Teacher Licensing, Culture Testing, TCT

Boatabike

Yes, I have my qualifications in PE and that makes me eligible to be a teacher and unlike other subject teachers(maths science) for my subject bachelor of education is not required.

But still my employer is asking for a teaching certificate. what do i do???

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have my qualifications in PE and that makes me eligible to be a teacher and unlike other subject teachers(maths science) for my subject bachelor of education is not required.

But still my employer is asking for a teaching certificate. what do i do???

Did your employer tell you what specific kind of "teaching certificate" you are expected to provide?

Does your employer have any special reason for requiring said "teaching certificate, i.e., government requirement, personal preference, etc.?

In fact, is this only something being required by your employer?

yes, my employer school said it was required for governmnet use, yes i did ask him what kind of teaching certificate he is looking for?? the answer i got was " same like a teaching certificate with people from USA or UK etc". Now what does that suppose to be???

very confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I received the following information from a former employer, I edited the contents somewhat to leave out their name. I am posting this because I think some people would be interested. This former employer was pretty lenient on their requirements in a past time.

TEACHERS TRAINING COURSE 3-6TH MAY

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TEACHERS LICENSE COURSE IS FROM THE 3RD TO THE 6TH MAY 2008

This license will be done through the auspices of Prasarnamitt Univeristy

114 Sukumvit 23 Wattana district Bangkok

Accommmodation also in this area – to be advised

Cost for teachers as follows;

Registration 500 B

Cost of training 1500 B

Accommodation 2500 B

Translations around 500 B Total 5,000

of documents

This certificate issued by the Prasarnamitt University is to register that you have attended the Teachers License course

THOSE WHO STAY IN THAILAND LONGER THAN 4 MONTHS WILL BE REQUIRED TO SIT FOR THE TEACHERS COUNCIL OF THAILAND EXAM

This will be at a further cost of 1,000 B and dates will be advised

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT WE CANNOT EMPLOY YOU WTHOUT THIS

My understanding is that "teaching certificate" for a foreign teacher means, that which allow you to teach in a government school in your home country. If you're American therefore, I think it would be a degree and current certification. If you're British it would be a degree and PGCE (OR a four-year B.Ed. degree). I'm not sure about other countries.

Graham

Thanks a lot guys the information provided is clearing my vision of teaching certificate now.

thank you very much once again. If there is any other information i need to know regarding certifications please do let me know it will be a kind favour done.

Thanks and regards to all..

Thanks a lot guys the information provided is clearing my vision of teaching certificate now.

thank you very much once again. If there is any other information i need to know regarding certifications please do let me know it will be a kind favour done.

Thanks and regards to all..

Three times in your post "Thanks". You should be from the Philippines!

Petch01

• 4 weeks later...

I have a degree in physics but I dont have a teaching certification. My school told me that I had to take a 2 day test. If I pass this test it would give me a thai teaching certification.

1) First I would like to know whether it is mandatory to pass this test in order to be allowed to teach in Thailand.

2) I took the test. It had 4 sections. It was the most stupid test I have taken in my life. The spelling, the grammar, the wording, the questions, everything was absolutely ridiculous. The guy who wrote (or translated)the test cannot write in English). It is extremely difficult to actually pass the test since many questions are ununderstandable. I would like to know if there is anything that can be done about this or if can complain to somebody.

3) Does anybody know what textbook this test is based upon?

Thank you

Come on, give the OP a break. Other than some parenthetical mistakes, using ununderstandable, and leaving out the pronominal subject I in one complex sentence, it was quite clear, more clear than many native speakers. Check forum rules, also.

Stamps reported elsewhere that the second setting of this incredibly difficult set of tests was rewritten, and it was slightly easier. However, it was still very hard to pass, there was no single assigned textbook to use in preparing for the tests, etc.

First, have you actually looked at the test? If you did not take the test you cannot know.

Second, I am not a native speaker and I dont teach English

Third, I did not bother to check my post

Fourth, I am not writing tests on a nation wide scale (for some comments on my own grammar)

Fifth, what is the OP?

Sixth, why give them a break? If I understand well this test qualifies me or disqualifies me to teach in Thailand, something quite serious.

Seventh, many people I have talked to during the examination period have the exact same opinion and most of them were native speakers. Actually I have not found one disagreeing with me on the test.

Eight, for every test there should be a reference, a body of knowledge we can all refere to and learn from. This test does not have one, as far as I know.

>Eight, for every test there should be a reference, a body of knowledge we can all refere to and learn from.

Do you mean the answers? Why?

If you can read the answers it's not a test of skill or knowledge just if you can learn parrot fashion.

Before you criticize someone else's writing skills you might wish to check your own.

