Shooting at Bangkok shopping mall leaves two dead

webfact

You hear of so many here who kill their lovers, and spouses. The level of jealousy and insecurity here is insane. So many kill over love. Why not just walk away, and find a new woman? Why get so myopic, and blinded by love? What is up with that? Why such immaturity?

I often travel separately from my Thai wife. This week she is headed to Korat for a week, to visit some friends, and I am headed to Bangkok and Hua Hin to visit my friends. She often finds my friends boring, as we chat in english all day, about all kinds of things that mean little to her. I can say the same about her, and her friends, who chat in Thai, and even if I could understand it, not sure I would find it interesting or engaging. At least not for hours on end. We are both happy to do so. It is great for the relationship. We both trust each other, and are comfortable with being apart for a little while. She is trying to get some of her friends to join, and NONE of their Thai boyfriends or husbands will let them go. Not even her sister's husband! They are all so terribly insecure. They are all so terribly jealous and possessive. It strikes me as quite unattractive, and petty minded.

Personally, I could not live like that. For me, a little bit of space and independence, in a good long term relationship, is healthy and refreshing. My woman appreciates that too. She is always remarking on how surprised her girlfriends are, that I am ok with her traveling on her own, and how much she treasures that independence and trust. They say their men would never allow that. Seems a bit small minded to me. Such limitation, and such insecurity. Does that simply come from a relative lack of emotional development? I always felt that if one is secure enough in a relationship, you can trust your woman to be on her own a bit, and visa versa. What do you think?

Interesting subject. You should start a separate thread.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad that Thais resort to killing their lovers so easily. Pathetic logic they use justifying their actions which hurt so many. That poor innocent little girl will never be the same and scarred for life. What is worse is that he actually killed himself because this man needed to suffer for his actions. I hope the young girl can overcome the trauma of her injuries and the future psychological trauma she will incur.

"So sad that Thais resort to killing their lovers so easily. "

Yes, it's another strictly Thai issue. Nowhere else in the world do people resort to using guns to solve all their problems.

Still find it amazing that people see human failings like this as uniquely Thai problems rather than one that exists, to a greater or lesser degree, virtually everywhere in the world. This sort of unfortunately common place thing wouldn't even merit more than local news coverage in the US, among other places.

And just where in my comment do you see me saying this doesn't happen elsewhere or that it only happens in Thailand? You sure do like to twist the meaning of what people say. This article was not about what happens in the USA and you demean the tragedy that befell that poor little girl and the gf by your comment and comparison. Shame on you

Man shoots dead lover, then himself in shopping mall on Valentine's
By Coconuts Bangkok

centralrattana.jpg
Horrified shoppers observed the incident at Central Rattanathibet shopping mall. Photo: JS100

BANGKOK: -- A man shot dead his married lover before turning the gun on himself at Central Rattanathibet shopping mall in Nonthaburi yesterday morning on Valentine's Day.

According to witnesses, Suchart Pueapradit, 50, was seen running after his lover on the second floor of the mall before he fired three or four bullets at the woman, killing her, before he then shot himself.

His lover, identified as Pijakkana Somsakul, 44, who worked at the mall, took a bullet to her chest and died later at hospital.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/15/man-shoots-dead-lover-then-himself-shopping-mall-valentines

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-15

You hear of so many here who kill their lovers, and spouses. The level of jealousy and insecurity here is insane. So many kill over love. Why not just walk away, and find a new woman? Why get so myopic, and blinded by love? What is up with that? Why such immaturity?

I often travel separately from my Thai wife. This week she is headed to Korat for a week, to visit some friends, and I am headed to Bangkok and Hua Hin to visit my friends. She often finds my friends boring, as we chat in english all day, about all kinds of things that mean little to her. I can say the same about her, and her friends, who chat in Thai, and even if I could understand it, not sure I would find it interesting or engaging. At least not for hours on end. We are both happy to do so. It is great for the relationship. We both trust each other, and are comfortable with being apart for a little while. She is trying to get some of her friends to join, and NONE of their Thai boyfriends or husbands will let them go. Not even her sister's husband! They are all so terribly insecure. They are all so terribly jealous and possessive. It strikes me as quite unattractive, and petty minded.

Personally, I could not live like that. For me, a little bit of space and independence, in a good long term relationship, is healthy and refreshing. My woman appreciates that too. She is always remarking on how surprised her girlfriends are, that I am ok with her traveling on her own, and how much she treasures that independence and trust. They say their men would never allow that. Seems a bit small minded to me. Such limitation, and such insecurity. Does that simply come from a relative lack of emotional development? I always felt that if one is secure enough in a relationship, you can trust your woman to be on her own a bit, and visa versa. What do you think?

