Russians tourists spent almost $2 billion in Thailand in 2015

webfact

Russians Tourists Spent almost $2 Billion in Thailand in 2015

BANGKOK – Russian tourists spent almost $2 billion in Thailand in 2015, Vladimir Sosnov, the chief of the consulate department at the Russian embassy in Bangkok told TASS on Tuesday.

“Thailand’s Sports and Tourism Ministry sent us a statistical report on how Russians spend their holidays in Thailand,” the diplomat said, adding that major spending is connected with hotels, food and shopping.

Last year figures show the major spending of Russians in Thailand is payment for accomodation, which is some 29%. Similar percentage goes to food and shopping, 23% for both activities. Transport and entertainment each was 10% of the whole budget.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/russians-tourists-spent-almost-2-billion-in-thailand-in-2015.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-02-11

The Russians I've seen in Thailand are generally poor and incredibly cheap. So with a nose diving economy, currency, etc this article is bs.

But doing limited research you can see they spend $21 a day or you could look at the situation reported by the Indian Gov regarding Russian tourists.

to be honest i did meet some poor russians but that was in pattaya ...

phuket or krabi most are well off to rich and behave accordingly nowadays.

Unless you speak with them for some longer time you will often not even notice they are russians (they do have a slavic dialect but they could often also be Finns , Poles or such)

most of them where very well behaved , educated and did really spend lots of money there.

totaly different people than the russians you find on a turkisch or eqyptian beach and in the all incl resorts most other places

I find it hard to believe they spent this much. There just aren't that many here now. And lots come via packaged tours. Room and some meals are paid for in Russia. When going out, these types spend very little money. Just like me when I was younger.

I was on Samui a few years ago and the resort was filled with "Russians". It wasn't a cheap resort and the onsite restaurant wasn't cheap either. But that's where they ate. Definitely spent a lot of money. But this year, maybe not 2 billion???

Met a couple one in Pattaya driving a bmw and one working in soi cowboy totally different economy scales there, but at 62 percent of claimed money spent that would probable be verifiable, then deduct the 62 percent from the total , your fed, watered, housed , shopped and entertained , can we then deduce these figures are a little bit off?

I find it hard to believe they spent this much. There just aren't that many here now. And lots come via packaged tours. Room and some meals are paid for in Russia. When going out, these types spend very little money. Just like me when I was younger.

I was on Samui a few years ago and the resort was filled with "Russians". It wasn't a cheap resort and the onsite restaurant wasn't cheap either. But that's where they ate. Definitely spent a lot of money. But this year, maybe not 2 billion???

if room and meals are paid in Russia does that mean Thai hotels provide rooms and Thai restaurants provide meals for free? huh.png

if room and meals are paid in Russia does that mean Thai hotels provide rooms and Thai restaurants provide meals for free? huh.png

No. Just that a lot of the profit is kept in Russia. Kinda like the Chinese do here. Stay at hotels owned by Chinese, restaurants owned by Chinese, tour buses owned by Chinese. A lot of the money spent doesn't trickle down to the local economy.

I think the deal at the Ambassador is something like $550 for a flight, room and breakfast for 6 days/5 nights. Really cheap!

So who did they steal this money from ???? whistling.gif

They dont have to steal it. They borrow it from the banks. Thousands of Russians used to come here having paid for their entire trip with bank money.

I doubt if they can do that any more.

Thailand will get a few wealthy Russians but most head west. All wealthy Chinese go to Europe,USA and Australia. Thousands of Chinese buy little houses in working class suburbs in Melbourne and Sydney for 1-2 million dollars ! approx 55 million baht per house or condo. They also spend thousands on lavish wedding receptions.

Most of the Chinese in LOS come on cheap bus tours.

No. Just that a lot of the profit is kept in Russia. Kinda like the Chinese do here. Stay at hotels owned by Chinese, restaurants owned by Chinese, tour buses owned by Chinese. A lot of the money spent doesn't trickle down to the local economy.

I think the deal at the Ambassador is something like $550 for a flight, room and breakfast for 6 days/5 nights. Really cheap!

that a lot of profit is kept in Russia is an assumption without evidence. Chinese money to chinese corporations in Thailand means money goes to the local economy as hotels were built by Thai companies, food and beverage is bought in Thailand, services in hotels and restaurants are provided by [mostly] Thai employees.

note: ElCheapo European airlines (e.g. Ryan Air) charge for flights identical to distances China > Thailand between 50 and 100 US-Dollars and i bet my [not so] sweet butt that fare cost with Chineses charter airlines are not more cost intensive but rather less.

that leaves $90 (>3,000 Baht) per day for accomodation, breakfast and transfers from/to airport = not exactly "really cheap" for Chinese pockets and in line or even more what the average Farang tourist pays for reasonably good accomodation cum breakfast and three times the price what hotels in Soi Buakaow charge for their "presidential suites" where the Farang crème de la crème gigglem.gif is holidaying.

disclaimer: all afore-mentioned as usual in my [not so] humble opinion laugh.png

From the looks of things in Russia they better rush over while the ruble is still worth something. I think Putin is leaving the window of opportunity open so the oligarth's can get their money out his funds included. After the rich have abandoned ship currency controls will be rolled in and the citizens and what little money they have left will be locked in. As banks are tightening their lending policies I am sure in the near future when you go to the bank to get a loan for a holiday it will stamped "Refused" If the loan is stamped "Granted" I am sure once the manager finds out your going to Thailand he will reverse things and stamp it refused because after all you must return alive to make the payments. Bankers what heartless Bds.