Get over it "twschw", you the God off all English are you?

After getting off the phone with my friend at the Khru Sapa (Teacher's Council), she has informed us that you can blog here, http://www.ksp.or.th/modules/blog/detail.p...&BlogID=216, but to the OP, please can you take a look at your own grammar before criticizing others? You should be able to communicate properly before taking these tests, cause they're not for numpties, or poor L2 speakers. :D

Are you a non-native speaker?

Lost Gold you get over it too! Or are you the God of English? Had a guts full of people who have nothing else to do but critisize little piddly mistakes in peoples posts! :o

First, have you actually looked at the test? If you did not take the test you cannot know.

Second, I am not a native speaker and I dont teach English

Third, I did not bother to check my post

Fourth, I am not writing tests on a nation wide scale (for some comments on my own grammar)

Fifth, what is the OP?

Sixth, why give them a break? If I understand well this test qualifies me or disqualifies me to teach in Thailand, something quite serious.

Seventh, many people I have talked to during the examination period have the exact same opinion and most of them were native speakers. Actually I have not found one disagreeing with me on the test.

Eight, for every test there should be a reference, a body of knowledge we can all refere to and learn from. This test does not have one, as far as I know.

Hushai1, all I can say is welcome to Thailand buddy :D , the land of utter wonder. Some days are good, some are extremely frustrating. I've never heard of any such test, but it doesn't surprise me that the person who wrote it can't actually write English, and when marking your test, they probably had the wrong answers anyway.

Like the <deleted> who already pointed out that there were a couple of errors in your post, from what I can see your more than qualified to teach English here, even if English is not your first language. Good luck champ! :D

Feel free anyone to correct any erros in that post....please!

Edited by DavieA

I am a bit surprised at the level of abuse flung at the OP (this means opening post/poster Hushai1). He was only looking for a bit of information and his post was reasonable. We all make grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes, and this is meant to be an informal place to chat.

I have heard similar criticisms about the test from other people. I don't know what the answer is. I have been told that I may have to take the test myself even though I'm just about to complete a PGCE. I suppose the only thing we can do is play the game. I am sure you can sit the test again if you fail. At least the second time round you will have a better idea about what it entails.

Good luck.

Edited by garro

Excuse my ignorance, is this the new teaching test that all people need to undertake to obtain a teaching licence? I'v had a TL for nearly three years, so I'm wondering if I'll have to do this when I go to renew my TL?

Lay off the OP as well, he's asking some sensible questions which effect everyone here.

I am a bit surprised at the level of abuse flung at the OP (this means opening post/poster Hushai1). He was only looking for a bit of information and his post was reasonable. We all make grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes, and this is meant to be an informal place to chat.

Exactly Garro....good on you buddy.

I suppose the only thing we can do is play the game.

Playing the game is what it's all about here. It's fun too at that!

So are we all subject to Grammar and Spelling check's now ?

I thought this was a place to chill not checked :o

so many people so many views so many high horses

Edited by colino

I used to think a pedant was the foot of an ant. Etymologically, that makes sense. It typifies the lengths some pedants go to find an error.

Mea culpa!! I referred to the special rules for the Teaching in Thailand forum, and now I see those rules do not forbid pedantry. However, it is still rude or impolite to point out tiny errors. As the OP stated, he is not an English teacher, and not even a native speaker. However, he writes better than aussiestyle1983! :o aussiestyle and I both put disclaimers in our signatures. When we post here, we are not teaching English to our readers. We may be tired, inebriated, frustrated, etc.

Back on topic, it appears the Teachers Council of Thailand, a new kid on the block, has allowed its professional reputation to be soiled early in its career.

I used to think a pedant was the foot of an ant. Etymologically, that makes sense. It typifies the lengths some pedants go to find an error.

Mea culpa!! I referred to the special rules for the Teaching in Thailand forum, and now I see those rules do not forbid pedantry. However, it is still rude or impolite to point out tiny errors. As the OP stated, he is not an English teacher, and not even a native speaker. However, he writes better than aussiestyle1983! :D aussiestyle and I both put disclaimers in our signatures. When we post here, we are not teaching English to our readers. We may be tired, inebriated, frustrated, etc.

Back on topic, it appears the Teachers Council of Thailand, a new kid on the block, has allowed its professional reputation to be soiled early in its career.

We shouldn't be suprised. :o

I would be interested to know some of the content, not specific questions.

Did it ask about models of curriculm design?

Development psychology? Piaget, Vygotsky

Learning theory? Gardner etc

Bloom: cognitive, affective, psycho motor domains?

I would be interested to know some of the content, not specific questions.

Did it ask about models of curriculm design?

