international drivers licence

joskeshake

I don't see it as illogical that a US licence was accepted as valid for the purpose of getting a Thai licence but not for use on the road.

It is akin to having US currency which is recognised as valid for exchange into Thai baht but not for buying stuff in the local market.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see it as illogical that a US licence was accepted as valid for the purpose of getting a Thai licence but not for use on the road.

It is akin to having US currency which is recognised as valid for exchange into Thai baht but not for buying stuff in the local market.

Totally agree.

Its just dangerous, the Americans need to do some re-traing first.

So they can drive safely, on the correct side of the highway. giggle.gifwai2.gif

Sorry but your suggestion that the authorities here expect you to have a Thai licence from day one was just nonsense.

An IDP according to the 1949 convention is what is necessary. A Belgian IDL according to 1968 convention is not valid in Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

I don't see anything about Belgium in particular mentioned in your link, but I can confirm that I received a Thai driving license on the simple presentation of my Belgian driving LICENSE.

So do you claim that Thailand offers me a Thai driving license on display of a document that they don't recognize ?

That is exactly how illogical the Thai system operates. My American drivers license was not recoqnized for driving in Thailand but at the same time it was recognized by the land transport office to get a Thai license without taking the driving nor test written test. Any American licenses that has the driving classes explained on the flip side is (or was) transferable to a Thai license, but at the same time not valid for driving.

Did you have the IDP as well as you US licence ?

No.

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day. This is of course just another racket to collect BS fines. The "police" prefers if you do not have a license so you will have to pay the fines.

Don't you have to be normally resident in Thailand to get a Thai DL? I had to give proof of address, and an hotel would not have been sufficient.

I thought the requirement is that they should have had their own country's DL as well as the IDP.

I was able to drive in NZ on a Thai DL for a year ( no IDP needed ).

Category A is for motorcycle.

Does it comply with the convention/treaty of 1949 or 1968? Thailand is not part of the 1968 treaty so those are not valid in Thailand.

If they consider you as a resident it is also not valid.

If the cop don't want it to be valid it is also not valid.

For my money those IDPs are useless. Get a Thai license instead, in most cases it is cheaper than the IDP and it fits in your wallet.

Your post is nonsense. IDP are valid and necessary in Thailand for tourists. What tourist would be expected to apply for a Thai licence? Please don't write misleading nonsense. I don't think that you can highlight even a single case where an IDP has been rejected as invalid.

Did you read the OP?

Yes, I did. An International Driving Licence is not an International Driving Permit. You seem to be having problems with understanding this.

But pictures have been posted here to enable you to see the difference.

NB!!!!!!!!!

http://www.idlservice.com/?gclid=CIqnncbq9soCFVcmvQodNwsKFA

The IDL has no official status and does not confer any legal privileges or rights on consumers.

There is no such thing as an international diving licence that gives the RIGHT to drive in any country.

My understanding is that there could be a problem with insurance if needed after being in Thailand using an IDP and your home country license. I have always assumed that what Ulic said is correct, "If you are on a tourist visa in Thailand you must make a boarder run every 90 days

so that resets your license," Since I'm here on a Non-Imm O (Marriage) I have to leave every 90 days, so shouldn't be a problem.

I got a chuckle out of the UK IDP image being from "AA Road Services". Where I'm from AA stands for "Alcoholics Anonymous". It's obviously different in the UK.

Since when does someone on a Non O marriage have to leave every 90 days?

Simple. Unless one has an extension one has to leave the country every 90 days to activate the next 90 days of a multiple non O. If the non O is only single entry it expires 90 days after being activated on arrival in LOS.

It's all explained very well in the visa forum.

Your post is nonsense. IDP are valid and necessary in Thailand for tourists. What tourist would be expected to apply for a Thai licence? Please don't write misleading nonsense. I don't think that you can highlight even a single case where an IDP has been rejected as invalid.

Did you read the OP?

Yes, I did. An International Driving Licence is not an International Driving Permit. You seem to be having problems with understanding this.

NB!!!!!!!!!

The IDL has no official status and does not confer any legal privileges or rights on consumers.

There is no such thing as an international diving licence that gives the RIGHT to drive in any country.

Sounds as if you are better informed than the US government.

http://belgium.usembassy.gov/drivers-licenses.html

Tourists/temporary visitors

Tourists and temporary visitors are allowed to drive in Belgium on a valid license from a U.S. state. An International Driver's License is not required but some car rental companies may require one.

Did you read the OP?

NB!!!!!!!!!

Tourists and temporary visitors are allowed to drive in Belgium on a valid license from a U.S. state. An International Driver's License is not required but some car rental companies may require one.

Nothing there that contradicts what I said. You need a valid DL from your own country to drive in another country as long as that country recognises that licence, but in some countries you also need an IDP as is the case with Thailand. NZ didn't require one, neither did Ireland. An IDL is not recognised on its own as a permit to drive in another country- you need a valid licence as well. Seems simple to me.

I used a valid UK licence to obtain a Thai licence and also an NZ one.

NB!!!!!!!!!

Nothing there that contradicts what I said. You need a valid DL from your own country to drive in another country as long as that country recognises that licence, but in some countries you also need an IDP as is the case with Thailand. NZ didn't require one, neither did Ireland. An IDL is not recognised on its own as a permit to drive in another country- you need a valid licence as well. Seems simple to me.

How convenient that you overlooked the fact that the US embassy used the wording " International driving LICENSE" instead of permit.

NB!!!!!!!!!

How convenient that you overlooked the fact that the US embassy used the wording " International driving LICENSE" instead of permit.

You seem to have overlooked Tourists and temporary visitors are allowed to drive in Belgium on a valid license from a U.S. state. Nothing about an IDL there. But hey, you drive around Thailand on an IDL if you want to. No skin off my nose.

You seem to have overlooked Tourists and temporary visitors are allowed to drive in Belgium on a valid license from a U.S. state. Nothing about an IDL there. But hey, you drive around Thailand on an IDL if you want to. No skin off my nose.

Nothing about a International drivin LICENSE in the announcement of the US Embassy?

An International Driver's License is not required but some car rental companies may require one.

So the US Embassy is clearly recognizing a document which is illegal or even non existing according to so many on this forum

Nothing about a International drivin LICENSE in the announcement of the US Embassy?

An International Driver's License is not required but some car rental companies may require one.

So the US Embassy is clearly recognizing a document which is illegal or even non existing according to so many on this forum

This just proves that the person responsible for that U.S website is as clueless as a lot of TVF members.

It also states that an "international licence" is available from the AAA in U.S? The AAA issues International Permits :)

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day. This is of course just another racket to collect BS fines. The "police" prefers if you do not have a license so you will have to pay the fines.

Don't you have to be normally resident in Thailand to get a Thai DL? I had to give proof of address, and an hotel would not have been sufficient.

I thought the requirement is that they should have had their own country's DL as well as the IDP.

I was able to drive in NZ on a Thai DL for a year ( no IDP needed ).

When I got mine an adress to a guesthouse was okay. That was 3 years ago so things might be different now.

The USA government do not mention an international driver licence instead and international driver permit and also tells where to get one from.

AAA and NAC (who both say international driver permit).

https://www.usa.gov/americans-abroad

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

http://www.nacroadservice.com/#!international-driving-permit/c2eg

Fair to say that maybe the embassy website you are obsessing over is infact offering incorrect information.

Edited by Don Mega