Cost of cigarettes in Thailand rises 5-10 baht

webfact

Another bash at the Working Man, he doesnt have much here as it is. His Beer n Baccy , always a cheap shot by those who can afford Cigars n Champers, and yes i am a Dirty Capitalist.coffee1.gif

Sounds like a quote from Doug Casey if I am not mistaken?

Beer n Baccy. Love that shit!

I don't care for cigars and don't much care for champagne, but I'll never begrudge those that do.

To each his own I say. None of my damned business.

Love your attitude. Live and let live. Unlike many of these "born again lungs" and miserable sods on here. Nothing better to do all day than whinge and criticise others. Not only would thailand be better off with out them but maybe the world as a whole. bah.gif

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 107 YO Lady in the U.K. made me smile this week.Putt her long life down to giving up her 20 a day habit on her 100 th Birthday.As a non smoker ,I find those arm wafting neurotic anti lot rather pathetic as they ride off on their 2stroke mopeds harming folks sittin enjoying a beer n smoke in an outside Bar.

The government is hoping that increase in price will help to reduce cigarette consumption in Thailand.

Hilarious, they just want the 12 Billion Baht per year, every year and more with future price rises.

They even banned electronic cigarettes and the only reason I can think of for this is to encourage people to continue smoking and remove the competition.

I guess Thailand does learn a lot from the 'west' as they've been doing the same there for decades.

I know of many people in the UK who stopped smoking when the tax was massively increased. Good. 'Smoking's for the poor and the stupid' - William Morris exec.

5-10 baht increase not enough. Should be 500-1000 baht increase. I hate smokers! Seriously. You idiots who light up inside a restaurant are affecting the health of others with your secound hand smoke. Go ahead and ruin your health with your filthy habit but don't smoke inside where others are present. Many times I have had to leave without finishing my meal because an idiot needs his fix and disrespects others. Thailand is very lax with the law regarding non smoking areas.

I'm a smoker, I hate smoke in enclosed restaurants/rooms/buildings. I never smoke in my house and when I go out socially I always go outside to smoke unless in an open air bar. I agree to some extent with taxation in some countries as it is a burden on the health service. Given this is Thailand with no free treatment why should people pay more tax here?

A very good Thai friend of mine died of lung cancer due to smoking. His death cost him just 30 baht.

5-10 baht increase not enough. Should be 500-1000 baht increase. I hate smokers! Seriously. You idiots who light up inside a restaurant are affecting the health of others with your secound hand smoke. Go ahead and ruin your health with your filthy habit but don't smoke inside where others are present. Many times I have had to leave without finishing my meal because an idiot needs his fix and disrespects others. Thailand is very lax with the law regarding non smoking areas.

You know non smokers die everyday.

Be intersting to know the stats of daily deaths smokers VS non smokers.

I think they both fall of the balconies the same way.......

coffee1.gif

Higher prices for both local and imported cigarettes now

290-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prices of locally produced and imported cigarettes are now in effect after the cabinet gave approval to the Finance Ministry's proposal to increase excise tax on price and weight.

Somchai Poolsavasdi, director-general of the Excise Department, said under the ministry’s proposal, excise tax for imported cigarettes will be increased 3% from 87% to 90% of imported prices or up to permitted ceiling, while tax on weight will be raised from 1 baht per gramme to 1.1 baht per gramme.

The excise tax increase will result in prices for both local and imported cigarettes to go up 5-10 baht per packet, he said.

He said the main reason to increase excise tax on cigarettes is that the government wanted to lower tobacco consumption by the people on health reason as statistics showed cigarette smokers are increasing.

He said the tax increase will generate higher revenue to the state from 6 billion baht annually to 10 billion baht.

He also dismissed concern that the tax increase could spur tobacco smuggling or influx of cigarettes from neighbouring countries, saying cooperation has been sought from the Customs Department to impose stricter control on foreign cigarettes.

So far, he said, there was no sign of tobacco hoardings or sign of increasing purchase order for imported cigarettes.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/150514

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-11

It's not a bad thing, might slow a few people down. Cigarettes are ridiculously cheap here......

Would be interesting to see how the genius worked this one out.

since most of the country is on minimum wage or less = 300 Baht per day

so how can it be "Cigarettes are ridiculously cheap here"

coffee1.gif

Smokers pollute the air I breath in and should be taxed to the max. Raise it another 100 baht.

Well, then move one and get out of my smoking zone. You are free not to smoke yet so am I to make the decision to smoke !!

And yet another post showing up just how selfish smokers can be. I am unable to 'get out of your blink.png smoking zone' when I'm forced to trail behind you on the sidewalk.