Sounds like we have the same minded wives and they have the same kinds of friends and family members. Quite ridiculous when you think about it. My wives sister's husbands get so jealous of their wives if they are even sitting close to me.

a bit shocked that the high security checkpoints did not catch the gun and the guy with the gun.

If you've been in Thailand for more than a day you realise that 'security' is only there for show, whether it be the man at a condo building, the MRT, department stores or anywhere else. I once stood watching at Siam Paragon. There was the door meant for exit, and another door for entry with an airport-type scanner for people to pass through. I watched as many simply walked in through the exit doors and no-one took any notice. The MRT staff shine a torch into a bag for half a second. If they even stop you at all they only look at the top of what is in the bag when anything could be hidden beneath. I entered a BTS station and the 'security' let a few Thais pass with their backpacks etc but wanted to stop me as the farang. I ignored him. Nothing happened. Try doing that in the real world and see what happens.

Absolutely disgusting........ And involved in that fiasco an innocent child seriously striped by the bullet.....

Stay home, folks. Don't go shopping anywhere...

yes absolutely!!!! disgusting....this whole lost face syndrome in Thailand... should be addressed early in life and consequences when in the wrong to acknowledgement.... taught in schools how to accept self as well as defeat....

Did he shoot himself in the face?

Love Triangle Blamed for Valentine’s Day Mall Murder
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14555089361455508946l.jpg
CentralPlaza Rattanathibet located on Rattanathibet Road in Nonthaburi city. Photo: CentralPlaza Rattanathibet / Facebook

NONTHABURI — A young girl was injured when a man shot a mall sales assistant to death yesterday in western metro Bangkok before turning the gun on himself.

Suchart Puapradit, 50, reportedly chased Pijakkana Somsakul, 44, who worked at CentralPlaza Rattanathibet on Sunday morning, to the mall’s second floor where he shot her three times with a .38 revolver.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1455508936

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-15

Now, this does qualify as a tragedy.

How the hell did he get into a shopping centre with a loaded gun?

Get well soon little one

How did he get a gun in?

If it's anything like the Central I go to, he just walked in the doors.

Zero security checks.

Interesting subject. You should start a separate thread.

Goo idea. I am really curious to know the various theories about this. I have started a thread on it, so you are welcome to comment on the thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/895073-why-are-so-many-thai-men-so-jealous-possessive-and-insecure-about-their-women/?p=10423419

When you believe in reincarnation, suicide is an easy option.

In Mahayana Buddhism people who commit suicide are not reborn but remain in Bardo state (perpetual limbo) forever. I am not sure about Himayana Buddhism (which Thailand practices), but I'm sure it is similar.

Are you sure? I think Thailand practices Theravada Buddhism - the lazy Buddhists Buddhism ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Thailand

Perhaps Himayana is another word for it but I can only find one reference to it here - https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/44q259/eli5whats_the_differences_between_himayana_and/

and it says 'There are arguably no longer any extant Hinayana denominations. In Southern Asia, rather, Hinayana developed into what is now called Theravada.' Note the different spelling too.

However, Googling on the proper spelling brings many hits e.g. here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinayana

where is said 'The term was widely used in the past by Western scholars to cover "the earliest system of Buddhist doctrine", as the Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary put it. It has been used as a synonym for the Theravada tradition, which continues as the main form of Buddhism in Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia.

It also says ' In 1950 the World Fellowship of Buddhists declared that the term Hīnayana should not be used when referring to any form of Buddhism existing today.' Therefore it's obsolete and subsumed into Theravada Buddhism.

So you seem to be a little out of date. And confused.

Sorry, but he is neither out of date, nor confused, apart from misspelling 'Hinayana' with an 'm'.

Theravada is one form of Hinayana Buddhism, originated in Sri Lanka, and practiced there, and in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia in SEA. Sarvastivada is another form of Hinayana, practiced in Northern India.

Mahayana includes forms practiced in Vietnam, China, Tibet, Japan and many other countries. Mahayana is the Greater (or Vast) Vehicle, while Hinayana is the Lesser Vehicle, at least traditionally. The pejorative and derogatory interpretation of Greater/Lesser Vehicles is now considered anachronistic, but the distinction remains.

Suggest you read up a bit, and start a new thread.

Cheers.

While in the USA they kill for mostly misguided and delusional religion reasons, here they kill in the name of love.... somehow, they find it a befitting end for their troubles in life....

Killing for love be damned!! It is killing because of lost face. "Wife leaves me for another man. I punish her to make people realize how manly I am. Oh, and kill myself to really make them all feel really bad."

