Teacher Licensing, Culture Testing, TCT

Boatabike

I've been looking for teaching positions for the past month with no luck. I have a BS in Biology and a SIT TESOL certificate. I believe I'm suitably educated to teach English in Thailand but was confused as to the lack of response(s). Until recently, I had blamed my difficulty finding a job on timing and/ or lack of actual teaching experience. (I know January is not the best month to start looking for teaching positions, and the only actual English teaching experience is what I obtained during the SIT TESOL course.)

The other day a friend sent me this link:

[unapproved content removed]

He asked if these regulations indeed applied for the 2009 school year. I told him they didn't, in my opinion, since I have several friends that are actively teaching in Thailand, and they've not heard of these requirements (even though they plan to continue teaching when the new school year begins in May, 2009). Now, after looking for work to no avail, I'm concerned that they might actually be required.

Does anyone have solid information regarding these requirements?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi!!! if anyone who u doesn't have a degree in education but already teading in Thailand here's the good news! We're on the same situation! and according to the education ministry we are not legally teaching if we don't have the teaching license in thailand. 1st we must attend "Thai Culture Training" (in which i already did), then we must pass 4 sets of education exams or take 1 year degree in education in any of the universities in thailand. we have all these, we are qualified to apply for the teaching license. but the good news is, this license is only valuable in Thailand and not anywhere else in the world. what r u guys planning to do? pls let me know, i will go with majorities.

P.S.

if u r teaching in a province (just like me) there is no distant studies. we must go to bangkok universities and find a suitable time on a weekend until we complete 18 units. lucky for those who lives in bangkok, can u accomodate us (hahahahah). it is going to be a costly exercise, travelling long distance, finding accommodation, etc etc etc. my temporary teaching license was valid only for 2 yrs and will expire nxtyr in March. I still have 1 yr to study if i can afford! Otherwise, shifting career might be another option. Goodluck to us!!! God bless u all!!!

We have a whole inconclusive thread on these unproven, undocumented, mysterious requirements (with which this one will now be merged). There are many other reasons you may be having trouble getting paperwork or landing a job (not least of which is what you yourself point out- that it is more or less the worst time of year for trying to land a new job); read around and weep.

hi!!! if anyone who u doesn't have a degree in education but already teading in Thailand here's the good news! We're on the same situation! and according to the education ministry we are not legally teaching if we don't have the teaching license in thailand. 1st we must attend "Thai Culture Training" (in which i already did), then we must pass 4 sets of education exams or take 1 year degree in education in any of the universities in thailand. we have all these, we are qualified to apply for the teaching license. but the good news is, this license is only valuable in Thailand and not anywhere else in the world. what r u guys planning to do? pls let me know, i will go with majorities.

P.S.

if u r teaching in a province (just like me) there is no distant studies. we must go to bangkok universities and find a suitable time on a weekend until we complete 18 units. lucky for those who lives in bangkok, can u accomodate us (hahahahah). it is going to be a costly exercise, travelling long distance, finding accommodation, etc etc etc. my temporary teaching license was valid only for 2 yrs and will expire nxtyr in March. I still have 1 yr to study if i can afford! Otherwise, shifting career might be another option. Goodluck to us!!! God bless u all!!!

You teach?! What subject? Please don't say you are an English teacher! If so I am starting to understand why they are introducing these new regulations & requirements, I guess they want to make sure their students are being taught by someone proficient in English.

Hi, jhingay2,

These are the latest rumours, and very old rumours, but let's not lose our bloomers. Chances are these impossibilities will never happen, surely not soon. If you check, there is a similar thread here already.

I work in a large Government High School English Programme with 12 foreign staff. We have been following the requirements of the TCT and have completed 2 of the 3 clauses for acquiring a teacher’s license. Many teachers are due to renew their visa and one of the requirements for a visa renewal is a teacher’s license, this is being asked for at the immigration office.

Only one of the 12 teachers in my school has a teacher’s license the rest of us are waiting for our boss to finish the paperwork and get our temporary license.

