international drivers licence

joskeshake

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day. This is of course just another racket to collect BS fines. The "police" prefers if you do not have a license so you will have to pay the fines.

Nonsense, always let go, Never a Bother , and mine is outta date 8 years, I just hand them photo page, then the Wave Off

Flash an old expaired IDP and be waved off. I wish I could pull that off.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way IDL implies the same thing as IDP.

Only for the simpletons amongst us.

So the OP is a simpleton?

The OP does not have an IDL, he also not the one that keeps harping on about an IDP and IDL being the one and same.

From that you should be able to work out who my simpleton comment was directed towards.

So...is there an organization in Thailand that issues a legitimate IDP???

(similar to AAA, RAC, AA, etc)

Yes, the Transport dept.. But you can only get an IDP issued in Thailand if you have a 5yr Thai license. The IDP would then be valid to use in other countries to support your Thai licence.

It is valid for 1 year and costs 505 baht, well it did last time I got one in Suratthani.

Edited by cornishcarlos

It doesn't matter what you *think* the rules are, if the police are looking to supplement their income the rules will change to ensure you are in the wrong.

I got stopped at a checkpoint last year, my European issued DL was sufficient, but then I'm not in a popular tourist area, the police here don't have the rich pickings of tourists to rip off.

Anyway, the fines are small enough for tourists to shrug off, but a huge supply of tourists can turn it into a nice little earner!

Yes but an IDP issued in Thailand would only be valid for use outside Thailand and you would still need a valid Thai licence to use in conjunction with it.

Thanks. That's exactly what I need an IDP for (travel outside Thailand) as my US & UK licenses have expired...

Will you be a sweetheart and tell me the name of the (Thai) organization that issues the IDP???

So...is there an organization in Thailand that issues

a legitimate IDP???

Yes but an IDP issued in Thailand would only be valid for use outside Thailand and you would still need a valid Thai licence to use in conjunction with it.

Thanks. That's exactly what I need an IDP for (travel outside Thailand) as my US & UK licenses have expired...

Will you be a sweetheart and tell me the name of the (Thai) organization that issues the IDP???

Try this link.

http://www.bulsuk.com/2013/01/how-to-get-international-drivers.html

Below comments are correct, other than the fact that you need to check how long an IDP can be used, ie the country it is being used in, can stipulate 3 or 6 months of use at one time. Also note you must have the actual foreign licence as well when presenting an IDP.

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day. This is of course just another racket to collect BS fines. The "police" prefers if you do not have a license so you will have to pay the fines.

Of course this is completely wrong. As Farma has suggested, it is an IDP that is necessary.

idp-453x640.jpg

Just asking: the IDPs were valid for motorcycles?

Category "A" stamped?

Category A is for motorcycle.

Does it comply with the convention/treaty of 1949 or 1968? Thailand is not part of the 1968 treaty so those are not valid in Thailand.

If they consider you as a resident it is also not valid.

If the cop don't want it to be valid it is also not valid.

For my money those IDPs are useless. Get a Thai license instead, in most cases it is cheaper than the IDP and it fits in your wallet.

Your post is nonsense. IDP are valid and necessary in Thailand for tourists. What tourist would be expected to apply for a Thai licence? Please don't write misleading nonsense. I don't think that you can highlight even a single case where an IDP has been rejected as invalid.

So...is there an organization in Thailand that issues

a legitimate IDP???

Try this link.

http://www.bulsuk.com/2013/01/how-to-get-international-drivers.html

Can also be obtained in Chonburi

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/Intl%20driving%20permit%20issued%20in%20Thailand.pdf

But not available at the Pattaya office near Regents school.

Look here

I'm guessing that you would prefer Chonburi.

The laws are quite clear.

An International Driving Permit is valid for one year only, can be issued only from your own country and must be presented with your own country's valid driving licence that specifies the category or categories of vehicle that are applicable.

Again more misleading info, it is only accepted for the first 90 days from the date of arrival. Doesnt any body check their facts before sprouting off?

Please point out which fact is incorrect. You have simply added something - not corrected anything.

An International Driving Permit is valid for one year only, can be issued only from your own country and must be presented with your own country's valid driving licence that specifies the category or categories of vehicle that are applicable.

Can tell us what law(s) prevent IDPs from being issued for one year only?

The one I get here in the USA from the local AAA travel office clearly has one year validity on it. Presumably that is by international convention and agreement but I did not read all the fine print. As others have said, the real valid ones are simply a restatement and certification that you have a current valid driver license in your home country. It has your photo and other information on it. The one from the AAA in the USA is a few pages long and has several pages of translation languages. The stuff of old James Bond movies and other types of order on line international things are, well I doubt very valid

I dont think If you come here for one its possible to get a drivers license, you need paper from immigration and paper where you stay etc etc .......