If I am wrong in this instance then I apologize to anyone offended, Unfortunately, what I suggest is so often the Standard Operating Procedure in these common "fatal attraction" situations. It is usually about pride and injured pride.

False pride is also the reason behind dangerous passing and on blind corners "I'm important! Me first! If someone come other way they have to let me back in because I am important."

False pride and false sense of entitlement are huge killers in this misnamed LOS!!! Yes they need lessons in taking responsibility for their own lives instead of blaming fate or every-one else for everthing that goes wrong in their lives. But such lessons seem to be absent from the national curriculum. It is probably associated with, or an extension of the "little emperor syndrome."

Civic pride would also be nice to see occasionally then there would not be so much rubbish around.

Instead it is "I am important. Someone else can pick my rubbish up. Why should an important person like me have to waste my valuable time looking for a bin or carry it home like a stupid Farang."

(Yes, I often carry rubbish around till I find somewhere to safely deposit it, or take it home or back to the truck.)

Sounds like we have the same minded wives and they have the same kinds of friends and family members. Quite ridiculous when you think about it. My wives sister's husbands get so jealous of their wives if they are even sitting close to me.

Many, many moons ago, when I was with my ex-wife, she got a call from an ex-boyfriend. They were engaged for a while, then she broke it off, just prior to us meeting each other. I did not know many of the details, and I did not know him. as we had never met. She asked if she could go and meet him, as she said they still had some things they needed to work out. My intuition told me it was the right thing to do, to give my blessing to that effort. She came back a couple of hours later. He accompanied her, and introduced himself to me. He seemed like a real gentleman. She came inside, and gave me a big hug, started crying, and told me she had never been with a man before, who really trusted her, and it meant the world to her. She told me that one act said more about my heart, and my nature than anything I had done to date. Later we got married, and we enjoyed a very good relationship that lasted 10 years. I have look back on that day many times, and it is always with a great degree of satisfaction. I was very young at the time, but it told me alot about myself, and I liked what I saw.

Since then, I have never really understood the true nature of jealously and possessiveness. They feel like very dark, ugly qualities, that do not represent a sound mind, a mature and developed soul, nor a trusting heart. It feels so much better to believe in my woman, and allow her to have a life, apart from mine. I tend to get involved with women who have alot of friends, and they are able to spend time with their friends, and I am able to do the same. Sometimes for an entire day, or in the case of the above quote, several days at a time. We both love it. And it seems to make us closer, and more comfortable with each other. Many of her friends remark on how amazing it would be to find a man like me, that believes in them, and how oppressive it can be to live with a man who does not trust them, or believe that their intentions are noble and correct.

I am told that many Thai men are not well developed emotionally. That they are extremely possessive, and very jealous. I guess that is what contributes to some of the more extreme acts we hear about. The whole thing feels so undignified to me. So small. If you feel good about yourself, and know and like who you are, you can allow your woman to be herself, and do her own thing, from time to time. Right?

I have observed that many Thai refuse to admit to making a mistake, being wrong, saying ''I am sorry'', ''thank you'', and feel rules/laws are made to be ignored if you so desire. They want to be boss, not take orders nor be told what to or not do.

It would seem that finding a long term partner /soul mate /friend when this describes your personal outlook is sure to lead to violence eventually.

When you believe in reincarnation, suicide is an easy option.

In Mahayana Buddhism people who commit suicide are not reborn but remain in Bardo state (perpetual limbo) forever. I am not sure about Himayana Buddhism (which Thailand practices), but I'm sure it is similar.

Mmm, there is a lot of "cross pollination", but Thai Buddhism, or at least the branch constitutionally followed by the King, is the Theravada school, while Hinayana is the main stay of Myanmar. Some consider Theravada a branch of Mahayana, while some scholars consider it a separate school.

Buddhism as practiced by the regular folks is heavily influenced by Chinese, Hindu, and ethnic folk religions, especially in Issan, and so might be considered a type of Hinayana, or "lesser vessel". It is not unlike the many sects of Christianity in this regard, with disparate practices in support of a core belief in Christ as savior.

Regardless, Buddhism does not condemn suicide without exception, but rather observes that the reasons for suicide are usually negative and thus counteract the path to enlightenment. All branches of Buddhism frown on murder and suicide and thus cannot be viewed as a causative factor in what is far from a uniquely Thai phenomenon.

Condolences to all, and may the little girl have a speedy recovery.

<snip>

You could argue that over-riding feelings or emotions contribute to this effect. An insanely jealous boyfriend can murder his girlfriend without thought to the consequences but I rather think it's a non-belief issue since many of the Buddhist laws such as greed, stealing, etc are well thought out plans with little emotion involved, which leads one to believe that they are not at all concerned with punishment in the after life.

