buying property in rayong area

drb

Hi All

Hope someone can help me I'm in UK

I have found a property that we have fallen in love with

to start with we would go there on holiday for 4-5 months a year but would like if possible to rent it out rest of time hopefully to UK people looking for holiday let

its in banchang samnak thon Rayong looks like thats around 45 km to Rayong centre

Its near the beach and has communal swimming pool etc

I am hoping someone can tell me about the area

is it safe

property values

suitable for a a UK to live

ANY INFO whatsoever would be MOST appreciated

Please advise on ANYTHING relevant at all ASAP as I need make some decisions quickly

many thanks in advance .. Dave

As you are approx half way between Pattaya and Rayong, for a foreigner going shopping, the Pattaya area is better (more choices like Foodland, Friendship etc).

So that means you also need a car.

No idea's about the other questions

Good luck

i have several properties in Thailand so i think i am possibly qual;ified to comment

My advice?

Visit and research before you buy .......... no question in my mind.

That investment in flights etc will be well worth it.

And there is NO URGENCY believe me - you don't have to make quick decisions as little is selling here currently as it's a buyer's market

And make sure you understand all the rules about bringing money into Thailand

Good luck

Depending on the input from a public forum you would be willing to make such a major decision ?

- First, you would have to study the "property laws" concerning Foreigners here, then you would need to rent something in the area for 6 months. Just to find out if you would like the surroundings longer term..

What's the hurry? If the urgency originates from any advice received by Thai GF = drop the entire project at once. Otherwise you are likely to regret it.

Cheers.

When you say you have found a property that you have fallen in love with. Have you only seen photos of this place on line or have you been there yet?......I ask as reading what you wrote leaves me to think you havent been there in person.

Ban Chang is located between the Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate and Utapao airport. It has a large expat population made up of retirees and people working at Map Ta Phuthe or supporting the offshore fabrication business. It also has a large Thai middle class. There are two golf courses located in the immediate area with several more a short drive away. It also has a small expat bar area known as the "strip".

It is very livable for an UK national as they make up the majority of the expat population. I do doubt you will have much luck with a short term holiday rental during time you are not there as there is not much of a tourist industry except for golf tours from Korea or Scandinavia.

TH

i have several properties in Thailand so i think i am possibly qual;ified to comment

My advice?

Visit and research before you buy .......... no question in my mind.

That investment in flights etc will be well worth it.

And there is NO URGENCY believe me - you don't have to make quick decisions as little is selling here currently as it's a buyer's market

And make sure you understand all the rules about bringing money into Thailand

Good luck

I have been tempted to buy my own property in Chiang Mai, my Thai girlfriend nags me about it everyday, but have gotten cold feet over the legal issues of ownership.

How do you get around the legalities of Farlang ownership in Thailand?

cyberfarang post #12 ..................... you'll get many replies to your question no doubt but simply put a farang can buy a condo in his/her name (if the condo building ownership %age is 49%:51% farang:Thai) but you cannot own a house/land. So either put house in a Company name (might be problematic so do check) or through a Thai

That's the reason typically ladies here would definitely prefer the boyfriend buys a house rather than a condo.

Simple logic really

Good luck but do research the rules in advance

I have found a property that we have fallen in love with

Only Thai people can own land and property, if the ''we''

has one Thai person then it's ok, you white boy own

nothing, you pay they receive a gift, when you leave you

take nothing with you, and you want to rent your property,

to who, stop dreaming, the army rule this country.

Oh and your visa?

I considered Rayong (close to Marriot Hotel) we have spent several vacations there but never longer than two weeks.

Every time I go it appeals to me more................... however everyone I spoke to said its very quiet and they wish they had moved somewhere with more things happening (definition of more is down to the individual its very quiet.

The property and land prices are also increasing yearly, I do expect the area to become popular in the future (great long beach)

Very popular with the Scandinavians in fact several areas I looked at I got the feeling that they did not want other nationalities moving in (maybe just me)

<snip>

I have been tempted to buy my own property in Chiang Mai, my Thai girlfriend nags me about it everyday, but have gotten cold feet over the legal issues of ownership.

How do you get around the legalities of Farlang ownership in Thailand?

This may help ?

Do a search on the forum for the term: Usufruct.

Edited by MJCM

cyberfarang post #12 ..................... you'll get many replies to your question no doubt but simply put a farang can buy a condo in his/her name (if the condo building ownership %age is 49%:51% farang:Thai) but you cannot own a house/land. So either put house in a Company name (might be problematic so do check) or through a Thai

That's the reason typically ladies here would definitely prefer the boyfriend buys a house rather than a condo.

