Webcam Extension Of Foreigners' Stays Okayed

Webcam extension of foreigners' stays okayed

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau has launched a new service ......

Bad, 90percent of the farang-party can this not use.....

WY...

look at the morning in the badroom-mirror.... You now this guy,you trust this guy.....

Okay,fill out your form as bevor and wait

Herbert

This sort of arrangement is used in my country so that dangerous criminals do not have to be transported to the court room. They just talk to the court via closed circuit television. That way the high-up people in the court don't have to come into closer contact with the potentially violent criminal.

Perhaps the same thought process is going on here.........

:o

kenk3z

I agree with those who think this is a good move.

I am also quite disappointed that there is so much negativity to what, in any other country, would be regarded as a great step forward. I cant imagine the Australians doing it, or even the paranoid yanks.

Admittedly there is a lot that can be improved in our country, but to criticise for the sake of criticism is unwarranted.

Give it a rest - at least they are doing something to try to make life easier and better (yes, maybe for them, but also for us), and that's more than can be said for the Immigration Gestapo in most countries!

I agree with you Greer. Seems any news bring out those that have nothing better to do with their time than to complain. Even if it was limited to those with 80 or more workers, that 80 less in line no matter who you are. I feel sorry for those than can never, ever say anything positive here.

Perhaps there is an long-term plan to expand the web cam service? It would be logical (by Western standards at least) to introduce the service in a small controlled group to get the technological and procedural bumps ironed out.

Hope springs eternal (with me, at least) that the group announced is a test group and that the web cam reporting will later be expanded to include more and more groups, like retirees doing 90-day reports for example.

I do wonder, though, how they would manage a larger group of people eligible to report via web cam: would it be first-come first-served, would you need to make an appointment for your web cam appearance (and then hope that the internet was not "down" at the appointed time), or what?

The negative comments and feedback above are mostly valid points, but c'mon guys, lets give it a chance. At least ... so far! ... it hasn't made any other processes or procedures any different.

The way I read the article, extending your visa with a webcam has nothing to do with having 80 or more farangs employed in your business.

According to the article, the webcam extension service is open to all foreigners requesting an extension of their visa.

The webcam makes it more convenient for foreigners to reach the bureau.

Does anyone have a link to the new web camera service?

I hate it when a reporter publishes an article about a new Internet service and does not give the link. Very inconsiderate on the part of Bangkok Post. (Not that other newspapers are any better in this regard)

I hope to get the URL from the Immigration Bureau and then post it here.

---------------

Maestro

The web cam idea sounds good to me. Saw the computer station at the one stop office when my visa extension was renewed last week. Wondered what it was about.

We use to pay a little tea money to avoid the personal appearance, but enforcement of company policy, based a certain US law, brought that to stop a couple of years ago. Luckily our office is only a couple of minutes from the one stop office, so entire trip for me took less then an hour, but the web cam would be cool.

Oh, and we employ about 100 expats in Thailand

TH

It has to be a good idea, since going to the immigration office is the last thing anyone wants to do! But how will they put the extension in your Passport? Will you do everything online and then send your passport in some how to get the visa extension stamped into your passport? Or maybe they give you the extension and when you show up at the airport you can get it stamped? Not sure on how it will work, but sounds like a great idea and maybe they will figure out the bugs later on. It would be great if it worked like the Banks, atm, bank book reader/printer. You put your money in the Immigration ATM (fees), it scans your documents, you get the approval or denial. If approved then put your passport in the same machine and it comes out with the extension stamped and your good to go! Just an idea! They could have alot of locations and one in the outer cities so you would not have to come to Bkk! It could be set up to understand several languages and you could have the link via webcam to a real person, if necessary! Sounds like the future is right around the corner. The banks are online, why not immigration? The banks went to ATM's to save money, why not immigration!

I hear it all the time about how bad everything is here! But that is just because you don't have a clue on how to get it done or where to go to get it! I complain about it myself, but then realize it is not them, it is me! Most of the stuff they ask for is the same if not worse in our own countries!

Was curious about the 100 you employe. Can you tell us what they do and why you have so many? Aloha!

BW :o

It would be nice if this type service was extended to foreigners holding retirement visas who need to report their address every 90 days.

Why? You can report 90 days by sending the form by post - no need to go to the immigration office. If you don't have a form, you can download one from this website.

The way I read the article, extending your visa with a webcam has nothing to do with having 80 or more farangs employed in your business.

According to the article, the webcam extension service is open to all foreigners requesting an extension of their visa.

The webcam makes it more convenient for foreigners to reach the bureau.

I agree with you Richard, I read it the same way as you. The article talks about the webcam service first and THEN goes on to say there is ALSO a Mobile Service for Firms of 80 plus foreigners. The 2 do not seem connected, unless it is another badly worded article.

Please can our Sponsors clarify or confirm one way or the other. I believe the Webcam Service is DIFFERENT to the Mobile Service for firm with 80 plus foreign Employees who after all, would surely have their renewals at different dates and not all at the same time.

Regards, Dave

It has to be a good idea, since going to the immigration office is the last thing anyone wants to do! But how will they put the extension in your Passport?

yup, I also very wonder about this..!

How the extension stamp will arrive in our passport ..? :D

Except if the webcam we are supposed to use is in the Immigration office, but then, it would limit a bit the interest of the process... :o

Sunbelt has answered that this program has been used for a few people that had documents submitted by legal representatives so the video part was just to see the person - paperwork was at immigration office. Obviously helpful for business persons who can travel and meet appointment rather than have to make plans and visit immigration in person.

Sunbelt has answered that this program has been used for a few people that had documents submitted by legal representatives so the video part was just to see the person - paperwork was at immigration office. Obviously helpful for business persons who can travel and meet appointment rather than have to make plans and visit immigration in person.

Hi Lopburi3

Sunbelt stated their message with:

"The lawyer or company rep is still submitting the paperwork and supporting doc's. All that is happening is the applicant does not have to go to the Immigration office.

You would find most all TV readers do not qualify as the firm needs to employ more than 80 foreigners. "

Sunbelt ARE linking the Webcam Service to the Mobile Service as they say MOST would not qualify as the firm need to employ more 80 people. However the original article does NOT suggest a link.

SO please forgive me for STILL thinking the situation is unclear.

Regards

Dave

My reply was to post #42 directly above that questioned the how it could be done rather than your post. Believe like many such news reports this is a preview rather than a normal practice and only time will tell what it really will mean to most of us.

My reply was to post #42 directly above that questioned the how it could be done rather than your post. Believe like many such news reports this is a preview rather than a normal practice and only time will tell what it really will mean to most of us.

Hi Lopburi3,

Thanks and apologies. My mistake

Sometimes difficult to fully follow everybodys input and replies to specific parts.

Regards

Dave