So it now appears all visa renewals/one year extensions at your local immigration office for a teacher’s visa will now only be granted with a teacher’s license or a temporary teachers license.

Good luck to all…

Matt

I am the EP Coordinator at the largest school in the Rayong province. Our school obtained 2 new WPs and 3 renewals today for teachers who have in no way complied with the alleged TCT teacher licensing requirements. Rayong immigration specifically stated that a teacher's license, temporary or otherwise, is not a requirement for obtaining a new WP/extension to stay, or a renewal, for a foreign teacher.

I am the EP Coordinator at the largest school in the Rayong province. Our school obtained 2 new WPs and 3 renewals today for teachers who have in no way complied with the alleged TCT teacher licensing requirements. Rayong immigration specifically stated that a teacher's license, temporary or otherwise, is not a requirement for obtaining a new WP/extension to stay, or a renewal, for a foreign teacher.

Thats funny because my E.P boss just got off the phone with Mabtaput Immigration and they stated they have been asking since November for Teacher's License!!

But this is Thailand after all!!

Thats funny because my E.P boss just got off the phone with Mabtaput Immigration and they stated they have been asking since November for Teacher's License!!

Yes, it is Thailand! And you believe your boss . . . :o

Well, Nan immigration also refuse to give extensions of stay if you don't have a teacher license.

So you could possibly get your WP renewed but then when you go to immigration to get your Non-Imm B extended they could say no without a Teachers License? What happens then? How long does it take to get the 2 year temporary license? What are the requirements for the temporary license? Crazy country!

Which teacher's license are we discussing? One related to little more than the Mickey Mouse Thai Culture course, a two year exemption license, a license based on passing an impossible series of absurd tests, or a license based on passing a long, difficult, obscure and weird course which is not licensed or explained by the TCT?

It has been confirmed by various phone calls that all immigration offices are asking for teacher's license or temporary teacher’s license when processing extensions of non-B visa’s based upon teaching.

It’s about time that people started taking this license thing a bit more serious, as after a little research I have discovered no license no visa.

Edited by AJmatt

It has been confirmed by various phone calls that all immigration offices are asking for teacher's license or temporary teacher's license when processing extensions of non-B visa's based upon teaching.

It's about time that people started taking this license thing a bit more serious, as after a little research I have discovered no license no visa.

I fail to understand your fixation on this issue which most government school teachers believe to be a scam. You think because some podunk immigration offices in the sticks are trying to implement obsolete regulations that the entire country is going to follow their lead, lock, stock and barrel. I don't think so.

Maybe someone you know has a financial interest in the "culture course" or "graduate education course"? How many TL's have been issued to date? Guess what? It's less than 500! What about all the students in those graduate education courses who received cancellation letters? Why did those cancellation letters get sent? What happens if the MOE's regulations which come out in April obviate the alleged need for a TL?

Don't try to pass off your experiences as the law in Thailand. They aren't. I don't doubt your experiences. I do question your motives trying to pass those experiences off as the law of the land.

With my amazing powers of 6th dimensional extrasensory perception, I sense somewhere yet another probably non-native-English-speaking shill for the all-but-discredited TCT, desperately attempting to talk up the worthless so-called 'courses' and 'tests'- a post in another thread recently (HERE!) has already debunked the idea that these courses and tests will pan out to anything- instead, the current government wants to set up their OWN bogus courses and tests.

Wasn't a recently banned (for shilling) poster someone whose wife's cousin's friend's barber was a member of the TCT, who was photocopying random questions from foreign tests?

Find me a TCT or government statement that definitely lists the actual requirements- including EXACTLY what types of foreign qualifications qualify one for teacher licenses (and doesn't simply say, 'the TCT will evaluate each individual situation and get back to you')- and I'll eat my hat.

It has been confirmed by various phone calls that all immigration offices are asking for teacher's license or temporary teacher’s license when processing extensions of non-B visa’s based upon teaching.