Still cheap compared to 420 THB per pack in the UK whistling.gif

Ye gods sir, is that what they cost over there now ? Just 3 days ago a Thai friend went and did a deal in Myanmar for wine and ciggies. I got the ciggies. They were delivered from a van over this side of the border , I got 6 packs of 200 Atlanta Menthol @ 87.75B per pack , yep 8.75 satang for 20. Now that is cheap.

Might come as a surprise but non smokers also die everyday.

Bill Hick's eat your heart out.

Yes, for such an intelligent guy he was a complete moron when it came to his own health and doctor's warning not to smoke. Sad.

Might come as a surprise but non smokers also die everyday.

Bill Hick's eat your heart out.

Yes, for such an intelligent guy he was a complete moron when it came to his own health and doctor's warning not to smoke. Sad.
Why? Bill's death wasnt smoking related he died of pancreatic cancer. Im friends with his brother Steve so should know.

Smokers pollute the air I breath in and should be taxed to the max. Raise it another 100 baht.

Well, then move one and get out of my smoking zone. You are free not to smoke yet so am I to make the decision to smoke !!

And yet another post showing up just how selfish smokers can be. I am unable to 'get out of your blink.png smoking zone' when I'm forced to trail behind you on the sidewalk.

Anyone that drive a car ride a motorcycle or fly contribute to the creation of carbon monoxide,

and anyone who use consumer appliances and mass produced food, also help to pullout the atmosphere,

you can go argue the fine point of life for ever, and at the end you will find that, we're all, guilty of

some level of pollutions... even using your cell phone in public omit electromagnetic waves that can

harm others.....

You don't drive a car, fly in planes or eat from a barby then....?

unfortunately if most of the people actually knew what they've been breathing in for the past 6 decades cigarette smoke is as pure as mountain air in comparison, the idea of passive smoking has been debunked - the whole thing is conjured up to hide the real culprets - vehicle emissions especially diesel - 1000 times more carcinogenic than smoking not to mention all the air fresheners used in our homes - pesticides and hormones used on our food and then there are the additives and colourings - cigarettes start to look quite healthy in comparison

Just bought a pack of Krong Thip at a 7-11. Yesterday the price was 67, this morning 86. RIP OFF!

Last pack I bought was 25 baht a pack. Thank God I came to my senses to see what a stupid drug nicotine is and how the companies make it addictive.

A pack of cigarettes, 24 in a pack, is more than $24 in Australia, about 600 baht. There is over a 100% tax on them. Here they cost about 95 baht for a pack of 20. With the new price rise that makes it 105 baht. Big difference even taking the wages of the two countries into it.

This is one of the rare policies I support

For those who enjoy the cigarettes ....paying more is not taking any rights away

Only for the poor who may just have one pleasure in life....

Now im a smoker but if your only pleasure in life is a cigarette then thats sad. If there that poor they usually smoke rolls ups. I dont care either was still cheaper than back in the UK and I can afford it but wish governments wouldnt lie and say its do with the health of the public. And wish they had at least given notice. I would have stocked up on a years supply. Edited by bim

For those who enjoy the cigarettes ....paying more is not taking any rights away

Now im a smoker but if your only pleasure in life is a cigarette then thats sad. If there that poor they usually smoke rolls ups. I dont care either was still cheaper than back in the UK and I can afford it but wish governments wouldnt lie and say its do with the health of the public. And wish they had at least given notice. I would have stocked up on a years supply.

Why sad....?......

What's your only pleasure in life then..?

Giving to others who are less fortunate. Giving unconditional love to my 9 dogs and one cat who cant walk. My wifes Thai smile and my studio where I play music. Ohhh and the ocassional smoke. X Ooopps you said just one. OK its the smoking thing haha Edited by bim

@Bim,

But YOU quoted a guys only pleasure in life, a ciggy, is sad....Seems you are looking at stuff through your eyes and financial stuff......You don't understand that many Thai folk have nothing, just a ciggy as pleasure.............rolleyes.gif

I agree. Just being a little playful.

Got my Marlboro from 7-11 today. Gone up from 95 to 120. So why does it state they agreed a 5 - 10 bht increase?

When there's a price increase it's a good time to make extra profits.

The day after this was announced I heard from someone local to me that it wasn't going to be 5-10 Baht - more like 15-20 Baht.

The wholesalers were withholding stock and refusing to sell to retailers like him for days.

Now im a smoker but if your only pleasure in life is a cigarette then thats sad. If there that poor they usually smoke rolls ups. I dont care either was still cheaper than back in the UK and I can afford it but wish governments wouldnt lie and say its do with the health of the public. And wish they had at least given notice. I would have stocked up on a years supply.

Why sad....?......

What's your only pleasure in life then..?

It is sad because that only pleasure

Is slowly killing you.

That is fact not fiction

Edited by swampdonkey