Phuket school issues child kidnap warning

webfact

Phuket school issues child kidnap warning
The Phuket News

1455626009_1-org.jpg
Parents are urged to keep a close an eye on their children following reports of an alleged child abuction in Phuket Town. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: -- A school in Phuket Town has issued a warning about an alleged attempted child abduction in front of the school by a man driving a white van.

The warning is in response to Facebook posts urging parents to take precautions to ensure their children’s safety, Winai Suriyaprakan, Director of Plookpanya Municipal School, told The Phuket News this afternoon.

“We have yet to confirm the incident actually took place. The school thought it best to take prudent steps to ensure the safety of children as our top priority while we sort this out,” Mr Winai explained.

The letter issued by Mr Winai said, “Some parents have published details on Facebook about protecting students because of a van that was parked in front of Plookpanya School, and then a man came to talk with a student who was sitting alone at the stairs at the main gate of the school, close to the school sign.

“After that, the man took a piece of cloth to cover the mouth and nose of the student, but the student escaped and shouted to friends. The man ran away to the van and left.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-school-issues-child-kidnap-warning-56247.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-02-17

It actually is a miracle that not more incidents like this one happen. If I look at how "affectionate" most local Thai parents are with their children, dropping "the load" off at school without a goodbye, kiss or hug - just like a bag full of laundry - I am at awe sometimes... I am surprised that all of them remember at around 03:00 pm to return and pick up "the load" again.

In addition, safety measures to ensure that no pupils are being kidnapped in or around the school compound are basically non-existent. Thus, I can only advise caring parents to send and pick up their kids at school themselves, whatever the cost (even if it means changing the job or relocating, whatever) to assure the safety of their kids. I believe at this point I do not need to comment on "safety" of the so-called "school buses"... or their drivers... sad.png

Edited by MockingJay