Thailand BANNED: Harvard blocks Thai users from its Facebook page over dentist drama

webfact

Thailand BANNED: Harvard blocks Thai users from its Facebook page over dentist drama
By Coconuts Bangkok

screeenshotr_0.jpg
Facebook users in Thailand can no longer access Harvard University's Facebook page.

BANGKOK: -- Harvard University has blocked users in Thailand from accessing its official Facebook page after it was bombarded with bad reviews following the ongoing drama involving its Thai-born lecturer.

Bangkok Post reported that Thailand users can no longer access the Facebook page after hundreds of Thais posted bad reviews and comments over the university’s refusal to take action against its Thai lecturer who skipped out on her THB30 million scholarship debt in Thailand and left four guarantors to pay it off.

The prestigious school's Facebook rating has dropped from four-to-five stars to two stars after the story was widely discussed on the social media.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/10/dentist-drama-harvards-facebook-page-blocks-thai-users-after-being-bombarded-1-star

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-10

Edited by Tywais
Corrected link

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thais posted bad reviews and comments over the university’s refusal to take action against its Thai lecturer who skipped out on her THB30 million scholarship debt in Thailand and left four guarantors to pay it off.

Attack the American University and not the Thai.

coffee1.gif

The graduate paid for her course with them, just because she was a lying, conniving, scamming Thai, that's their fault how?

Thais posted bad reviews and comments over the universitys refusal to take action against its Thai lecturer who skipped out on her THB30 million scholarship debt in Thailand and left four guarantors to pay it off.

Attack the American University and not the Thai.

coffee1.gif

The graduate paid for her course with them, just because she was a lying, conniving, scamming Thai, that's their fault how?

Ahhh... The prestigious institution would not take any action on their graduates as long as fees have been paid, even if the person is Jack the Ripper!

They do employ her....despite aparent character issues that they were aware.

I was not aware that a facebook user could put a geoblock on his site,s visitors.

Mark Zuckerberg used to study at Harvard. In all likelihood a direct phone call from the Harvard chairman to Mark was placed, resulting in the geoblock.

Many nice people graduate from Harvard in addition to the shysters, ratbags, crooks, cronies and corrupt. But lOok at any financial scandal and you'll see Harvard grads in the thick of it. Apart from dentistry what do they teach? Grad school in how to become rich at the expense of others? In this case the 2 were combined.

The link doesn't work.

Who's she owe the money to, and what kind of scholarship requires a 30 mil Baht repayment?

Do some research, the discussions re repayments has been done to death.....

If it's a scholarship why's she expected to repay it? Sounds like a loan to me, scholarship woudln't need a guarantor. Could be the Thais making the noise don't understand what's goinng on.

Edited by Rob13

Good they can get it blocked. If people are so stupid as to blame the school for a graduates actions then Thailand needs to be blocked. These idiots may also be setting a situation that will force Harvard to deny any future applications by Thais.

With the current shitstorm full retard that US students are doing with their university's these days, might as well just close them all down, seeing as principals are being forced to step down over stuff that isn't even in jurisdication or stands directly opposed to free speech.

People all over the world seem to get more retarded as the years progress, which is really sad considering the vast amounts of knowledge we are discovering and learning, inventing and producing every single day. Well what do you want to do, everybody keeps telling me how beautiful this world is to live in, just can't see it between all these morons taking a full course 5 star shit on it.

The link doesn't work.

Who's she owe the money to, and what kind of scholarship requires a 30 mil Baht repayment?

If it's a scholarship why's she expected to repay it? Sounds like a loan to me, scholarship woudln't need a guarantor. Could be the Thais making the noise don't understand what's goinng on.

As already said, explained previously.... the only misunderstanding is on her part that she can renege on her contract to repay the balance her debt and expect her guarantors to pick up the tab. Pretty simple...oh! and don't get hung up on the terminology... Edited by Artisi

The paper has reprorted it being a scholarship. Scholarships are gifts, you don;t repay them, and they don't involve guarantors, either the paper is using the wrong word or the Thai's making all the noise don't understand how a scholarship works. Could be the girl's getting bad press for no good reason.

The prestigious school's Facebook rating has dropped from four-to-five stars to two stars after the story was widely discussed on the social media.

Like Harvard will care...

seems like they do care.

I don't think they give a rats arse about star ratings.

Comments that are overly faux outraged and insulting, ok that they might want to put a stop to.

seems like they do care.

Comments that are overly faux outraged and insulting, ok that they might want to put a stop to.

So they are not advocates of free speech I see.

The link doesn't work.

Or maybe you don't know how things work in Thai universities and what's attached to their scholarships.

seems like they do care.

So they are not advocates of free speech I see.

Not sure if using aggressive and/or abusive language to a person or institution on their own page is exercising free speech or an abuse of it.

If someone is having a pop at me on my page and I don't want them to do so, I'll just block them.

My page, my rules.

But yes, I take your point.

Edited by Bluespunk

"Ahhh... The prestigious institution would not take any action on their graduates as long as fees have been paid, even if the person is Jack the Ripper!"

Seems that would fall into police jurisdiction, wouldn't it? Would Thais be happy if Harvard did a black bag kidnap and "rendite" her to Thailand. They did have some black sites here during that whole Bush driven debacle. Harvard is there to educate, not be bill collector.

The link doesn't work.

'scholarship' can have many meanings / many configurations.