buying property in rayong area

drb

I have lived in Ban Chang for 8 years due to working nearby. As someone said the 331 widening is almost finished and they have just signed the contract for the 7 tollway extension to Maphtaput with a Ban Chang exit. The Thais seem to be going crazy with houses and land here at present but in our estate houses are not selling or renting quickly. Spend some time here and talk to the local expats before jumping in to a house purchase.

By the way Ban Chang is a pretty boring place to live but we do have the worst Tesco Lotus in Thailand.

However I know the area and are long enough in Thailand to know the ins and outs about owning property, I'm not gonna comment on that.

The only sound advice I can give the OP, as a few others have done already, there is no reason at all to make an URGENT decision.

It sounds as if someone is pushing for a sale, so more reason to walk away from it right away.

Nothing is selling at the moment, in contrast with what Thai people and real estate agents want you to believe.

First off, don't. Sounds like you aren't planning to spend full time there, so why? Don't know what the price is, but I'm guessing you can rent a lot of nice hotel rooms for that amount and not have to worry about upkeep etc. We (yeah, that we) have owned a house in Rayong city for 10 years and if I had it to do over I wouldn't and at this point it's almost impossible to sell due to all of the new construction going up everywhere.

Yes the property market here in the greater Pattaya area is very odd to say the least. In my village with about 100 houses, app 25% just sits empty most of the year. The biggest land/house (+20 mill) is not even finished build but the BKK Thai owner just sits on it, don't even know if it's for sale, he just park some money there I think.

Thais can't own enough land/houses, the Thai doctor next to my house owns about 7 properties in Pattaya. It seems like they prefer properties over putting the money in the bank because property taxes are very low and land prices goes up and up (long term). The Thais invest in long term, the well off will never sell with a loss but will rather wait 20 years selling if they have to and the kids can inherit the land/houses if needed be.

That makes buying property here tricky for us expats, I haven't regretted that we spend a lot of money for a nice house because we live here full time and we got a kid and the house is not really considered an investment but a nice place for us to live and my wife/son will get the house when I go 6 feet under.

We live in Ban Chang, it's a great place to live for many reasons.

You are not in a hurry there is so much for sale here, plenty of houses that you may fall in love with, I mean hundreds!

Come here rent first and see from there what you like and if you ares till in love.

I live in Rayong and have lived in Ban Chang also, I wish I had moved to Hua Hin !! better weather, better shops, better restaurants nice mix of people,

If You want to and travel to everything You need..then move to that house

The grass is always greener at the other side of the fence.

I live in Rayong and have lived in Ban Chang also, I wish I had moved to Hua Hin !! better weather, better shops, better restaurants nice mix of people,

If You want to and travel to everything You need..then move to that house

The grass is always greener at the other side of the fence.

I have had 10 years here and with plenty of time to reflect that's My honest humble opinion ..unless of course You desire the other needs of Pattaya then stay in ban Chang ..Hua hin is cleaner nicer beaches...better weather ...

I have had 10 years here and with plenty of time to reflect that's My honest humble opinion ..unless of course You desire the other needs of Pattaya then stay in ban Chang ..Hua hin is cleaner nicer beaches...better weather ...

Beaches are nicer and bigger, yes,

but for the rest Hua Hin seems now very similar to Pattaya,

with too many people (expats & tourists), too many condominiums & buildings, ...

Edited by Pattaya46

With the enlargement of the utapao airport, the upgrading of the roads eastward to the Cambodian border..a hidden treasure will be discovered. The best areas are passed ban Phe..Mae Pim, laem mae Pim etc..the building of the Marriott Rayong is indicative of this.

• 3 weeks later...

cyberfarang post #12 ..................... you'll get many replies to your question no doubt but simply put a farang can buy a condo in his/her name (if the condo building ownership %age is 49%:51% farang:Thai) but you cannot own a house/land. So either put house in a Company name (might be problematic so do check) or through a Thai

That's the reason typically ladies here would definitely prefer the boyfriend buys a house rather than a condo.

Simple logic really

Good luck but do research the rules in advance

I have all ready done my in-depth research into this subject and why I wouldn`t touch throwing money into a property I can`t own with a barge pole, not even if I was married to a Thai. Thinking you`re on a safe bet by buying in a Thai wife name is a myth. I am fully aware that a Farlang can buy a condo and even land on certain conditions, including under a company but all I want to know is, how do the Farlangs that do buy in their wife`s names or by other means get around the legalities? Because I don`t believe that only those with companies are investing in land, I wasn`t born yesterday.

