Visa service or doing it yourself

A friend got his retirement extension recently and was so impressed with his lawyers visa service and he "only" paid 35,000. Not trying to insult him I mentioned politely "For something that would cost you about 5000 to do yourself (including re-entry permits) the service for a 30000 surcharge should be impeccable". Shocked by my claim, he completely dismissed me and went on again about his great lawyer. What do you say to the guy who already knows everything??

Buy me a beer seeing you have money to burn.

Very easy to do yourself.

Why waste money and still end up with problems as happens so often?

why waste precious time? whistling.gif

Alot of us are on retirement visa extentions and have nothing but time.So unless you are in your mid 90's and time might be running out,what's the hassle.I enjoy dealing with them,all a learning curve on how Thailand works.

For my experience,the first time o non immi extension of stay procedure is complicated as i am willing to pay if i am rich but i have no money.

How do you learn for the second time,you rekon the agent is going to show you.No wonder Thai's think we're a dumb lot.Met a mate at IO the other day and he was trying to get a multi entry while extention was under consideration,can't do it.He wouldn't listen to IO.I explained it to him.Also he wants a multi entry for one trip,maybe,back home.Just get a single entry i suggest,no iwant to make sure with a multi entry,he said.Thai's are right.

For my experience,the first time o non immi extension of stay procedure is complicated as i am willing to pay if i am rich but i have no money.

How do you learn for the second time,you rekon the agent is going to show you.No wonder Thai's think we're a dumb lot.Met a mate at IO the other day and he was trying to get a multi entry while extention was under consideration,can't do it.He wouldn't listen to IO.I explained it to him.Also he wants a multi entry for one trip,maybe,back home.Just get a single entry i suggest,no iwant to make sure with a multi entry,he said.Thai's are right.

I hope the IO obliged and sold the 3,800 Bht re-entry permit which had a life span of 30 days max.

Perhaps he will learn to listen/take advice when he discovers he has wasted his money.

A friend got his retirement extension recently and was so impressed with his lawyers visa service and he "only" paid 35,000. Not trying to insult him I mentioned politely "For something that would cost you about 5000 to do yourself (including re-entry permits) the service for a 30000 surcharge should be impeccable". Shocked by my claim, he completely dismissed me and went on again about his great lawyer. What do you say to the guy who already knows everything??

Yearly Retirement extensions should only cost B1900 .

They do but if someone wishes to pay B35,000 for an extension and they believe they have enjoyed a "good deal" then OK

It is said there is one born every minute and for sure they walk among us !

• Like 1

I hope the IO obliged and sold the 3,800 Bht re-entry permit which had a life span of 30 days max.

Perhaps he will learn to listen/take advice when he discovers he has wasted his money.

the multiple exit/re-entry permit (cost 3,900 Baht) is valid for one year.

Valid only up to the expiry date of current permission of stay !

• Like 1

They do but if someone wishes to pay B35,000 for an extension and they believe they have enjoyed a "good deal" then OK

there are also those who walk among us who'd jump with joy if they could afford 35k Baht for a specific service and think they had a good deal.

Valid only up to the expiry date of current permission of stay !

yes, that's "only" one year because one usually applies for the "multiple" when applying for extension of stay.

Very easy to do yourself.

Why waste money and still end up with problems as happens so often?

why waste precious time? whistling.gif

Alot of us are on retirement visa extentions and have nothing but time.So unless you are in your mid 90's and time might be running out,what's the hassle.I enjoy dealing with them,all a learning curve on how Thailand works.

to each his own smile.png

3,800 Baht and is valid up to the end of your current permision to stay.

• Like 1

i repeat:

yes, that's "only" one year because one usually applies for the "multiple" when applying for extension of stay.

Clearly some do not make wise decisions and spend 3800Bht on a permit which has a life span of 30 days !

An awful lot of tea money?

Allegedly paid to a "lawyer" who most likely provided a receipt for the 35k's worth of "professional service" smile.png

the regular (and fair) fee for an agent who arranges yearly extension, multiple exit/re-entry and the letter "proof of residence" is 10,000 Baht. that's approximately 4,000 baht above actual cost. and obviously people exist who are willing to pay 110 US-Dollars or 100 €URos for this service.

Have a mate here in Phuket used visa service/agent for retirement extention they supplied the 800k......cost 30 k thb...

Got extention no problem but passport gone 4 days.....He was told too get his 90 day report he had too go thru the agent.....

He did this last week passport gone for 3 days with a fee of 3 k thb...Total rip off......all back door and back hander stuff....

Have a mate here in Phuket used visa service/agent for retirement extention they supplied the 800k......cost 30 k thb...

Got extention no problem but passport gone 4 days.....He was told too get his 90 day report he had too go thru the agent.....

He did this last week passport gone for 3 days with a fee of 3 k thb...Total rip off......all back door and back hander stuff....

Those who seek to cheat have to pay.

I have zero sympathy with your "mate" who allegedly has now committed (at least) a fraud and is now living in the LOS illegally.

And when he gets found out it will be him who gets into trouble not the other crooks.

i repeat:

Not in the case of the person you were replying to.

• Like 1

i repeat:

Not in the case of the person you were replying to.

ou are right, i apologise wai2.gif

I got SCREWED to the tune of ฿19,000 when I used a service. They overlooked a date that immigration had stamped incorrectly, and when I went in for a 90 day reporting, some rabid little weasel immigration official saw the mistake which COMPLETELY NEGATED my non-immigrant O visa. I had to start over from scratch, did it completely myself, and now I understand the process and have a perfectly legit passport with all the stamps correct.

I got SCREWED to the tune of ฿19,000 when I used a service. They overlooked a date that immigration had stamped incorrectly, and when I went in for a 90 day reporting, some rabid little weasel immigration official saw the mistake which COMPLETELY NEGATED my non-immigrant O visa. I had to start over from scratch, did it completely myself, and now I understand the process and have a perfectly legit passport with all the stamps correct.

I am confused! Where did you obtain the non-immigrant O visa? Visas are rarely if ever "negated" or cancelled by immigration.

Are you are really saying an Immigration Officer noticed there was something wrong with an "extension of stay" stamp? As a matter of interest were you required to attend the immigration office when the "agent" obtained the extension?

I use an agent every year. Could probably do it myself, but the agent charges 6,500 baht for service plus government fees. For me, that is well worth it.

I email whatever new docs are needed and show up at Chaeng Wattana at agreed time. She already has a number and very shortly we go to desk of her favorite officer. Small chat, all done. I leave, she goes get re-entry permit, messenger brings my passport to my home next day.

Money well spent for me. I have no need to prove my manhood by taking on Thai bureaucracy unassisted. Others may have different perspective.

TH

• Like 1