Why Do We Write Farang

Pink Mist

You'll need to learn that Thai pronounce ROR as LOR and LOR as ROR Bronco.

Actually Dr PP, Southern Thais can pronounce the rolled r correctly. Apparently (according to dear hubby), the proper pronunciation is a rolled r and it is all those northerners who can't pronounce it correctly, and so, instead say L. :D

If you came south, the word would, indeed, be pronounced, farang. Or, in southern Thai (why say it long when you can make it short?) Rang. :o

If you came south, the word would, indeed, be pronounced, farang. Or, in southern Thai (why say it long when you can make it short?) Rang. :D

True, sbk. My colleagues from the south part say farrrang when alone with me and falang when with my Thai colleagues from BKK or North.

Go figure,... :o

Think you/ll find when farang is written in Thai script it is written ฟรั่ง the ร is the thai consonant lor-luer our equivilant would be the letter r.......if you were to write falang you would be using the thai consonant for the letter l which is lor-ling ( ล ) instead of the letter r . Here endth the lesson for today..... :o

Thanks for the lesson.

Bluecat: I know the spanish rolls their R's quite a bit. That's one reason why i kinda have a hard time speaking it. But im getting there, I need to understand my daughter somehow when she is speaking Spanish. English, Thai, and Laos i have no problem with. :o

It really depends too on the educational level of the Central Thai speaker. Many Thais I've met from the BKK area will pronounce the hard "R". Others will adopt the lazier form of Thai and pronounce say, the woman's name "Raneu" as "Laynu". I always say the hard R as a matter of habit. :o

What do you mean, Blonco? :o

not rearry sule bruecat, I knew that Doctol was just intelested, that's arr. My mates missus' name Rai Rai but is plonounced Lai Lai, ask wife why not sperr it that way and she shlugs shourders, don't know.

:D

You'll need to learn that Thai pronounce ROR as LOR and LOR as ROR Bronco.

Actually Dr PP, Southern Thais can pronounce the rolled r correctly. Apparently (according to dear hubby), the proper pronunciation is a rolled r and it is all those northerners who can't pronounce it correctly, and so, instead say L. :D

If you came south, the word would, indeed, be pronounced, farang. Or, in southern Thai (why say it long when you can make it short?) Rang. :D

herro sbk, indeed the southern dialect is quick and abrev some what - I am interested if where you are, they say pung instead of farang? :o

Here's one for you all.

I have come across a lot of farangs that do not bother to pronounce the names of places/people the way they should be.

For example-

Farang...Thai- fulung, Foreigner- ferang (pronouncing a as a rather than u)

Pattaya..Thai- Puteeyar, Foreigner- pataiya

Sri Racha...Thai- Seelarsha, foreigner Si Racha (emphises of the western CH sound)

Do you use the Thai pronunciations? or do you stick with how a foreigner would pronounce the word?

Looking at it the other way around, we know how to pronounce the names of the places in our countries of birth, but tourists and the like sometimes get it wrong, how does that makes you feel?

Gentleman, nope, just Rang. Must be a slightly different dialect where you are. Koh Samui, Phangan and Tao have some words that are used only here, thus locals can always tell who is local and who is not. Reminds me of a taxi ride in Samui once, I got on the songthaew in Nathon, two farang girls got on in Mae Nam, asked how much and he told them 50 baht to Chaweng. I got off in Chaweng as well and asked (with my purely islander dialect/accent) "Kay bahtuh?" He looked at me and said, "hah sip" . Only a Samui/Phangan/Tao person asks "kay bahtuh?" (how much?) :D

Although, to be honest, I get funny looks from the Thais in Bangkok :o

Think you/ll find when farang is written in Thai script it is written ????? the ? is the thai consonant lor-luer our equivilant would be the letter r.......if you were to write falang you would be using the thai consonant for the letter l which is lor-ling ( ? ) instead of the letter r . Here endth the lesson for today..... :o

It is Ror Ruer. That is why it corresponds to R

You are as muddled as most thais.

Luer means loose, about to fall off.............

What do you mean, Blonco? :o

not rearry sule bruecat, I knew that Doctol was just intelested, that's arr. My mates missus' name Rai Rai but is plonounced Lai Lai, ask wife why not sperr it that way and she shlugs shourders, don't know.

:D

Your Missus will box your ears soon Blonco.

a southern thai would also pronounce it at warp speed too.

whywhatdoyoumeanbythat?southernersdon'ttalkfast :o

Love it sbk. Don't let the locals see you taking the piss out of 'em. :D

Don't know about up North, but here the locals love it when you take the piss, they do it to each other constantly. It's funny, they are into so much slapstick on TV but in real life, love to tease each other.

Besides, the locals love my Thai! I speak it just as fast as they do :D

Looking at it the other way around, we know how to pronounce the names of the places in our countries of birth, but tourists and the like sometimes get it wrong, how does that makes you feel?

I hate the way our American friends pronounce Melbourne.

Its not Mell Born, its Melbun.