Teach English in Thailand...399 usd for two weeks.....

bangmai

I know nothing about this group in particular, but the concept of paying your own expenses while doing volunteer work is pretty universally accepted.

$400 for 2 weeks in a dorm and (possibly) sharing accommodations and getting to know other volunteers seems like a pretty reasonable price.

I'd call and ask them about legalities/ work permits before I'd make a blanket statement that what they're doing is illegal. I'd also consider asking for references from their alums.

Believe it or not, there are people who want to do good in the world, and are willing to use their resources in the endeavor.

Once again, not an endorsement of these folks since I know nothing about them. But the concept is certainly appealing.

Edited by impulse

I know nothing about this group in particular, but the concept of paying your own expenses while doing volunteer work is pretty universally accepted.

$400 for 2 weeks in a dorm and (possibly) sharing accommodations and getting to know other volunteers seems like a pretty reasonable price.

I'd call and ask them about legalities/ work permits before I'd make a blanket statement that what they're doing is illegal. I'd also consider asking for references from their alums.

Believe it or not, there are people who want to do good in the world, and are willing to use their resources in the endeavor.

Once again, not an endorsement of these folks since I know nothing about them. But the concept is certainly appealing.

Yes, many willing to try and do good, others looking for a way/excuse to come party in Thailand, and some laughing all the way to the bank. 400 for 2 weeks isn't a lot by western standards...but you could actually get a private hotel room with a/c and eat the two meals a day in one of 1000 restaurants for somewhat less than that. Spending your time with other clueless foreigners, doesn't seem to be the best way to get acclimated. Do you think they ever considered volunteering at some of the hideous institutions in their hometowns/countries? Oh, and there is a promotion...800 usd for one week at the elephant camp...cheesy.gif I think I would still feel more sorry for the elephants.

This is not a new scheme. I first heard of it 10 years ago.

The company ( and there are several) arranges for the 'teacher' to go to a Govt. School for 3 weeks to teach English to the children. As most of the 'teachers' are in their early twenties and have just graduated from a University in their home country, this is a chance to see a little of Thailand, and to assist in a poorer school that would have had little or no contact with Native English speakers.

.Most of the teaching is game based, singing songs, and having fun, as opposed to being taught English in a proper fashion. Accommodation is provided and usually two meals a day. Sometimes they stay with parents of the children whom they have taught to experience real Thai living situations. Afterhours and week ends they are shown the local sights and do day trips to other provinces.

When I first heard and met some of these 'teachers' I was interested in how they coped with work permits and visas. Being a teacher here one does what is required by law and would expect any other teachers to follow the law as well. I raised the matter at the Labour Dept. I use and was told..... " A blanket work permit has been issued by the Labour Dept. to cover all the teachers in this scheme in my Province. No individual Work Permits are issued"

A few months later I gave several English lessons to the local police, in case any Tourists should see the police. A few weeks later I was invited to a graduation ceremony at a large Temple in the district. About 100 police men were given certificates showing their attendance and passing an English Course given by the same company that supplies these 'teachers". I asked the people in the company, why do they teach English to police men .. the answer.. " It makes it easier for us who supply the 'teachers' to have no worries with visas and work permits from the police, not like real Teachers here have!."

My understanding is that today in our province there are 15/ 20 of these 'teachers' here for 3 weeks and then another group arrive for their 3 weeks of teaching. Most now come from Europe rather than from Great Britain/U.S.A./ Canada.

Our local Education Dept are aware of these teachers and encourage them as they at least give the students a chance to met English speakers, some thing they would miss out on.

How good it all is I don't really know, but some one is making a bucket of money,... provide the food, the accommodation, and transport in the district. The food is average and most of them eat out any way in the markets.

The local Kasikorn Bank manager asked my wife and I to do something like this because the income was so great. Not interested as it could be killed off in a flash by the Govt of the day, and that was 10 years ago.

CHEERS

BAYBOY

note, the 399 is by far the cheapest option..."The Low Cost English." However, three weeks is 479, but...three weeks at the Orphanage is 1229 usd. By most standards, the "blanket WP," represents more of a quid pro quo system, than being 100% legal. As far as the banker...yes, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the potential profits in getting people to pay to work; it's been the fuel for the TEFL training business for years. Like adoption agencies, as long as their is a paid demand; there will be orphans or in this case students.

