Classic Land Rover restoration

Tkris

Grollies I'm not exactly sure what you've got there. If its 1982  can't be a Defender (though someone may have stuck a Defender badge on it)  as they were not rebranded as Defender until 1990. In '82 the series 3 was still in production. Can't make out from your pic if its a 90 or 110? 110 production started in 1983, 90 in 84 but as its clearly ex MOD perhaps they got them even earlier.

6 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

Grollies I'm not exactly sure what you've got there. If its 1982  can't be a Defender (though someone may have stuck a Defender badge on it)  as they were not rebranded as Defender until 1990. In '82 the series 3 was still in production. Can't make out from your pic if its a 90 or 110? 110 production started in 1983, 90 in 84 but as its clearly ex MOD perhaps they got them even earlier.

Sorry, typo.

It's a Land Rover 90. Year code 'A' from the VIN. Ex-MOD, from the paperwork that my Dad got from the archives it was manufactured in '84 but didn't enter service until '86.

You're right about the Defender badge, the MOD maintenance log from '86 describes it as a Land Rover 90.

we had some range rover 110's , in about 83/84 replaced range rovers, nothing in comparison, all done to save money, gutless and elbow bashing, good for towing laden artics off the MI, but so were the range rovers.

25 minutes ago, raffo77 said:

diesel engine?

brings back fond memories. had a year code "A" too.

another parts supplier is Turner Engineering.

happy motoring!

Yep, diesel. Paddock are happy to ship here, do Turners do you know?

25 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

If its got Free Wheeling front hubs dont forget to lock them once a month, or the seals go hard and will leak

Doesn't have them. The only motor I had with them was a Hilux pick-up. Pain un the neck.

10 hours ago, grollies said:

Sorry, typo.

It's a Land Rover 90. Year code 'A' from the VIN. Ex-MOD, from the paperwork that my Dad got from the archives it was manufactured in '84 but didn't enter service until '86.

You're right about the Defender badge, the MOD maintenance log from '86 describes it as a Land Rover 90.

That makes more sense, thanks for the explanation.

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

we had some range rover 110's , in about 83/84 replaced range rovers, nothing in comparison, all done to save money, gutless and elbow bashing, good for towing laden artics off the MI, but so were the range rovers.

Did you mean Land Rover 110's ?  Yes they would be uncomfortable after a RR. I think the only people who tow laden artics off m/ways with a 4x4 are traffic police? No HATO in 84.

• 6 months later...

Archived