Stray dogs, are they dangerous?

cant recall exact # but just in bangkok a significant 3 of people die each month from rabies. throughout thailand the number is likely a lot higher not to forget a % of cases are not diagnosed or misdiagnosed making the true rate higher.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer they were all put down, soi dogs are vermin one step above rats, snakes and mice.

Thank goodness this is only your opinion.

You don't know Thais and Thailand very well if you think it's just my opinion, poison is the usual plan of action.

I most certainly DO know about Thai people and Thai dogs.

Dogs instinctively don't want to bite you but it seems you instinctively want to bite them. Where would you place yourself and the dog on the cruel and bad attitude scale?

No doubt you eat animals but love dogs? Ah but dogs are pets, so are snakes, rabbits and rats to some people. I don't believe in killing any animal or fish for food, but I do think pests like the million or so soi dogs need to be eradicated, and soon.

Carry a pocket knife

Absurd. A stick is the best defensive weapon there is. Especially for dogs. Why would you want to get close enough to the animal to cut it? Even against a knife a stick is a far better defense than another knife. Of course, the recommended defense against a knife is your feet -- run as fast as you can.

I think you are getting carried away here, I mean how many dogs carry knives??wink.png

No doubt you eat animals but love dogs? Ah but dogs are pets, so are snakes, rabbits and rats to some people. I don't believe in killing any animal or fish for food, but I do think pests like the million or so soi dogs need to be eradicated, and soon.

There is plenty of doubt - I don't eat animals.

You don't believe in killing any animal for food, but you think it is OK to mass slaughter soi dogs and other animals even when they are minding their own business?

On balance, I would much rather meet a soi dog than a Thai or farang with a prejudicial attitude.

I leave the "last word" to you.

Edited by ChrisKC

I've never found the stray dogs to be a problem. On the other hand, aggressive dogs belonging to irresponsible owners, who let them loose, unsupervised outside of their property have been a nuisance. Don't ever show a persistent dog any fear. Stand your ground and be dominant. If you want to carry a deterrent, vinegar directed from a little squirt gun has the desired result of sending them on their way. They hate the taste.

Thanks to everyone, it has been helpful. To be more exact I am trying to decide how dangerous the dogs are. There is some danger all the time in life but most of us (not all) will do things if the danger is low enough.

Rocketboy – thanks for your comment.

Roomuck why have you written “ Khon Kaen borders Sakon Nakhon. Maybe you should try there instead, if dogs worry you then that is the place to be”?

Back here in the UK I am a member of a lovely large health club and have been playing tennis everyday as there are 8 inside courts, plus having a swim. I have not always but now I try to keep reasonably healthy. I have friends but no family or commitments here in the UK, and meeting the right female partner has proved to be difficult over the last few years.

I don’t think I could live in my Thai girlfriends village happily. I have sampled short spells of about 1 day in a village. Typically people are very friendly and offer me food, maybe even have a laugh at my attempts to speak a few Thai words or use Google translate ……. but understandably they mostly talk amongst each other (as I would) ……. It becomes very boring ……. I went for a short walk …… I would have liked to walk further but was too scared because of the dogs.

Here in the UK if I walk with the Ramblers it is usually about 12 miles, take a packed lunch, there is very low risk from dogs, probably cows in fields would be a higher danger (but very low). In Thailand if I met up with a friend if it became dark I would feel I could not walk home even if it was just 1 or 2 km.

Ironically it seems that early morning or in the evening when the temperature is best for walking is when the dogs are more dangerous.

At the end of my holiday I met two very friendly French guys, one a very good golf player who improved my game …… so I did play 3 games of golf which I really enjoyed.

I am now thinking about trying to find out what facilities I can use at the university of Khon Kaen (I should have investigated more while there). If there are tennis courts, a gym and a swimming pool that I can use. That and golf I think would keep me happy as I think I now realize I could not comfortably walk about much.

I may start another thread about this.

Thanks again

Have not had time to read all the posts ' so sorry if any repeats

Rabies is prevalent in Thailand, nevertheless the Thais are not well educated in this subject....also I see a few, well very few Farangs carry sticks, I presume to keep dogs away....a walking stick would do...also I believe a dog can tell if you are afraid.

Other than that buy a Doberman lol.

you should be more aware of the thai ladies than the dogs as they can bite where it hurts.you dont need a stick to keep them away just empty pockets.

you could say they are simular to dogs most have owners.

so treet them gently until they feel the same about you,and you will enjoy their company without being threatened.

love me love my dog. meatboy.ex.uk.and a taff.

Good post taff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carry a pocket knife

Absurd. A stick is the best defensive weapon there is. Especially for dogs. Why would you want to get close enough to the animal to cut it? Even against a knife a stick is a far better defense than another knife. Of course, the recommended defense against a knife is your feet -- run as fast as you can.