Edited by elgordo38

Not sure about the Russians, but interesting article on zero/low cost tours from China:

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2015/07/zero-dollar-tours-part-of-the-fabric/

She was referring to the age-old conundrum of seepage whereby foreign tour operators invest in Thailand’s tourism product to ensure that most of the profit and revenue is repatriated. Chinese tour operators go as far as to buy condominium units and transform them into accommodation for their clients to ensure the revenue stays in their accounts. It is a common practice in Pattaya where as much as 30% of the units in a condominium are bought by Chinese tour operators. They usually ask for a separate lift and reception area to be included in the deal.

She said that the tax payment check would help to ensure tourism income stays in the country rather than transferred back to China.

Lots of articles out there about the impact of these types of tour groups on the economy, environment and local workers...

to be honest i did meet some poor russians but that was in pattaya ...

phuket or krabi most are well off to rich and behave accordingly nowadays.

Unless you speak with them for some longer time you will often not even notice they are russians (they do have a slavic dialect but they could often also be Finns , Poles or such)

most of them where very well behaved , educated and did really spend lots of money there.

totaly different people than the russians you find on a turkisch or eqyptian beach and in the all incl resorts most other places

If you say so Comrade....

Fersh'd did je learnin zjour englischz?

Edited by jaywalker

The Russians I've seen in Thailand are generally poor and incredibly cheap. So with a nose diving economy, currency, etc this article is bs.

But doing limited research you can see they spend $21 a day or you could look at the situation reported by the Indian Gov regarding Russian tourists.

How nice of the Russians to give the last of their rubles to Thailand makes one weep with gratitude. Where is TIT in all this claiming Russian tourism is up hmm lets say 50% over the previous year. Yes the baht is appreciating like wildfire and the SET looks likes its swimming upstream in the maelstrom of pain hitting the world economies. I seem to sense the governments heavy financial hand in all of this as the internals do not look all that great. Stay tuned for next episode the Baht meets Niagara Falls.

They can spend as much as they want, but sadly, their behaviour is such annoying and saddening that nobody will like them. In fact, so many people I meet, hates them being in Thailand and ruining atmosphere.. The worst part is that I myself look like russian and it takes a big job to socialize with someone on night out that I even sometimes don't even try. I don't even speak russian nor do I behave like one but the physics destroys everyones mood when they see me sitting in the same bar or boat or etc. sad.png But boy, when I do say that I am not a russian the whole evening turns around and you can start enjoying socializing and nights out again . Sadly, not so many left to socialize with in Phuket, who are not russians themselves amd speak english..

They can spend as much as they want, but sadly, their behaviour is such annoying and saddening that nobody will like them. In fact, so many people I meet, hates them being in Thailand and ruining atmosphere.. The worst part is that I myself look like russian and it takes a big job to socialize with someone on night out that I even sometimes don't even try. I don't even speak russian nor do I behave like one but the physics destroys everyones mood when they see me sitting in the same bar or boat or etc. sad.png But boy, when I do say that I am not a russian the whole evening turns around and you can start enjoying socializing and nights out again . Sadly, not so many left to socialize with in Phuket, who are not russians themselves amd speak english..

Start wearing different clothes and get a different haircut if you look Russian.

It's not all that hard to not look like a Russian. Just stay away from polyester.

I have personally found them to be a bit obnoxious, yet I have met a few that were quite civil.

Russia is one HUGE country.

The nice ones I met were from Vladivostok, thousands of mile away from Moscow, and the were not shy about telling me, in perfect English that they had no use for the Muscovites either.

No idea if numbers are correct but they definitely dropped after the ruble conversion problem and the drop of petrol price (both been linked)..

I am pretty sure they will be back in force if their currency stabilize though.

They like the sun and the beach and the winters are very rough so they enjoy their winter break and Thailand is a good place for that.

Very similar to the Chinese actually and similar to European too: cold winter = take a week or 2 to the sunny area...

Since about every tourist destination around the Mediterranean sea is now considered as dangerous and full of terrorists, there is not much choice left ref to "safe and cheap" sea and sun destination so that could actually play in favor of Thailand...

l like them.

But then my grandfather came from Minsk so it may be blood calling to blood!

They got some good looking women with them.

In other news, Chinese tourists collectively spent 2,000 baht in 2015.

Bet you are the only ignorant person in Thailand ....having a meal in Chiangmaj Festival now ...westerners spending poor ...Chinese tons of bags ....unless they were buying pennies

Looks like everyone is already spending more than 2000 baht pp