Can a foreigner get an international drivers license from Thai DMV

krey

11 hours ago, cusanus said:

Not sure I understand you entirely. I need only go to the DMV with a yellow book (and a copy of it, I suppose). There's no need to get the residence cert first from Immigration, what a pain. ?  Is that right? 

When it comes to the land transport office proving residence is usually possible one of 4 ways. 

Residence paper from immigration

Letter from embassy

Work permit

Yellow house book

As its Thailand you can always get a miss informed or grumpy member of staff who makes your life hard. But in theory those 4 are equivalent ways to the same end. 

18 hours ago, cusanus said:

Wow! Am visiting the states after residing in Chiang Mai 12 years. Expedia refused to rent me their $60 car because I have no valid USA driver's license, only the Thai five year (of course, my USA license expired long ago). But I told her the Internet (Hertz, etc...) told me the Thai license was good for rentals being it's in both Thai and English. No rent. So, I called rentalcars dot com and was told the Thai license was FINE, but it wouldn't hurt to have the IDP. I see the same thing repeated often, so I looked into getting the IDP. The latest info before this goes back several years and the discussion boils down to getting the residency certificate at Immigration which is THEN required for the IDP at the MVD. Here it looks as if all you need to do is go to the MVD with proof of residence. I'm reluctant to take on two trips with 2 copies of the passport and 3 photos, 500 baht for each place, and am having trouble keeping it all straight. I also need to get a re entry form. I'm just wondering if all I have to do is go to the MVD with the yellow book. That's what it sounds like we're saying here.  That wouldn't be difficult at all. Anybody concur with this? Guess I could give it a try.   

I went to Australia a few months ago, A Thai license is fine for renting a car and to use the roads legally, mainly because the card is both languages and both country's are members of an international road rule standard agreement.

Ok, here's what ended up happening, should be of interest. I was disappointed to learn that Expedia had a car for $10/day instead of $41, but turned me down because I didn't have a USA driver's license. So, I called back and complained and the next one called the car company and confirmed that a Thai driver's license was good enough and no IDP needed, either. So, I called the other agency and was still able to cancel out, then called Expedia back. Oh oh, again I wss told that a USA license was required. This time I was better prepared and said, hey, do what the last lady did and call the auto company to check, I'm sure a Thai driver's license is good. So, he did. Thrifty Auto said no problem. I ended up paying $50 for two days with taxes and other charges, so figure the one lady fibbed a little, but it's still a lot better than $82. And now it seems safe to forego the IDP, saves time, hassle and money. A Thai driver's license ought to be useable in the states, it's in English, no IDP necessary. 

7 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Why don't you book direct with the rental companies?

Indeed, that's where I ended, but they still have the drop off charge, $250 vs $300-500. Anyway, problem solved, my son volunteered to drive from Montana and pick me up. We have some shared business to take care of near Seattle, anyway. So now all I have to do is pay him for the gas, no big deal. Everything is looking good :)