Or this life either, it would seem.

The problem with all the insecurity and jealousy is that it tends to accelerate and exacerbate any problems in the relationship. If someone is going to leave you, they will. Trying to hold them on a short leash will probably make them leave sooner, rather than later.

I am with you, give the lady her freedom, and don't worry about it. I like my alone time too.

Many, many moons ago, when I was with my ex-wife, she got a call from an ex-boyfriend. They were engaged for a while, then she broke it off, just prior to us meeting each other. I did not know many of the details, and I did not know him. as we had never met. She asked if she could go and meet him, as she said they still had some things they needed to work out. My intuition told me it was the right thing to do, to give my blessing to that effort. She came back a couple of hours later. He accompanied her, and introduced himself to me. He seemed like a real gentleman. She came inside, and gave me a big hug, started crying, and told me she had never been with a man before, who really trusted her, and it meant the world to her. She told me that one act said more about my heart, and my nature than anything I had done to date. Later we got married, and we enjoyed a very good relationship that lasted 10 years. I have look back on that day many times, and it is always with a great degree of satisfaction. I was very young at the time, but it told me alot about myself, and I liked what I saw.

Since then, I have never really understood the true nature of jealously and possessiveness. They feel like very dark, ugly qualities, that do not represent a sound mind, a mature and developed soul, nor a trusting heart. It feels so much better to believe in my woman, and allow her to have a life, apart from mine. I tend to get involved with women who have alot of friends, and they are able to spend time with their friends, and I am able to do the same. Sometimes for an entire day, or in the case of the above quote, several days at a time. We both love it. And it seems to make us closer, and more comfortable with each other. Many of her friends remark on how amazing it would be to find a man like me, that believes in them, and how oppressive it can be to live with a man who does not trust them, or believe that their intentions are noble and correct.

I am told that many Thai men are not well developed emotionally. That they are extremely possessive, and very jealous. I guess that is what contributes to some of the more extreme acts we hear about. The whole thing feels so undignified to me. So small. If you feel good about yourself, and know and like who you are, you can allow your woman to be herself, and do her own thing, from time to time. Right?

Male role models I reckon Spider

Massive generalisation but not necessarily untrue. Also it's pointless to deride the society, it is what it is because of history as are ours

All women over, say 35 have fathers, uncles, brothers and TV stars and soaps that all display and enact infidelity. Traditionally women have to put up with it or better the rival

Hugely ingrained into society is the notion of a mia noi. Happy new mia ALWAYS gets guffaws

In a hugely patriarchal society nobody ever considered how the women really felt about being the victim of infidelity. Still don't, yet we can see how men deal with exactly the same circumstance.

You found out how women feel about it, as did I. I'm pleased for you two. It's great to see and feel the genuine affection and respect from our wives

Now about 15 odd million Thai fellas need to realise it's no joke having a happy new mia

When in large groups Thai men ask me, in front of the wife, "you have a mia noi?" It's partly a test of reaction but also not deemed rude or overly impolite to the wife. I always answer "no way do I need another headache, got a big one right here" All people laugh and the women look at the wife with some friendly envy.

The whole place is crying out for decent authentic role models. but that's not to say there aren't many good thai people - it's my opinion that the percentage of farangs that are total feckwits massively outnumber the equivalent thais in this country....as no doubt some responses to my post will demonstrate.

So, in a world where every man will stray, (why would they think otherwise, it's ingrained in conversations, TV, songs, New year, tourism and prostitution industry), the surprise and experience of living with a man that will not is a great feeling of comfort for our girls...in my opinion

Edited by weka

So sad that Thais resort to killing their lovers so easily. Pathetic logic they use justifying their actions which hurt so many.

That is what they see on Thai TV every day....

Jealous person and angry... run home get gun and shoot someone....

TIT

Thainess

wai2.gif

People in this country generally do not develop much emotionally. We see everyday and everywhere how the society is infantilized. They also almost universally lack any capacity for introspection.

It's their cultural preference, and it's something that makes them quite unique in certain positive ways. However it is also something that cab make them quite dangerous.

While in the USA they kill for mostly misguided and delusional religion reasons, here they kill in the name of love.... somehow, they find it a befitting end for their troubles in life....

In the name of love? We can hardly call jealousy love, can we? Remember the old Sting song; If you love somebody, set them free.

Agree with everything you say here SM007.My wife is off to Nan next week to see a nephew in hospital, I am off to my local bar tonight . 2 weeks ago I went to Pai for 2 days on the Forza she didn't want to go so just me and a mate. I have a good pal up here in the north but I have never seen him without his wife close behind , we call her his shadow , I couldn't be living like that.