Has Bang Saray beach road been cleared of food stalls and umbrellas?

joebrown

Unfortunately Bangsaray beach will eventually go the way of all the others. Too much building going on and the water is becoming polluted. This is not progress- it is continued destruction of the environment. It is no wonder that the Navy beaches are so controlled. Tourists cannot get in.

Yes every Tuesday no Vendors or Stalls allowed !!!!!!!!!!????????????

Has this been a recent occurrance, as I don't seem to have seen it like this in the last few months? Also, there is a distinct lack of wooden shacks/bars on the land side of the road, with large corrugated sheets enclosing what might be new building work, at the town end of the beach, by the police/toilet block.Maybe the unsightly wooden structures there have been demolished to make way for something similar but more 'up-market'?

Unfortunately Bangsaray beach will eventually go the way of all the others. Too much building going on and the water is becoming polluted. This is not progress- it is continued destruction of the environment. It is no wonder that the Navy beaches are so controlled. Tourists cannot get in.

Yes, it makes me wonder how EIA approval was obtained for the construction of the mega-storey La Mare condo when I thought there was a reglation limit of 8 storeys in close proximity to the sea. On second thoughts, I think I just figured it out because TIT!

With regard to Navy beaches, they aren't all closed to tourists, because 'Hat Sai Koaw' about 3 km from Bang Saray is open to all, on payment of a special (increased) price for foreigners. Even the 'Fleet' beach on the waterfront at Sattahip is open to all Thais, but farangs aren't permitted to enter. This despite farangs being able to play on the golf course only 30m away on the land side of the beach road

The wealthy in Thailand continue to sell out their country due to their greed. Do they really believe tourists will still come to polluted beaches and over built seaside areas? Pattaya and Phuket are on a downward spiral now. I am not against progress but I am against the destruction of a beautiful natural environment simply to make someone wealthier. The government needs to stop this madness.

Yes they can, I've been to Navy beaches a few times, one of them u have to show Id an pay an entrance fee.

Yes, it makes me wonder how EIA approval was obtained for the construction of the mega-storey La Mare condo when I thought there was a reglation limit of 8 storeys in close proximity to the sea. On second thoughts, I think I just figured it out because TIT!

With regard to Navy beaches, they aren't all closed to tourists, because 'Hat Sai Koaw' about 3 km from Bang Saray is open to all, on payment of a special (increased) price for foreigners. Even the 'Fleet' beach on the waterfront at Sattahip is open to all Thais, but farangs aren't permitted to enter. This despite farangs being able to play on the golf course only 30m away on the land side of the beach road

There is no requirement to do an EIA for any commercial building as long as it is not an Industrial complex, and then only needed for certain Industries (pretty much all but some are excluded). The projects that boast about EIA approval on their billboards are catering to westerners who cares about that stuff.They may or may not have done an Environmental Impact Assessment and may or may not gotten it approved, although I dunno what Govt. agency would approve it as it is not necessary. However, some Municipalities and land offices require an "Environmental study" to be done and approved by them, this usually very limited in scope compared to an EIA which usually takes up to a year to complete.

They are putting the first coffin nails into the last lovely little fishing village along this stretch with these hugh structures now being built down there & will plan to fill them with chinese tourists.

The ones we have seen so far are tip of the iceberg when it comes to numbers.

Within 10 years we won't recognise the eastern seaboard & with over-development & pollution of the land, sea & air

The wealthy in Thailand continue to sell out their country due to their greed. Do they really believe tourists will still come to polluted beaches and over built seaside areas? Pattaya and Phuket are on a downward spiral now. I am not against progress but I am against the destruction of a beautiful natural environment simply to make someone wealthier. The government needs to stop this madness.

There is no requirement to do an EIA for any commercial building as long as it is not an Industrial complex, and then only needed for certain Industries (pretty much all but some are excluded). The projects that boast about EIA approval on their billboards are catering to westerners who cares about that stuff.They may or may not have done an Environmental Impact Assessment and may or may not gotten it approved, although I dunno what Govt. agency would approve it as it is not necessary. However, some Municipalities and land offices require an "Environmental study" to be done and approved by them, this usually very limited in scope compared to an EIA which usually takes up to a year to complete.

What you are saying doesn't surprise me, but I don't understand why so many new condo developments in close proximity to the sea are often 8 storeys high. . Maybe you could explain the reason(s) why this is so?

@ joebrown post #17, your question...I do not know of any regulation regarding beach front developments in Thailand. I searched the web. Reason I know about the EIA thing is because I work here in that field, among other things. But in my opinion I don't think there are any regulations about the height of buildings, local land office discretion I think. Another factor is safety, building safety where a fire may brake out must ensure it can be put out.

But I suppose there has been proposals and motions in Govt. numerous times in the past to address the situation, but was never passed.

Most of the cr@p on the Bang Saray tideline (plastic bags, styrofoam cartons, glass bottles, nets, car tyres, etc.) comes from the 'picturesque' fishing fleet that sails from Bang Saray pier each evening - dumping their waste overboard.

Most of the cr@p on the upper beach is left there by our local and Bangkok families who like to dine al fresco each weekend but can't be ar5ed to pick up their trash before they go home.

To my personal knowledge, it was just the same 10 - 12 years ago when there was little or no construction in the area. Actually, it was worse because the local authorities have only in recent years employed a gang of cleaners to tidy up the place - kudos to them.

There is lots of money being invested in the area just now. I am not a fan of over-development, but it seems to be an unstoppable force. At least the local authorities are spending some of the cash on keeping the place clean.

The removal of the illegal food places on Beach road, some weeks ago including many well established ones is due to the fact that there is custom buildings being built to replace them (local informant Thai supposedly in the know) which will give more parking spaces for visitors as most of the car park spaces were taken up by the illegal cafes

• 3 weeks later...

I used to go a lot to the beach area just past Bang Saray's "Walking Street". The area had many huts just opposite the beach offering food and drinks. These have gone now and it seems the land owner got rid of them to sell the land for building development.

What you are saying doesn't surprise me, but I don't understand why so many new condo developments in close proximity to the sea are often 8 storeys high. . Maybe you could explain the reason(s) why this is so?

The rule, if you can call it a rule, is that building height is restricted within 100m of the mean shore line (whatever that is).

So Del Mare would appear to be legal as are the new high-rises on Jomtien Beach Road like Aeras, Cetus and Reflection etc.

I used to go a lot to the beach area just past Bang Saray's "Walking Street". The area had many huts just opposite the beach offering food and drinks. These have gone now and it seems the land owner got rid of them to sell the land for building development.

The other day I noticed some major earth moving had taken place opposite where the beach food vendors used to be. They seem to have levelled a very large area leaving a big tree on an island.