Will a 2 day overstay effect my chances of a extension?

I came to thailand on a 30 day visa exempt entry which I extend for 1month+1week. then I got a setv from laos 2 months ago. I thought that I have to leave or extend by the 19th but just realised its actually the 16th. I want to extend another month before doing another visa run, unfortunately I have made plan for tomorrow morning/afternoon so if its not a big deal I will go to immigration on friday morning. Would this effect my chances of getting a 1 month extension? also how much is it per day for overstay?

cool thanks and while Im at it I wanna ask about my next visa run. Like i said I came into thailand on a 30 day exempt entry visa which I extend for 30days and then again for 1 week. I did my first visa run in vientiane which is the one im looking to extend now. So next month i'd be doing my next run. If I got to the same embassy in vientiane again are my chances looking good? I've heard you can get like 3-4 back to back but once they see that ive already been here 5 months arent they going to start asking questions? What sort of odds am I looking at? and if it doesnt work in vientiane do they put some sort of "denied" stamp or can I go and try somewhere else?

cool thanks and while Im at it I wanna ask about my next visa run. Like i said I came into thailand on a 30 day exempt entry visa which I extend for 30days and then again for 1 week. I did my first visa run in vientiane which is the one im looking to extend now. So next month i'd be doing my next run. If I got to the same embassy in vientiane again are my chances looking good? I've heard you can get like 3-4 back to back but once they see that ive already been here 5 months arent they going to start asking questions? What sort of odds am I looking at? and if it doesnt work in vientiane do they put some sort of "denied" stamp or can I go and try somewhere else?

It is unlikely you will be refused outright but you may receive a "warning" stamp which will require any future application to be supported by evidence of income being derived from abroad together with proof of address.

Other Embassy's/Consulates may accept an application but you should avoid KL.

What can me more important then dealing with an immigration issue. If you are on overstay and get stopped by police on Friday because you want to go to Bangkok Zoo, Water Park, or Soi Cowboy. You can go to jail.

• Like 2

What can me more important then dealing with an immigration issue. If you are on overstay and get stopped by police on Friday because you want to go to Bangkok Zoo, Water Park, or Soi Cowboy. You can go to jail.

more important than an immigration issue?

in my case i was setting up a new project and stretched to my limits financially for a period of just over a year. Moneys that would have been spent clearing overstay (caused by a 3 week delay in issuance of a new passport) and travel expenses were re-diverted to my kid's school fees.

that was my priority. At that time an overstay was no big deal. In today's political climate I would act differently.

as for worrying about getting stopped, its a tiny calculated risk.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

if I only go do the extension on monay will saturday and sunday also count towards an overstay?

You will be pushing your luck by waiting until Monday, They might only give you 7 days to leave the country after you pay the fine (3000 baht) for 6 days of overstay and1900 baht for the extension.

• Like 1

if I only go do the extension on monay will saturday and sunday also count towards an overstay?

You will be pushing your luck by waiting until Monday, They might only give you 7 days to leave the country after you pay the fine (3000 baht) for 6 days of overstay and1900 baht for the extension.

Im looking do get a 30 day extension for my visa so if I do it on monday i would be paying 3000 baht and getting the + 30 days starting from feb 16 for another 30 days, what do you mean by "pushing my luck" as in they wont give me the 30 day extension?

Im looking do get a 30 day extension for my visa so if I do it on monday i would be paying 3000 baht and getting the + 30 days starting from feb 16 for another 30 days, what do you mean by "pushing my luck" as in they wont give me the 30 day extension?

By overstaying 6 days the immigration officers could refuse you an extension of more than than 7 days during which time you must leave the country.

If you choose to deliberately overstay you must also be prepared to accept the consequences.

By overstaying 6 days the immigration officers could refuse you an extension of more than than 7 days during which time you must leave the country.

If you choose to deliberately overstay you must also be prepared to accept the consequences.

if this were to happen would it affect my chances of getting a another setv?

Consequences that could include being arrested and sent through the deportation process. If you apply with more than a 7 day overstay you are IMO on very dodgy ground.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OP its not really clear how long you wish to stay from now forward. You refer to visa run to Vientiane. Don't know where you currently are. If in bkk you could fly somewhere and obtain setv clearing your short overstay at airport. I just looked up AirAsia bkk to hcmc, 3k return next week. Depending on how many stamps you have you could possibly just out in and obtain stamp.

The best option would be setv then no pressure time wise. Just a thought

Hey so Im doing my next border run early thursday morning in vietianne and just want to double check, is the thai embassy going to be open next thursday/friday?

Yes they will be open.

The only holiday this month was on the 8th.

Hey so Im doing my next border run early thursday morning in vietianne and just want to double check, is the thai embassy going to be open next thursday/friday?

You may have an overnight stay in order to make your application in a morning and collect your Visa in the afternoon, so plan accordingly or you'll get stuck there for the weekend.

Edited by Faz

okay cool thanks for the responses guys, got another question. Theoritically speaking if you were to get declined a new visa for whatever reason is there a way to come back into the country to retrieve your belongings? I have 2 big luggages with of stuff and dont want to take them with me for just a border run so if I were to get declined how could I retrieve my stuff?

P4K what's your situation with visa exempt stamps. If you just wish to return briefly to collect belongings why not obtain stamp. Would be easier if you were flying

ummm i think i used mine can I get another one? I came to thailand beginning of october on a 30 day visa exempt entry which I extended for 30days+1week then got an setv from vientianne which I extended for 30 days

P4K what's your situation with visa exempt stamps. If you just wish to return briefly to collect belongings why not obtain stamp. Would be easier if you were flying

ummm i think i used mine can I get another one? I came to thailand beginning of october on a 30 day visa exempt entry which I extended for 30days+1week then got an setv from vientianne which I extended for 30 days

What makes you think you can only get one. There is no written limit on getting them. Six triggers an alert on immigration's system.

OP if you have only had one SETV from Vientiane you will have no problems getting another

I got a double entry from there last year, used that then went to Cambodia and got a 30 day exempt which I extended for 30 days, 10 days ago I went back to Vientiane and got a SETV with no problems