I saw the good old "intern" marketing scam coming back to the surface a few days ago. It might have been on this forum. There is no reason to pay to teach, not to mention, think you are in fact an "intern" at one of these schools therefore accepting half or less in wages. People are hired with no experience and little or no University education quite often. It again comes down to needing a teacher to get funding from Bangkok. In the case of "intern"s, the school is getting full teacher benefits(money from Bangkok) but only paying the "teacher" half or less than reported. I'm not posting they steal the remaining money, it just goes into the overall "budget" I assume. The ingenuity of these things is something so simple to devise most westerners would not think it's possible, but it is.

And there will always be people who miss out on all kinds of great experiences in life because they're so sure they're going to be scammed that they won't even bother to do just a little bit of diligence. Which is so much easier to do than when I was that age. Google can do in 2 minutes what I couldn't have possibly afforded back in the day.

$400 for 2 weeks. Hardly the scam of the century. I've spent more on a round of drinks. And those people didn't like me, and I didn't really care for them. But it's the way it worked...

And I didn't have a single good story I could tell the grandkids about the night I bought a round. I'm sure these kids will have plenty of great stories about their 2 weeks volunteer teaching in Thailand.

Edited by impulse

I actually did a Summer internship between my 3rd and 4th year of Uni. I worked for the Department of the Army at The Pentagon. Ronald Reagan walked across the hall into Casper Weinberger's Office, and I was standing about 15 feet away. People were cheering. Certainly something I can tell my grandkids about. Thing is, I was getting paid 5.95 per hour, given as long as I wanted for lunch, and got 4 hours of sick leave, and 4 hours of paid leave every two weeks. My time also counted towards Federal retirement. I remember talking to the Navy enlisted guys, who were preparing lunch for the meeting; lobster salad. Would I have done it for free, let alone paid to do it? NFW! Maybe that's why I have an 800 credit score, and was able to come here on a retirement visa at age 50, without many worries.

at the end of 2 weeks will the Thai students be better off or not ?

the "teachers" have good intentions , and need a few weeks in the real world.......and $400 is just so they can teach , they still need to fly to Thailand and hopefully have a few weeks for themselves to do stupid tourist things

the ones that seemed pissed off are the "real" teachers ,

The local schools are never going to have the money to hire a real english teacher , this is much better than nothing.

'

where is the Thai Teacher's council, when you need them?

facepalm.gif

Doing what they usually do... Naff all.

The TCT is responsible for teacher licensing at formal schools. A volunteer organization (whether it's set up as a foundation, non-formal school or business) and their volunteers wouldn't have any legal obligations to the TCT.

facepalm.gif

The TCT is responsible for teacher licensing at formal schools. A volunteer organization (whether it's set up as a foundation, non-formal school or business) and their volunteers wouldn't have any legal obligations to the TCT.

They would if the teachers were working at schools that fall under OBEC supervision.

But I imagine the volunteers are classified as teaching assistants rather than teachers.

Edited by casualbiker

facepalm.gif

They would if the teachers were working at schools that fall under OBEC supervision.

But I imagine the volunteers are classified as teaching assistants rather than teachers.

If they are employed as assistants, they won't need a teacher license.

This is just a sad little scam. It provides no training and no serious learning outcome for student or teacher. The only help you are providing is to help the owners of this no doubt illegal company is to help them grow richer.

The entire program is put together not to help anyone learn English, but help themselves to your savings.

Six month contracts

Pay for TEFL class - guaranteed job (27k)

Complicated contracts, probationary periods

Accepting of non degree with degreed

Low pay/high requirements

Africans, Indians in employ

Huge schools with armies of teachers

All bad signs.

This is just a sad little scam. It provides no training and no serious learning outcome for student or teacher. The only help you are providing is to help the owners of this no doubt illegal company is to help them grow richer.

The entire program is put together not to help anyone learn English, but help themselves to your savings.

Six month contracts

All bad signs.

You didn't actually visit the website linked in the OP did you?

It's a volunteer position for a few weeks.

Six month contracts

All bad signs.

You didn't actually visit the website linked in the OP did you?

It's a volunteer position for a few weeks.

He never does. He normally just unloads about how terrible every other Teacher in Thailand is. But he's perfect!