Development psychology? Piaget, Vygotsky

Learning theory? Gardner etc

Bloom: cognitive, affective, psycho motor domains?

These specific questions were left out this time. One single question I remember was:"who invented Multiple Intelligences"?

Many questions involved case studies. To answer them, one should have read some books about Educational Psychology, Curriculum Development, Learning Management and the Thai Educational Acts.

Petch01

Why do you have to close the thread because you don't agree with what I said?

Any educator should know about multiple intelligences theory (Howard Gardner) , it is basic knowledge.

I haven't seen the tests yet myself as I don't have to do them, but they look like they test some basic knowledge that is covered in any teaching qualification course.

Edited by haltes

I agree with what you've said but not all teachers are intelligent as you are.

Any educator should know about multiple intelligences theory (Howard Gardner) , it is basic knowledge.

You are educated. We aren't.

I haven't seen the tests yet myself as I believe that I don't have to do them, but they look like they test some basic knowledge that is covered in any teaching qualification course.

I've seen them twice. Don't you really get it?

We are teachers at government or private schools. We came here with our degree in A. or Sc. That seems not to be enough anymore. We are trying to coop with that! We are not teachers at international schools with Education Degrees, PGCE's or Grad.Dip.T.P. because that wasn't asked before at government schools or private schools. I'm a teacher in Thailand since June 2002. At that time schools only wanted a B.A. or B.Sc. Don't shoot me about the TCT exemption. I didn't have a WP in those first years. I was working for a Siam agency.

Haltes, mate. You should know!

Petch01

Petch01, I do understand and would like to say that you (and all in the same situation) have my sympathies at the cack handed, inept, incompetent way that these tests have been implemented without any discussion at all BUT I can also on the other hand understand the idea behind the testing plan which is to try to ensure that teachers have the appropriate pedagogical knowledge to do their job properly.

If people feel they lack the knowledge to pass these tests, they can always do a course or do some reading up on some theory in order to pass the tests.

I am not sure what the end result of the tests will be. Will there be any teachers left? Will anyone want to try and pass these tests? Will it deter people from coming to teach here and act as the catalyst forcing people to leave?

I have my own ideas as to the answers to these questions but I will say that I think a lot of schools will find it more and more difficult to recruit and retain teachers legally and it won't only be the teachers who will suffer.

Alas the dice are cast...

Edited by haltes

some people writing in this thread are just idiots. can't even understand the OP.

I dont care to get trained as a teacher (I am new in the teaching profession)and i dont care if the tests are difficult, I had my share of incredibly difficult tests in the past and I am not one bit scared about difficulty and work.

My problems are

1) nobody told me how to get prepared for the test. Not one hint coming from the test makers. This alone is ridiculous. I had absolutely no idea what to expect and anyway very little time to get some preparation if I had known how to prepare.

2) the test was writen in very bad english. Many grammatical and spelling mistakes, confusing sentences, very bad choice of words.... obviously the tests have been translated from thai tests and the translation was of the worst kind. Why dont they ask the help of a native speaker? To proud to do it I assume.

3) there is a problem when all the native speakers I talked to just could not understand some questions because of the way they were expressed. My first try with thaivisa and probably my last. I did not even get the answers I was looking for. too many smartasses on this site. some people are nice on this site and I thank them. bye

It is still the worst test I have ever seen!! Just a joke.

Hi, there, everyone.

I'd just like to add that flaming is against Thaivisa rules (and teaching subforum rules) and one or two flamers will be removed from this thread (along with their posts).

In general, it is off-topic, inflammatory, and not encouraged to comment on a poster's grammar and spelling unless:

a. he asks for us to do so,

b. it is directly pertinent to the subject matter of the thread, or

c. he is "ununderstandable."

None of these is currently the case, as I understand the OP is a physics teacher- it would desirable for him to have perfect grammar and spelling, but I doubt it is absolutely necessary (or something which is even the case for his detractors); furthermore, the topic here is the entrance tests (about Thai musical instruments or whatever other silly things they have thought of) which all of us may eventually have to face. If he has accurate information about them it is invaluable to the forum, and to all of us.

"S"

I haven't seen the tests yet myself as I don't have to do them, but they look like they test some basic knowledge that is covered in any teaching qualification course.

Did you bother to read the OP? He was complaining that he couldn't understand the wording of the questions. He later pointed out that his native speaking colleagues couldn't understand the wording of the question. I have never failed an exam in my life but would be worried about a test, which was written in such a way, where I couldn't understand the questions.

So you claim that you don't need to do the test. Well aren't you the clever boy. And haven't you shown us how clever you are with your intelligent posts. Isn't it a pity that you didn't feel the need to post something that could help the OP. Naw, just post to try and inflate your own pompous ego.

Edited by garro