Totally agree. I think I'd back the dogs if someone tried to get them with a pocket knife. While you're stabbing one, another 3 or 4 frenzied by the excitement would latch on from behind

The stick is best because if you have to use it the swinging motion will keep them at bay

Carry a pocket knife

Totally agree. I think I'd back the dogs if someone tried to get them with a pocket knife. While you're stabbing one, another 3 or 4 frenzied by the excitement would latch on from behind

The stick is best because if you have to use it the swinging motion will keep them at bay

Yes, I agree an nice stick would be better, but it's too difficult to carry in you pocket.

Individual situations involving barking or growling dogs usually is a territorial issue and not as threatening as it may seem. Calmly walking on without any major reaction will usually suffice. The stick in hand may make you feel more secure but raising it will only aggravate. Do avoid looking directly at the dogs eyes but look past it as if looking at something directly behind it. That way you can still observe its movements. If you have fear the dog will know (smell) it anyway and may become more aggressive in noise but not necessarily in action. Some dogs simply have a regular habit of demonstrating but not much more.

But do avoid dogfights or dog packs in your path.Totally unpredictable scenario.

If unfortunate enough to actually get bitten the norm is a series of precautionary rabies vaccine shots. If possible you should make all best attempts to identify the "owner" and demand compensation.

Recent laws introduced in Thailand related to the general issues around dogs have yet to be brought home to the minds of many dog "owners".

In some areas it has already decreased the number of roaming dogs and from my observation increased their overall health condition. Sadly the concept of taking genuine responsibility for bad behaviour of dogs and male children is almost equally denied or ignored too often.

Recent laws introduced in Thailand related to the general issues around dogs have yet to be brought home to the minds of many dog "owners".

In some areas it has already decreased the number of roaming dogs and from my observation increased their overall health condition. Sadly the concept of taking genuine responsibility for bad behaviour of dogs and male children is almost equally denied or ignored too often.

what were the recent laws and where have soi dogs decreased? Soi dogs do not have owners, the thread is about them not domesticated pets.

what were the recent laws and where have soi dogs decreased? Soi dogs do not have owners, the thread is about them not domesticated pets.

A "soi dog" is a dog in the soi. Many/most actually have a property to retreat to...usually at night.

Educate yourelf about the introduction of increased protections and penalties related to dogs. wai2.gif

Rabies is a real issue in Thailand.

And you cannot assume just because a dog is a pet, that it has been vaccinated. Most rural Thais do not vaccinate their animals.

Best thing to do is to carry a stick when you are going to walk by such dogs. Luckily in the countryside there are usually sticks lying about ,easy to pick up and then discard later. Waive menacingly at the dogs and they will keep their distance.

In the immediate area you live, the local dogs may come to know you and leave you be.

The other thing to know about dogs is that the can literally smell fear and it entices them to attack. They can likewise detect anger/aggression which will cause them to back off. So when dealing with them try to summon up anger in place of fear.

We have some really aggressive (owned) dogs on the street right off my driveway and I can neither walk nor bicycle down it without a large stick. Of course to be fair the matter is aggravated by the fact that my Chihuahua likes to bark at them from the safety of the car and they know I'm associated with him....

Individual situations involving barking or growling dogs usually is a territorial issue and not as threatening as it may seem. Calmly walking on without any major reaction will usually suffice. The stick in hand may make you feel more secure but raising it will only aggravate. Do avoid looking directly at the dogs eyes but look past it as if looking at something directly behind it. That way you can still observe its movements. If you have fear the dog will know (smell) it anyway and may become more aggressive in noise but not necessarily in action. Some dogs simply have a regular habit of demonstrating but not much more.

But do avoid dogfights or dog packs in your path.Totally unpredictable scenario.

If unfortunate enough to actually get bitten the norm is a series of precautionary rabies vaccine shots. If possible you should make all best attempts to identify the "owner" and demand compensation.

My wife was bitten a couple of months ago riding a motorbike past a house in our village, right opposite the markets. The owner couldnt deny the fact as the dog has a bad reputation having bitten several people previously...he just keeps paying the medical bills!! I'd like to wring his neck.... the owner that is! (There is no such thing as a bad dog,,,only bad owners IMHO)

And would you, personally, do it?

Look a dog in the eye and then shoot it?

Typical vegan!

There's a big difference between stray dogs in the towns and rural dogs. The town dogs seem to be more territorial, and therefore more aggressive.

The original post was about rural areas, so my previous reply was worded accordingly.

I was out walking with two dogs in Chiangmai one day when a local 'pack' came in for the attack. The pack leader was bigger than the bigger of my two dogs, but he didn't know what a Bangkaew dog was like (Bangkaew is a local breed, and fierce; there's a long, quite amusing thread about them). When the pack dog went for him, I slipped the lead, and my Bangkaew routed him in 30 seconds flat. As he fled, my other dog, a small terrier type, joined in by nipping him in the bum.

An incident like that could have been nasty if my dog hadn't been a fighter.

In short, I would be inclined to worry far more about pack dogs in the towns than in the rural areas.

Typical vegan!

Yeah, WE can't kill for food, but anything that annoys HIM has to go.

