on Chaofa East Rd near the Chalong traffic circle. From Chalong traffic circle, the tax office is on the left side of the road just past the Wine Connection on Chaofa East Rd. They were very helpful in this office, too. Of course, since I don't know where you live the Phuket Town tax office might be the correct one for you, but if you live in Karon or Kata I would try the tax office I mentioned first.

I have been here ten years

I have asked many times where the revenue office is in Khon Kaen province

No one seems to tell me. My Thai family won't or don't know what I am talking about.

Yep I know that sounds stupid but thats the scene.

Can any one direct me to the revenue office in Khon Kaen province?

Regards

I don't know if this is the correct tax office for you, but I suspect that they would be able to tell you which is the correct office if it's not:

http://www.khonkaensearch.com/khon-kaen-tax-office/

@ skatewash

Do you remember which documents you was asked for only to get the Tax ID ?

Yes, that's a funny story. The only two things they wanted to see for that were my passport and proof of where I lived. Passport, of course, was no problem. Proof of where I lived was another story. I was living in my new condo. So new, it didn't even have an address yet. Explained the situation to them the best I could. They wanted to see some official document that connected me to where I was living. I had no utility bills at that time. Nothing really to show where I was living. Not only that but where I was living didn't even have an address. Went back home and returned with my Sales and Purchase Agreement for the condo. All 48 pages of it. This seemed to satisfy them, but they wanted to make a copy of it. OK by me. Off she went to make copies. I was thinking they would copy a few pages that established who the parties to the contract were, where the condo was (for example, the chanote) and maybe the page where the document was signed. I was wrong. She was gone about 10 minutes. Copied every single page. Seemed like an awful lot of work to me, but if that's what they wanted to do so be it. But, of course, the joke was on me as I then had to sign every one of those 48 pages. After that I was issued a receipt-like piece of paper which contained my new tax id number. Then they sent me to another desk where the person there filled in my PND 90 tax return referencing the tax withholding statements I had obtained previously from my banks. They were very friendly and helpful. It was a positive experience.

I imagine most people will have an easier time proving where they live. I ended up having the tax refund check sent to my condo developer's business address since I had no other address to use. It all worked out. Ended up receiving the refund check about 4 weeks later. Oh, I have an address now. Life is so much simpler with an address. smile.png

Unlike many government offices the Revenue Department in Jomthien is a delight to use. Take everything with you and if copies are needed they charge 5 baht a copy and will do it for you. It also appears that this office employs quite a few handicapped people which speaks well of top management there. I was there when the office opened at 8:30 and there was only one other customer.

Is it possible to claimback the tax which is withhelded from a Thai bank on interests of fixed deposits or on interests above THB 20,000.- per bank from Thai tax office without having any other income like from rental or a job (no workpermit, no Thai tax ID but long term retirement visa and Thai address)?

Do I understand this correctly? It's possible to claim back interest amounts that are much larger than 20K Baht?

I was previously informed that the limit it 20K Baht, though it would be good news to hear that this is not the case. Too, I don't see any replies here, that indicate anyone receiving more than 20K back from the tax office.........

Does anyone know for sure? smile.png

Thanks

Do I understand this correctly? It's possible to claim back interest amounts that are much larger than 20K Baht?

I was previously informed that the limit it 20K Baht, though it would be good news to hear that this is not the case. Too, I don't see any replies here, that indicate anyone receiving more than 20K back from the tax office.........

Does anyone know for sure? smile.png

Thanks

Yes of course it is possible.

When you reclaim tax on bank interest paid you are filing a tax return, income received versus tax paid. If the amount of tax paid is not proportionate to the income received and this is on series of stepped scales, a refund is due.

The first thing to do is to add up the sources of all your income in Thailand, bank interest, wages, rental income etc., each of them are likely taxed at different rates so you'll need to consult the tax tables:

Then compile details of tax paid and on what.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

Then look for personal allowances, the first 150k of income is tax free, the next 150k at 5%, the next 200k at 10%. If you've been paying tax at 15% and you're under this aggregate income level you will be due a refund.

Finally, there are other personal allowances that can be offset against tax, mortgage interest up to 100k per year is an example.

FWIW my tax refund this year was over 30K.

EDIT to add: I see from the pinned list that Tywais has started a tax thread, definitely worth a look.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/893298-thai-taxes-guidelines-2016/

Edited by chiang mai

Helpful post from Yardrunner, but the original author makes a mistake when saying that tax deducted from savings accounts cannot be refunded. Last year I had tax refunded on both time deposit and savings accounts with Krungsri. Maybe he/she is referring to smaller savings account where no tax has been withheld in the first place. If tax has been withheld from any of your accounts (should be obvious from your pasbook entries or online statements) then include it in your refund claim.

Nuddy, on 10 Feb 2016 - 13:28, said:

I live 80 odd kilometres from Khon Kaen city in Khon Kaen province.

Can you direct me to the revenue office or tax office please

Regards

Here's a link from the revenue office:

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/38156.0.html

Just click on the map where you live, and the tax office address comes up. Just make sure it lists your district, and off you go!