Vientiene or Penang?

Need to leave the country next month as starting a new job in April and need get a single entry tourist visa for them to convert to a non-b at a later date.

Looking to leave Bangkok on Thursday morning and come back on the Friday evening.

What would be the easiest and cheapest of the two options? I have done Vientiene several times in the past but wouldn't mind a change if Penang is cheaper / easier.

I think you need to check the flight schedules to Penang. You only can do your application in the morning and pickup the next afternoon.

Vientiane has same application times but the earliest flight from Bangkok will get you there on time. You can even go via Udon Thani and get there in time to apply.

perhaps Savannakhet then, super easy & super cheap & transport transition in timing can be perfect with little wasted time .

Is it easier/cheaper to get there from Bangkok? I can't see how... fly to Udon Thani and quick ride - but how to Savannakhet?

I think he us writing about doing it by bus.

Nok Air has a fly ride service to Mukdahan via 3 nearby airports. Air Asia does it via Nakhon Phanom.

I'd go to Siem Reap and spend a couple of days, very inexpensive there anyway, and inexpensive to travel there by bus if cost is a concern.

What do you think he could do there? There is no Thai embassy or consulate there.

Not the possibility to use a Cambodian Visa service?

That is offered in Sihanoukville, used by me some years ago, so possibly also in Siem Reap?

50 Dollar for that, single entry Tourist Visa in Phnom Penh, last time by me used June, 2013.