It’s about time that people started taking this license thing a bit more serious, as after a little research I have discovered no license no visa.

LoLs - nutter

Matt, your understanding of the Thai law about licenses and visas may well apply in your part of Bumfcuk, Thailand. And your fine, well educated Thai wife probably has a great smile and wears impressive suits on Friday. But we do not buy that TCT shit, and neither do 99% of the posters on other Thai teachers' websites. We have spent the last several years being jerked around by jerks.

A Filipino teacher from my school just got a phone call from her friend who went to get her Non-Imm B visa extended today but the immigration at Mae Sai would not extend it because she did not have the Thai Culture Certificate! They did not ask for a teachers license, only proof that she has attended the Thai Culture seminar and without it they won't extend her visa.

Matt, your understanding of the Thai law about licenses and visas may well apply in your part of Bumfcuk, Thailand. And your fine, well educated Thai wife probably has a great smile and wears impressive suits on Friday. But we do not buy that TCT shit, and neither do 99% of the posters on other Thai teachers' websites. We have spent the last several years being jerked around by jerks.

I understand that many people don't buy into this TCT */*!’ But until it affects folk personally then I guess people will spout off about it. I have a son being born in one months time, my visa isn’t due for renewal until October, but with 9 teachers in my school renewing this month, and next, and they are being asked for licenses’ I have to take it seriously!!!!

Anyway I have enrolled at a University to study my Masters in Education Administration on Saturdays and Sundays for the next two years. This will entitle me to a teacher’s license and an administration license and of course a Master degree. My wife is presenting her thesis for this course on April the 4th, the baby s due on April the 13th so hopefully my boy will stay in long enough for my wife to finish her degree. Even if all this TCT malarkey! Goes away I will still get a degree in Education which will hopefully brighten my future pay packets etc…

Anyway I hope that all this TCT */*!’ is cleared up soon.

^That's the most sensible thing I've seen you post, and I heartily encourage all of our readers who are current or aspiring teachers to attend to their professional development in a sensible and reliable way by continuing their education through REAL programs, such as REAL bachelor's or master's degrees in education.

A Filipino teacher from my school just got a phone call from her friend who went to get her Non-Imm B visa extended today but the immigration at Mae Sai would not extend it because she did not have the Thai Culture Certificate! They did not ask for a teachers license, only proof that she has attended the Thai Culture seminar and without it they won't extend her visa.

Sorry, just had confirmed to me that she was asked for a Teachers License, NOT the Thai Culture Certificate. The new head immigration bod up at Mae Sai said it is a requirement when extending Non-Imm B Visas for teachers. No Teachers License = No Visa extension!

My boss at my school rang the top immigration officer who confirmed this to him but said that it isn't a requirement if you work at a private school (which I do), if you work at a private school they will extend your visa without the Teachers License.

It has been confirmed by various phone calls that all immigration offices are asking for teacher's license or temporary teacher's license when processing extensions of non-B visa's based upon teaching.

It's about time that people started taking this license thing a bit more serious, as after a little research I have discovered no license no visa.

What about extensions of non-O visa based on marriage of a farang teacher who got work permit for teaching but does not have the teacher's license ?

What about extensions of non-O visa based on marriage of a farang teacher who got work permit for teaching but does not have the teacher's license ?

I am not sure. I am thinking about changing my Non B visa to a Non O visa as this will be more secure for my wife and son.

I think the visa will still be issued to you as you are extending visa due to marriage. Get your lady to ring immigration in another province to the one you are going to be using and ask if it will be required.

Good luck!

The non-imm O based on marriage is extended based on marriage. In Thai the words are something like 'support Thai wife'. I'm pretty sure you won't be asked for anything connected with the TL... but who knows for sure!

Non-imm O based on marriage is better than non-imm B based on wp because if your wp ends, your non-imm B is cancelled but your non-imm O isn't.

Link to an English translation of the new requirements for a visa extension as from Nov 25th 2008

http://www.norcham.com/attach_file/newsfile_215_200.pdf