Simple logic really

Good luck but do research the rules in advance

I have all ready done my in-depth research into this subject and why I wouldn`t touch throwing money into a property I can`t own with a barge pole, not even if I was married to a Thai. Thinking you`re on a safe bet by buying in a Thai wife name is a myth. I am fully aware that a Farlang can buy a condo and even land on certain conditions, including under a company but all I want to know is, how do the Farlangs that do buy in their wife`s names or by other means get around the legalities? Because I don`t believe that only those with companies are investing in land, I wasn`t born yesterday.

I am a retiree in Thailand and see no benefits to actually get married. This way I can throw my girlfriend`s ass out the door if she ever tried to screw me (not in the sexual sense) with no further commitments from me. If there was a secure way I could buy land and a house other then a condo I would get married, no problem. I have seen too many robbed and cheated by their Thai partners in the past and why no one can blame me for wanting to know the water is safe before I dive in.

If I could safely buy land in a wife`s name then I would get married not a problem, but I don`t believe this is possible

I live close to Ban Chang and at the moment the Thai's are rushing around buying land as the new 331 4 lane rd is almost complete and the airport is to open as international.

35 mins to Pattaya and 35 mins to Rayong. Loads of nice beaches.

I completely agree with prk888 you need to do your homework about the laws of ownership and to be truthful you will never completely own anything here.

However it is a fantastic place to live and finding renters when you are not here is easy (not Pattaya prices)

Take a vacation and check it out for sure. Make sure it is what you think it is and most of all check that the Chinote is valid at the local council offices.

As for shopping etc being better in Pattaya, I go to Pattaya for my 90 day report and my bacon. Everything else and I mean everything is on your doorstep in Ban Chang.

If you buy- do not expect to ever sell it or profit from it. Buying property in Thailand is difficult unless there is a Thai partner. Property in Thailand always goes up each year but that does not mean you can sell it for that price. My best advice- unless you can live here forever- and then will it to a Thai partner- rent.If you insist on buying- you must go to the land office to find who really is the owner and if there are any tax deficiencies or legal issues. Also there, you find what the land/house is really valued at. If you do not know how to do this-and have no one you trust implicitly who can do this- you might reconsider the purchase. Remember, Thailand does not have legal protections like the UK. I have seen many foreigners of all nationalities spend money on land/houses and lose it all. Don't be the next one.

If you buy- do not expect to ever sell it or profit from it. Buying property in Thailand is difficult unless there is a Thai partner. Property in Thailand always goes up each year but that does not mean you can sell it for that price. My best advice- unless you can live here forever- and then will it to a Thai partner- rent.If you insist on buying- you must go to the land office to find who really is the owner and if there are any tax deficiencies or legal issues. Also there, you find what the land/house is really valued at. If you do not know how to do this-and have no one you trust implicitly who can do this- you might reconsider the purchase. Remember, Thailand does not have legal protections like the UK. I have seen many foreigners of all nationalities spend money on land/houses and lose it all. Don't be the next one.

Really, I dont know where you live but 2 friends recently sold their houses in Sattahip and they sold very quickly.

I and my wife have sold 4 houses in different provinces and iit took each one about a year to be sold at the price we wanted. When I say we- all properties/houses were solely in her name and all the payments and taxes were solely in her name. Foreigners cannot legally own land in Thailand and without owning the land- I always tell people do not buy unless you have a trusted partner. Too many people have lost everything on land/houses they can never own.No matter what anyone tells you- you cannot own the land and the contract allowing you to own the house will not hold up in court.

Edited by Thaidream

I’ve seen lots of these types of posts on Thai Visa where people making recommendations or asking for advice about land and properties try to make it look like a doddle. Pay the money and you can have your own land empire, king of the castle.

Nothing can be further from the truth. A friend of mine recently lost his 10000000 baht house and land after his Thai wife put up the land to borrow money from loan sharks.

I think the people putting up recommendations for houses and land or those answering inquiries should at least be honest, tell how they are buying, what’s involved and to stop giving the less experienced a false awareness that it’s a good thing to do and they can`t go wrong.

I would say you have some good advice above in terms of taking your time. Dreams can become nightmares too. Maybe rent there for a while and see how you like it. Though the beach in Rayong is beautiful, I never see swimmers - I do see oil storage tanks... and you might check the cancer rates for the nearby areas... there have been problems there.

good luck - go slow.

Ive seen lots of these types of posts on Thai Visa where people making recommendations or asking for advice about land and properties try to make it look like a doddle. Pay the money and you can have your own land empire, king of the castle.

Nothing can be further from the truth. A friend of mine recently lost his 10000000 baht house and land after his Thai wife put up the land to borrow money from loan sharks.

I think the people putting up recommendations for houses and land or those answering inquiries should at least be honest, tell how they are buying, whats involved and to stop giving the less experienced a false awareness that its a good thing to do and they can`t go wrong.

Your friend was a fool and didn't have a usasfruct,did he.By the way it was her land.