I am a retiree in Thailand and see no benefits to actually get married. This way I can throw my girlfriend`s ass out the door if she ever tried to screw me (not in the sexual sense) with no further commitments from me. If there was a secure way I could buy land and a house other then a condo I would get married, no problem. I have seen too many robbed and cheated by their Thai partners in the past and why no one can blame me for wanting to know the water is safe before I dive in.

If I could safely buy land in a wife`s name then I would get married not a problem, but I don`t believe this is possible

Even not married if your TG is living with you for any length of time she has similar rights as a married wife. She is effectively a common law wife in UK legal terms.

cyberfarang post #12 ..................... you'll get many replies to your question no doubt but simply put a farang can buy a condo in his/her name (if the condo building ownership %age is 49%:51% farang:Thai) but you cannot own a house/land. So either put house in a Company name (might be problematic so do check) or through a Thai

That's the reason typically ladies here would definitely prefer the boyfriend buys a house rather than a condo.

Simple logic really

Good luck but do research the rules in advance

I have all ready done my in-depth research into this subject and why I wouldn`t touch throwing money into a property I can`t own with a barge pole, not even if I was married to a Thai. Thinking you`re on a safe bet by buying in a Thai wife name is a myth. I am fully aware that a Farlang can buy a condo and even land on certain conditions, including under a company but all I want to know is, how do the Farlangs that do buy in their wife`s names or by other means get around the legalities? Because I don`t believe that only those with companies are investing in land, I wasn`t born yesterday.

I am a retiree in Thailand and see no benefits to actually get married. This way I can throw my girlfriend`s ass out the door if she ever tried to screw me (not in the sexual sense) with no further commitments from me. If there was a secure way I could buy land and a house other then a condo I would get married, no problem. I have seen too many robbed and cheated by their Thai partners in the past and why no one can blame me for wanting to know the water is safe before I dive in.

If I could safely buy land in a wife`s name then I would get married not a problem, but I don`t believe this is possible

Even not married if your TG is living with you for any length of time she has similar rights as a married wife. She is effectively a common law wife in UK legal terms.

In some countries such a 'de facto' marriage is recognized as a valid marriage. The principle of a common law or de facto marriage (whether it concerns a heterosexual or homosexual couple) is not recognized under Thai Law. There is no common law marriage in Thailand. Either you marry at the amphur by having the marriage registered there or you are simply not legally married.

Back on topic; rent a property in or near where you want to live for a year. This way you can assess how the place fares in all seasons for traffic, flooding, noise, infrastructure development, etc.. Once you pinpoint the home of your dreams, rent it. Don't buy it.

Edited by NanLaew

Thanks all for the replies

Perhaps best to say I am no novice as many on hee think I am

Ive been coming for 16 years and understand about ownership etc

I am fairly well covered as wifes family are leagal and council folk her family also willing to help with loan if required

I dont have problem with a GF im with my wife and have been YEARS !!!!!!!!!!!! 100% trust both ways so although I am sympathetic with others it dosnt apply to me guess you lot would say im luck or exception shame some people tar everyone with the same brush but here you go

Im coming out for 2 months this trip and intending to drive everywhere to view and narrow choices down I haven't made any firm decision as Im also looking Hua Hin

Certainly dont need idiots chicowoodduck !!!!!!!!!! go back get your brain at the airport what a complete <deleted> must be high on beer and weed obviously jealous as he left his brain if he had one at some bar

To all you decent member thank you very much good advice has been heeded

chicowoodduck

Ban chang area is not a bad place to live, not as busy as pattaya, beaches are good, not too busy, and it will many years before it is over built, as posted pattaya is nearby for shopping, as is rayong. good hospitals, a bit laid back and behind the times.

some posters on here have an axe to grind, and will find 2 negatives on one battery, but i would say no need to rush, plenty of houses here, but some of the estates can be a little rough round the edges in the neat ness stakes. unless you are going up market, i would buy a small one story house with a bigger patch of land off estate, less dogs and noise, why rent out while you are not here, and let someone else spoil your home, for the sake of £1000 or so.

have a great trip over,