Root canal treatment

thai tiger

Remember the price can vary quite a bit by the quality of gold used in the crown (if a gold filled crown). Normally there are three fees - one for the RCT, another to install a post (not always required but makes stronger base for crown) and final price for crown.

my crown cost me 8k bahts. but I had already root canal. so maybe 10k with root canal.

3h work plus crown=8k bahts in Pattaya (molar, porcelaine & steel crown )

pm me for my doctor phone number . he is talented. no pain, and take good care of his customers.

Edited by VIPinthailand

yes thanks does seem at bit expensive then,as has been said 'tourist area'...............crown was 13k,post 4k and 5 visits 10k,A friend back home (uk) has said around 300 pound,will have to mull it over...............maybe just stick to a liquid diet !

From my own experience The standard of Dental work in the UK is absolutely shocking. Had 2 root canal done. One completly in Thailand totally excellent. and second root done in Thailand it took some time before it settled so had the crown replaced in the UK... mistake , the 2 feel like chalk and cheese the Thai crown feels like a real tooth in every way, the UK national health feels like a ill fitted blob. English dentists,, imo are total rubbish,, wouldn't give you 2 bob for the lot of them,, stick to Thailand or even better still go to India.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A dentist recommended root canal treatment for about 1 1/2 years ago. In the past I have always gone straight ahead & had it done. I read some negative things about root canal so I got a 2nd opinion. He said no need & went ahead with crown only. since then no problems. I think the negativity surrounding root canal is to with the type of chemical used so if you do have root canal treatment ask what chemical is used before agreeing.

In past years I had work done at this place and they list prices on their website: www.phuketcosmeticdentalclinic.com I continue to use them for my dental work.

One note of caution: I had a bridge done by this clinic and it failed within 1 week. They had used a cheap zirconia material. When I went back, they acted surprised that the crown failed and they replaced it with a stronger porcelain and metal crown. Before this incident, I had never known that there were these cheezy dental materials and you had to specifically ask for the high quality crowns. (Probably common in Asia.... People will always try to use cheap materials.) The dentist was apologetic and they did the replacement at no charge, which was nice. But lesson learned.

Some local friends use the dental clinic at Bangkok Hospital and say they are very happy with that place. I think it's more expensive, but Western quality levels.

Good luck

Edited by TonyBB

I've always used the dental clinic at Bangkok Phuket Hospital, Phuket Town, very clean and professional. Don't know what they get for this treatment but might be worth a look.

Prince Charles Simpsons cartoon not funny huh? O.K., to each their own thumbsup.gif

Edited by grumpyoldman

In past years I had work done at this place and they list prices on their website: www.phuketcosmeticdentalclinic.com I continue to use them for my dental work.

One note of caution: I had a bridge done by this clinic and it failed within 1 week. They had used a cheap zirconia material. When I went back, they acted surprised that the crown failed and they replaced it with a stronger porcelain and metal crown. Before this incident, I had never known that there were these cheezy dental materials and you had to specifically ask for the high quality crowns. (Probably common in Asia.... People will always try to use cheap materials.) The dentist was apologetic and they did the replacement at no charge, which was nice. But lesson learned.

Some local friends use the dental clinic at Bangkok Hospital and say they are very happy with that place. I think it's more expensive, but Western quality levels.

Good luck

Despite that experience you're still using them? Sorry, don't understand that.

I'm in the middle of getting 3 root canals now. I first went to Phuket Bangkok hospital and they quoted me 35,000 baht all in for a back molar. Rang Hill charges the same as Bangkok Phuket Hospital. A few colleagues recommended DN Dental clinic across from the big Tesco Lotus near central: http://www.phuketdndental.com/

Ask for Dr. Nan. She's the best dentist I've been to in Thailand. Treatment hasn't been nearly as painful as other places I've been to. 10,000 for root canal treatment (back molar), 4,000 for the pin and crowns start at 8,000. You'll need to call first for an appointment - she's usually quite busy.

@OP

+1 for Rang Hill Dental Clinic.

The cost you've been given is reasonable for a properly done job.

In durianfan's post #16, you can see the cost of a decent private hospital which is in line with what you've been quoted. So, the price is acceptable. What you need to know is whether or not you'll get a good job. If you trust your guy, go for it. Otherwise the suggestions here might be worth a try for a second opinion. It can't hurt.

Re: Root canal treatment, the "problem" with it; the reason that everyone groans when they find they need one, isn't the chemicals (if you use the recommended dental materials for the job, they will be biocompatible) but the time it takes, the possibility of pain, the failure rate and the cost.

If a root canal is done to the highest standards using evidence-based methods, the chance of long-term success is high, however failures do happen and roots can fracture, so there's more to go wrong with a root filling than in the case of a routine tooth filling.

Still, if you can keep the tooth, with a root filling and a crown, I'd go for that, in fact I have one!

The alternative is extraction and a denture (not popular) or extraction and an implant, the cost of which makes the crown option look cheap!

Good luck!

@rijit

I'm sorry to have to say this but you're an idiot!

If you want to badmouth all dentists in the UK in the unpleasant way you have, you'd better have more evidence than your very limited and maybe unfortunate experience.

I used to be one of those UK dentists and my partners and I worked very hard to provide above-average care to people.

Of course there are bad dentists, but there are anywhere.

Get a sense of perspective!

wai.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Recommendations from your fellow expats or locals whom you really trust would be of great help. I had my root canal treatments done at Thantakit Dental in Bangkok. You might have heard about this highly popular place that caters to expats. My friends who have major dental surgeries and implants have spoken very highly of the work done at Thantakit. My treatment was seamless, and so was the communication. There's just so many terrifying news about poor dental services in Thailand so might as well pick a reputable place for your dental needs. It's definitely worth it.

Strange post - having had dental work done in Thailand for the last 45 years this is the first I have heard of poor dental services in Thailand. Yes four decades ago you might have to use a limited number of established facilities for the best care but even outside them it was not really poor compared to most of the world (best in Bangladesh when it became a country was using foot drill with no access to any pain medications). True there are always those that have problems - but I have had a lot less here than with US dental care. That said would go with the clinic approach which is the strong point here - doctors do one thing and do it well.