Of course this is completely wrong. As Farma has suggested, it is an IDP that is necessary.

idp-453x640.jpg

This picture is interesting, as it shows that UK issues at IDP based on "1949" treaty valid for one year.

This is the "issue" that is acknowledged/required in Thailand.

E.g. Germany (and maybe Switzerland) issue an IDP based on "1968" treaty, valid for three years.

Strictly spoken this would not be acceptable for Thailand.

Seems like they handle this "liberally".

Edited by KhunBENQ

The Dept. of Land Transportation (DLT) issues them if you have a 5-year license. Not all DLT offices issue them though and another poster mentioned that the one for Pattaya area doesn't. You could get one in BKK though.

Incorrect...I am from the UK but have had an international driving licence issued from Chonburi and used it in the USA

I dont think If you come here for one its possible to get a drivers license, you need paper from immigration and paper where you stay etc etc .......

Unless something changed recently it is not hard to do. You need that paper from immigration. Bring your passport, a business card and a bill from your guesthouse and a couple of passport photos. You pick up the paper the next day. When you have that paper you go to the land transport office and get the license in one day. If you have an IDL/IDP you do not have to take the driving test or the written test, only the eye and reaction tests.

Just asking: the IDPs were valid for motorcycles?

Category "A" stamped?

Category A is for motorcycle.

Does it comply with the convention/treaty of 1949 or 1968? Thailand is not part of the 1968 treaty so those are not valid in Thailand.

If they consider you as a resident it is also not valid.

If the cop don't want it to be valid it is also not valid.

For my money those IDPs are useless. Get a Thai license instead, in most cases it is cheaper than the IDP and it fits in your wallet.

Your post is nonsense. IDP are valid and necessary in Thailand for tourists. What tourist would be expected to apply for a Thai licence? Please don't write misleading nonsense. I don't think that you can highlight even a single case where an IDP has been rejected as invalid.

Did you read the OP?

Either way IDL implies the same thing as IDP.

Only for the simpletons amongst us.

So the OP is a simpleton?

The OP does not have an IDL, he also not the one that keeps harping on about an IDP and IDL being the one and same.

From that you should be able to work out who my simpleton comment was directed towards.

I am not harping only responding.

"When you resort to name calling, you have lost the argument"

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day.

Rubbish.

I agree. You need a valid license to rent a car at the airport. How do you get a Thai License at the airport ?? If you don't the answer; then you should keep quiet. NightRider70 should drive only in the daytime !

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day.

Rubbish.

I agree. You need a valid license to rent a car at the airport. How do you get a Thai License at the airport ?? If you don't the answer; then you should keep quiet. NightRider70 should drive only in the daytime !

Incorrect...I am from the UK but have had an international driving licence issued from Chonburi and used it in the USA

With the Thai IDP you cannot legally drive in Germany or Mexico.

This is not quite correct. An IDP can be issued by some countries for which you have a valid driving licence. This applies to Thailand.

In Australia, the IDP issued is valid for 18 months. Think it's only valid for three months in Thailand, after which you have to get a Thai driving licence. The whole system could do with standardisation across all countries.

As I understand it from both personal experience and what I have learned here on Thai Visa is.

1/ You do not actually need an International Driving Permit if you are from the UK, USA, Canada, Australia

and a few other places because your licence is in English and an agreement from way back 1959 or so.

The TV member provided the link to the law/agreement which I did read. He was correct. That said you

may still be asked for it. Don't expect the police to know the law, especially when they are out for tea money.

2/ The IDP does not have a translation from English into Thai. I don't think any of the IDP's have that

translation, but they are all laid out the same. In the endorsement stamp section it is the top

square that needs to be stamped for the motorcycle endorsement. Most Thai police cannot read

English or anything else but Thai script, but they can see if the top square is stamped and they

have been schooled that this shows a motorcycle endorsement.

3/ Most countries allow you to drive for three months in the country before needing a Thai/local

licence. If you are on a tourist visa in Thailand you must make a boarder run every 90 days

so that resets your license.

4/ As has been stated my many the grey booklet is a permit, not a license, and it is used in conjunction

with your home country license. It is a translation of what your home license allows you to do in

your home country.

If you have a policeman insisting on an IDP it is probably that he has no idea what language your

license and country you are from. For the OP he would need an IDP but if your license is in English

and you are from the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, etc. you may just want to smile, and insist

you do not need it. Especially if you have the motorcycle endorsement. Insist on going to the

police station. I have been stopped more than 100 times over the years and only twice asked to

show an IDP. The rest of the time they sniff around, but I do ware my helmet, have my scooter

ownership and yearly insurance so they may be a little grumpy as no tea money but send me on

my way. There are plenty of fish in the sea for them.

While I am here on a tourist visa I will make the time to get my Thai drivers license. Something

I should have done years ago.

One more thing, I do have a friend who has used the same IDP the last 15 years. Every year

he white outs the date on the front cover and adds a year to the expiry. He has never had

any issues.