Pension Increases for British Expats - A glimmer of hope?

GuestHouse

Well Kieth Vaz is on board for his 90% Asian voters, that's the best hope. Asians discriminated against when they retire back home.

The problem is as you know ,immigrants get everything ,us true Brits get nothing ,so you can bet your bottom dollar that if it comes to pass , Indians will get it but not us folk .

What about those that maintain a UK address and bank account and just quietly leave?

You mean the people committing fraud.

I know a guy who did it for 15 years until he died and another who got caught,(his ex split on him,) after back and fore for a year he pays them a bit back every month ,still gets his pension from when he SAID he left. Who says fraud doesn't pay:^_^^_^:

What about those that maintain a UK address and bank account and just quietly leave?

It's only fraud if they knowingly fail to disclose their absence from the UK. If the person in receipt of the pension had no idea they were required to do this then it's not fraud.

Their claim would of course be incorrect and they would have to repay the overpayment.

• 2 weeks later...

The Department for Work and Pensions told Money: “The government has a very clear position which has remained consistent for around 70 years: the UK state pension is payable worldwide, but is only uprated abroad where we have a legal requirement to do so – for example in the EEA [European Economic Area] or in countries where a reciprocal agreement that allows for uprating is in place. There are no plans to review this.

Back to the OP, I think that this is the telling piece of the Guardian article.

I am therefore not holding my breath.

The Department for Work and Pensions told Money: “The government has a very clear position which has remained consistent for around 70 years: the UK state pension is payable worldwide, but is only uprated abroad where we have a legal requirement to do so – for example in the EEA [European Economic Area] or in countries where a reciprocal agreement that allows for uprating is in place. There are no plans to review this.

Back to the OP, I think that this is the telling piece of the Guardian article.

I am therefore not holding my breath.

As I have said many times there are two hope's and one is Bob

if you think frozen pensions are bad wait until they abolish your personal allowance in 2017 you will get 20% less then

That really sucks. Not content with raking in income tax from my pension, they want to bleed me dry. Totally despicable.

It doesn't really suck, its scaremongering.

The personal allowance will remain for anyone who can demonstrate that they derive an income from the UK, pension or investment income, property rental income etc.

I sent them (the Government) an e-mail saying that if they were to withdraw our personal allowances we would return in our droves to put more pressure on the NHS, and sell any properties we own in the UK to protect ourselves from being taxed, thus creating another housing boom whereby so many properties would flood the market that prices would be driven down...but maybe that's a good thing, presently I own 2 properties in the UK that I rent out, but I would have to sell at least one to avoid taxation. ...obviously we would live in one of them.

Well they dropped the idea for now, but if they resurect the plan I am back there, I can't afford to loose 2k a year

I know a guy who did it for 15 years until he died and another who got caught,(his ex split on him,) after back and fore for a year he pays them a bit back every month ,still gets his pension from when he SAID he left. Who says fraud doesn't pay:^_^^_^:
Paying back a bit every month sounds like he got a mollycoddling?

Surprised this level of fraud does not attract a custodial sentence!

Paying back a bit every month sounds like he got a mollycoddling?

Surprised this level of fraud does not attract a custodial sentence!

You wish

if you think frozen pensions are bad wait until they abolish your personal allowance in 2017 you will get 20% less then

That really sucks. Not content with raking in income tax from my pension, they want to bleed me dry. Totally despicable.

It doesn't really suck, its scaremongering.

The personal allowance will remain for anyone who can demonstrate that they derive an income from the UK, pension or investment income, property rental income etc.

So long as our "beloved" Government don't move the goalposts, of course!

There was, indeed, a proposal to scrap our personal allowances put forward a couple of years ago, which, thankfully, was booted into the long grass - but with the proviso that it could be resurrected at some point in the future, though.

Archived