Brexit , will it effect Sterling?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, get your money out of Sterling lads - its going to bomb. It may well recover after the referendum, but why take the risk?

I am not sure which way to vote at the moment, but I must say that a lot of posters fall into the trap of thinking we (i.e. the British) are more important than we really are. In my job I have worked in France and Germany for extended periods (more than a year in each) and speak both languages pretty well. I observed that the cruel reality is that Britain is not really that important to France or Germany. By and large they eat better than we do, have more leisure time and receive better pensions. They are both bigger economies than the UK and have got their own problems to deal with. When living in Germany one seldom hears much news on German TV about the UK - we are just a small island on the edge of Europe. You can bring up the war, the Empire etc etc, but to modern generations weaned on global travel and multinational corporations these don't really mean much. Europe will push on quite happily without the UK if it has to. Sterling is not really a very significant currency these days (we even have to pay for UK visas in US dollars!). The Euro is vastly more significant than Sterling and despite the doom-sayers I don't think that will change in my lifetime. Sterling purchasing power has declined by 20% against the Euro since the latter was introduced and I don't see it ever recovering - whether we stay or leave Europe I think Sterling will only become less significant.

Hmmm, the referendum is still four months away and already the Pound has fallen to close to 1.40, largely I think on the back of Boris backing Brexit, does that mean the Pound will continue to fall, plateau or recover somewhat? I read somewhere that markets are now beginning to price in a Brexit but that seems massively premature, the jury is far from in. No, I think the Pound could well recover a little bit before leveling off, once we start to see the results of the many polls, closer to the date, then we'll see real and permanent movement, as things stand I think it's premature to be getting out of Sterling as the previous poster suggested. But government should be pleased at the fall, exports are now cheaper and let's face it, the Pound was over valued anyway, perhaps this is simply a long needed correction in that respect. From a THB perspective it's not great, this mornings opening will likely see the Pound pushing sub 50, ouch.

Hmmm, the referendum is still four months away and already the Pound has fallen to close to 1.40, largely I think on the back of Boris backing Brexit, does that mean the Pound will continue to fall, plateau or recover somewhat? I read somewhere that markets are now beginning to price in a Brexit but that seems massively premature, the jury is far from in. No, I think the Pound could well recover a little bit before leveling off, once we start to see the results of the many polls, closer to the date, then we'll see real and permanent movement, as things stand I think it's premature to be getting out of Sterling as the previous poster suggested. But government should be pleased at the fall, exports are now cheaper and let's face it, the Pound was over valued anyway, perhaps this is simply a long needed correction in that respect. From a THB perspective it's not great, this mornings opening will likely see the Pound pushing sub 50, ouch.

Agree with all that CM, but what is a concern to me is this. The Bank of England has got plans as of last year should a brexit occur, but have heard nothing about the HMG if they have any plans, are they so sure that they are going to get and "IN" vote?

They will look poorly prepared if an exit it is and they have no plan as to where do we go now.

Boris will have a big effect on the outcome and is a champion of the City, interesting times ahead and the first 2 scratch polls today in the Express revealed, unsurprisingly that 99% of their readers want out.

Academics have said that Boris joining the out group has taken 10% of the "IN" vote to undecided, things are happening thick and fast.

Agree with all that CM, but what is a concern to me is this. The Bank of England has got plans as of last year should a brexit occur, but have heard nothing about the HMG if they have any plans, are they so sure that they are going to get and "IN" vote?

They will look poorly prepared if an exit it is and they have no plan as to where do we go now.

Boris will have a big effect on the outcome and is a champion of the City, interesting times ahead and the first 2 scratch polls today in the Express revealed, unsurprisingly that 99% of their readers want out.

Academics have said that Boris joining the out group has taken 10% of the "IN" vote to undecided, things are happening thick and fast.

BOE sings to the tune of The Chancellor who in turn..., publishing a what if scenario would run counter to the PM's view that we need to remain in plus it would allow the Brexit folks to pick holes in it. Ergo, no you can't see it.

As for you reading a Daily Express scratch polls, go outside right now and whip yourself with a thorny branch whilst repeating, :i'm sorry, I wont ever do that again".