That is typcal

Thanks to everyone, it has been helpful. To be more exact I am trying to decide how dangerous the dogs are. There is some danger all the time in life but most of us (not all) will do things if the danger is low enough.

Rocketboy thanks for your comment.

Roomuck why have you written Khon Kaen borders Sakon Nakhon. Maybe you should try there instead, if dogs worry you then that is the place to be?

Back here in the UK I am a member of a lovely large health club and have been playing tennis everyday as there are 8 inside courts, plus having a swim. I have not always but now I try to keep reasonably healthy. I have friends but no family or commitments here in the UK, and meeting the right female partner has proved to be difficult over the last few years.

I dont think I could live in my Thai girlfriends village happily. I have sampled short spells of about 1 day in a village. Typically people are very friendly and offer me food, maybe even have a laugh at my attempts to speak a few Thai words or use Google translate . but understandably they mostly talk amongst each other (as I would) . It becomes very boring . I went for a short walk I would have liked to walk further but was too scared because of the dogs.

Here in the UK if I walk with the Ramblers it is usually about 12 miles, take a packed lunch, there is very low risk from dogs, probably cows in fields would be a higher danger (but very low). In Thailand if I met up with a friend if it became dark I would feel I could not walk home even if it was just 1 or 2 km.

Ironically it seems that early morning or in the evening when the temperature is best for walking is when the dogs are more dangerous.

At the end of my holiday I met two very friendly French guys, one a very good golf player who improved my game so I did play 3 games of golf which I really enjoyed.

I am now thinking about trying to find out what facilities I can use at the university of Khon Kaen (I should have investigated more while there). If there are tennis courts, a gym and a swimming pool that I can use. That and golf I think would keep me happy as I think I now realize I could not comfortably walk about much.

I may start another thread about this.

Thanks again

I have spent a bit of time in sakon Nakhon, and like Vietnam, Korea and China many people, but not all, are fond of eating dog. It is is quite tasty, my favorite was Laab Labradoodle. Laab is a popular north eastern dish that is also made with other meats or mushroom.

Hiya Rocketboy, my Thai girlfriend named Ploy is now back in her village, she has 5 cows to look after plus other crops and other work.

Sorry if I confused, I am still healthy for age 62 and definitely do not need a stick to walk. I only started to walk with a stick when out walking on my own in Thailand just in case a dog or dogs became aggressive. I felt so vulnerable in shorts and sandals.

Cheers

Keith

If you are worried about the dogs then it maybe wise to reconsider settling in Thailand. Stray dogs are a nonsense and a hazard in Thailand. I would never walk out at night because of the dangers of soi dogs that like to lay territory as their own in my area. Even on my motorbike at times it becomes having to pull the throttle back in panic doing a running from attacking packs of soi dogs. It I had the misfortune to fall off I would probably be torn to pieces by a pack of stray dogs. I live in Chiang Mai but it`s the same all over Thailand.

Yes, they are dangerous depending the location and conditions.

On countryside areas principally dogs are very territorial, and enter they areas and houses without the owner, or at night, is not a good idea.

Dog are more dangerous if they are in groups, and/or in mating season. If the leader attack the rest will follow, and can be lethal. Also, if the dog bite and do not have way to check its health, will be mandatory to get the series of rabies shots on any hospital. Complicated and expensive.

Walking with a strong cane, or having any spray on hand, can help in case of a single dog attack.

Typical vegan!

Not a vegan, and i'd gladly shoot soi dogs esp the one that savaged the mrs last year. In that case Thais bashed it's head in. I have not eaten meat or fish for 43 years but am not a sentimentalist when it some to dealing with animal problems, and it's not the owners, strays have none.

Typical vegan!

That is typcal

If you agree with killing for food then it's total hypocrisy to cry over culling soi dogs

Typical vegan!

That is typcal

If you agree with killing for food then it's total hypocrisy to cry over culling soi dogs

Who's crying?

• 3 weeks later...

The GF's dad was bitten by a stray dog at a funeral a few months ago.

A course of three anti rabies jabs over a few weeks were the result.

It was owned by another villager and she apologised after a couple of days. It made me smile when the GF told me that her cousin had threatened to kill the dog unless the dog owner did apologise.biggrin.png

My experience of Thai dogs has been of strays lying in the middle of the road when I have been driving. They are usually too sleepy with the heat to be doing much.

I wouldn’t pet, touch or encourage any of them.

The GF's dad was bitten by a stray dog at a funeral a few months ago.

A course of three anti rabies jabs over a few weeks were the result.

It was owned by another villager and she apologised after a couple of days. It made me smile when the GF told me that her cousin had threatened to kill the dog unless the dog owner did apologise.biggrin.png

My experience of Thai dogs has been of strays lying in the middle of the road when I have been driving. They are usually too sleepy with the heat to be doing much.

I wouldn’t pet, touch or encourage any of them.

If you have access to the dog that bit your GF's dad, why did he have to get the shots?

The villager's dog has rabies?