What are the hidden little gems of Bangkok Night Entertainment?

flyDelight

I lived in Hong Kong in the 90s and spent a lot of time in Lan Kwai Fong ... don't remember any princes

Cool. If you drank in La Dolce Vita, Club 97 and ate at Post 97 then you would almost certainly know me as I was in Dolce Vita and 97 practically every single day after work until they closed in the early hours.

If you ever went clubbing in Amnesia you'd know me as I was one of the founders of the club.

Do you remember Ce Top, Yellow Frog, Homebase?

Those were awesome times.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the best place to watch the submarine races ?

Best place is at the race track

They are on after the pigeon races finish

Actually a night at the races in Bangkok is great fun.

I will try that some night , how late are they open ?

I was told of a secret place to go Snipe hunting , the guide said he would take me there for only 3000 baht , but its an hour away from BKK so we need to take a taxi but he said his friend would give us a "special" price if we stopped at his uncles gem shop

Those guys TukTuk guys outside the Palace are so helpful :)

I lived in Hong Kong in the 90s and spent a lot of time in Lan Kwai Fong ... don't remember any princes

Cool. If you drank in La Dolce Vita, Club 97 and ate at Post 97 then you would almost certainly know me as I was in Dolce Vita and 97 practically every single day after work until they closed in the early hours.

If you ever went clubbing in Amnesia you'd know me as I was one of the founders of the club.

Yes, I remember those places, my office was above Post 97 but I didn't drink in them. More of an F-Stop or Moose Pub kind of guy :P

I also worked in Milk Bar for a bit and Californias, I am talking mid-90s to '99. One of the world's greatest cities!

Yes, I remember those places, my office was above Post 97 but I didn't drink in them. More of an F-Stop or Moose Pub kind of guy tongue.png

I also worked in Milk Bar for a bit and Californias, I am talking mid-90s to '99. One of the world's greatest cities!

We must have crossed paths. I lived in HK from 1973 to 2008.

I was Head of Security; and for a while assistant manager of Lux (the restaurant/bar/club above California). I also looked after security for C Club, downstairs from California for a few years.

Always good to meet a fellow ex HK resident. Did you get or do you have your HK Permanent ID?

Hong Kong still feels like home although Bangkok is now rapidly filling that gap and in some ways I'd even say Bangkok is now better than Hong Kong.

My God!

My suspicions about Maggie Choo's have been confirmed. I have always considered it a place where people demanding attention choose to congregate. It sounds pretentious and is. Anyone imagining that a venue offering a selection of songs from musical theatre is 'high brow' is pretending to be something they are not.

Presently our favourite place is Havana Social Club. After entering, using the code number on the phone outside, one feels as if an escape from Thailand has been a success.

Cleverly designed/decorated to look like Cuba in the 30's, the live music is terrific and the atmosphere is great.

It lacks the patronage of those kind of people who stand around hoping others will be interested in them. There seems very little display going on. Everyone danced and looked like they were they to enjoy themselves. It's a lot of fun.

Edited by RawboneFunksta

The car park of the Nana Hotel after 10 p.m. when you're as drunk as a skunk. A true hidden gem of Bangkok to just stand or sit around getting even more drunk while laughing at the ludicrous antics of the ladyboys and their "admirers". I would never partake in prostitution but the observation of it is as fascinating as it is repellent.

Yes, I remember those places, my office was above Post 97 but I didn't drink in them. More of an F-Stop or Moose Pub kind of guy tongue.png

We must have crossed paths. I lived in HK from 1973 to 2008.

I was Head of Security; and for a while assistant manager of Lux (the restaurant/bar/club above California). I also looked after security for C Club, downstairs from California for a few years.

Always good to meet a fellow ex HK resident. Did you get or do you have your HK Permanent ID?

Hong Kong still feels like home although Bangkok is now rapidly filling that gap and in some ways I'd even say Bangkok is now better than Hong Kong.

No, didn't get ID, I left in 1999

Sometimes I wonder whether I should have stayed on for it, some gweilo I know did get it but not sure they made use of it but hey ho, that's the way things go, I guess

I think those around '95-'98 were tremendous years in Honkers, great place. Not even been back since 1999!!

• 2 weeks later...

Coming up at Maggie Choo's on Thursday 25th February

Broadway Musicals Night part 2

Part 1 last month was a tremendous success gathering musicals devotees and jazz enthusiasts alike in celebrating classic show tunes from Les Miz, Wicked, Rent or West Side Story.

Part 2 will be the same yet different. The Fascinating Four return to pay tribute to New York's most famous avenue stages with a brand new playlist of Broadway hit shows scores and medleys.

DETAILS:

► 9pm onwards

► Door charge: 300 THB

► Reservations: [email protected]

DRINK PROMO:

► 25% off specials brought to you by Johnnie Walker Blue Label

https://www.facebook.com/events/190780097947715/

Worth also following their main page for details of the other things they have on - https://www.facebook.com/maggiechoos/

Wonderful reply, thanks! I wish all Thaivisa members were such noble humans.