Over the next few months the pound I think will go down more,its the uncertainty that is not liked ,but once the verdict is in its anyone's guess which way it will go ,but if we leave ,or even if we stay I think the Eurozone in its present form is finished ,if anyone thinks that the immigrant problem is going away then they need a rethink ,it will only get far worse

Yes, get your money out of Sterling lads - its going to bomb. It may well recover after the referendum, but why take the risk?

I am not sure which way to vote at the moment, but I must say that a lot of posters fall into the trap of thinking we (i.e. the British) are more important than we really are. In my job I have worked in France and Germany for extended periods (more than a year in each) and speak both languages pretty well. I observed that the cruel reality is that Britain is not really that important to France or Germany. By and large they eat better than we do, have more leisure time and receive better pensions. They are both bigger economies than the UK and have got their own problems to deal with. When living in Germany one seldom hears much news on German TV about the UK - we are just a small island on the edge of Europe. You can bring up the war, the Empire etc etc, but to modern generations weaned on global travel and multinational corporations these don't really mean much. Europe will push on quite happily without the UK if it has to. Sterling is not really a very significant currency these days (we even have to pay for UK visas in US dollars!). The Euro is vastly more significant than Sterling and despite the doom-sayers I don't think that will change in my lifetime. Sterling purchasing power has declined by 20% against the Euro since the latter was introduced and I don't see it ever recovering - whether we stay or leave Europe I think Sterling will only become less significant.

Native gone tropo, much? Not the best examples, chum, the French and Germans are Europe's xenophobes! And indeed both France and Germany are not important to Britain in the daily lives of people; I'd avoid the intense interest of the U.K. media on Europe and its constituent countries as the people from the 'small island' (actually, it's quite large when one studies a map ) as giving a smeg. People hailing from wherever naturally think they're important; oh the French arrogance and just look at the Thais! But I guess at least the Brits (are you really one?) have some grounds for being proud of things that have been achieved -- and no I don't mean the flippin empire.

Currencies: of course the euro is more significant, it's held up by numerous countries, including Britain. Of sterling, it is largely where it is because it suits it economically. The dip is twitchy, fickle markets hedging as they always do and people advising to sell and run. It sucks when one needs to draw on it but an underperforming currency does not a flagging state make. Stroll on!

Btw, the useless underperforming insignificant U.K. economy left France a while back. Do keep up!

It'll plummet.

Sure ,,, sterling will drop , big time .

This fall.. in in the value of the GBP . is caused by who ?

The ECB , European central bank , who are supporting the lame euro,

I do not understand ,WHY ?,, the German people , do not respond

to the immigration problem . Have they had their their balls completely cut off.?

Queen Angela , soon to be the next EU boss.sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

Hold steady in the ranks lads , Sterling will survive .

Cameron , is on the exit list .wai2.gif

Native gone tropo, much? Not the best examples, chum, the French and Germans are Europe's xenophobes! And indeed both France and Germany are not important to Britain in the daily lives of people; I'd avoid the intense interest of the U.K. media on Europe and its constituent countries as the people from the 'small island' (actually, it's quite large when one studies a map ) as giving a smeg. People hailing from wherever naturally think they're important; oh the French arrogance and just look at the Thais! But I guess at least the Brits (are you really one?) have some grounds for being proud of things that have been achieved -- and no I don't mean the flippin empire.

Currencies: of course the euro is more significant, it's held up by numerous countries, including Britain. Of sterling, it is largely where it is because it suits it economically. The dip is twitchy, fickle markets hedging as they always do and people advising to sell and run. It sucks when one needs to draw on it but an underperforming currency does not a flagging state make. Stroll on!

Btw, the useless underperforming insignificant U.K. economy left France a while back. Do keep up!

I am very much British born and bred (from Derbyshire actually).

I have worked in France and Germany for extended periods (as well as the US and China), for a multinational high tech company.

The notion that the UK is somehow outperforming France and Germany is poppycock. My French and German colleagues live a much better lifestyle than their peers in the UK. The average French or German worker has access to better healthcare and schools, eats better and has more leisure time. I really wish it wasn't true, but it is.

Yes, the French are xenophobes and often unpleasantly nationalistic and racist. As a foreigner living there they are not easy to like.

The Germans are generally not xenophobic and generally a great bunch to live amongst and work with.