Commerce Ministry announces 8 goods barred from transfer in and out of Thailand

webfact

more stupidity, cant these fools explain anything...so I buy 3 t-shirts with diferent logos on them (dont know what any of them mean) my bag is inspected at BKK so I am now charged with trying to export IP items..for gods sake its idiotic...as for the elephant I get that one (almost)

Edit for this ; After my knee jerk I had a thinkfacepalm.gif ...this is all to do with the UN Agenda 21 which is the main driving force behind TTP and TTIP and the Internet copyright control...they are getting into line like good little boys to remove our fredoms hence the war on Cash going on at the moment ...all about tracking and controlbah.gif

The war on cash is progressing quite nicely, the 500 Euro to be gone and now discussing US $100 bill, that is definitely on the agenda for western countries and soon. Doubt though Thailand fortunately is in a state to be able to outlaw cash, too much cash used in markets, mom & pops etc.

That might be another reason to stay here, namely not having the government tracking your every expenditure and of course locking money into accounts to to raped by negative interest rates.

Can you give us some links for this -

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ecb-banknote-idUSKCN0VO1UM

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ecb-considering-removal-of-500-notes-1455550298

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/16/investing/hundred-dollar-bill-larry-summers/

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/getting-rid-of-100-would-be-no-easy-task-2016-02-17

Mainstream enough?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta keep that foreign caffine out. Deadly stuff.

Think this is more down to the standard: Money number one.....

Since the coffee i buy in Thailand, is more expensive here than in Sweden facepalm.gif

But in Laos and Vietnam it is nearly half the price....

So they are just trying to stop parallel import within ASEAN coffee1.gif

Amazing Thailand

wai2.gif

Lots of people will feel lonely without their laptop, tablet or cell phone, all 3 of these can be classed as gaming devices should the law feel that way inclined to do so.

Theres a business opportunity now for someone who wants to rent devices to tourists.

Edited by rhythmworx

more stupidity, cant these fools explain anything...so I buy 3 t-shirts with diferent logos on them (dont know what any of them mean) my bag is inspected at BKK so I am now charged with trying to export IP items..for gods sake its idiotic...as for the elephant I get that one (almost)

Edit for this ; After my knee jerk I had a thinkfacepalm.gif ...this is all to do with the UN Agenda 21 which is the main driving force behind TTP and TTIP and the Internet copyright control...they are getting into line like good little boys to remove our fredoms hence the war on Cash going on at the moment ...all about tracking and controlbah.gif

The war on cash is progressing quite nicely, the 500 Euro to be gone and now discussing US $100 bill, that is definitely on the agenda for western countries and soon. Doubt though Thailand fortunately is in a state to be able to outlaw cash, too much cash used in markets, mom & pops etc.

That might be another reason to stay here, namely not having the government tracking your every expenditure and of course locking money into accounts to to raped by negative interest rates.

Can you give us some links for this -

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ecb-banknote-idUSKCN0VO1UM

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ecb-considering-removal-of-500-notes-1455550298

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/16/investing/hundred-dollar-bill-larry-summers/

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/getting-rid-of-100-would-be-no-easy-task-2016-02-17

Mainstream enough?

Thanks but not sure why you cut my quote which was specifically reference the $100 US bill.......

So actually only one person has raised it so hardly "definitely on the agenda for western countries and soon".........Unless your soon is measured differently to mine I suppose but do you really see that happening in the next 5 years?

BANGKOK, 19 February 2016 (NNT)- The Ministry of Commerce has announces a list of 8 goods that have been barred from transfer through the Thai border by the United Nations.

The 8 goods that have been banned from being transferred in and out of Thailand include products that infringe upon intellectual property, reproductions of licensed goods, hookahs and E-Cigarettes, gaming devices, elephant products, ancient artifacts, Buddhist paraphernalia and caffeine.

I don't quite understand this announcement.

Does it mean for commercial purposes?

I mean what about someone having an E-cigarette?

Also what do they mean "gaming devices"? Surely mobile phones are gaming devices.

"Gaming" is also a name for gambling, so, perhaps, maybe they mean things like a slot machine.

Am I allowed to bring my e cigars when I arrive and exit thailand.

By the look of it, no. I use e cigarettes and they used to cause some excitement on the X-ray ( but never confiscated). Now I break them down into smaller parts so that they don't show up like a cigarette/cigar but just a power bank and odd bits and pieces in a separate bag. Seems to work but I 'Ve no great desire to go to prison ( or more likely but my way out). This is just a crock....protecting the tobacco monopoly and denying people what might be a means to quit tobacco or at least a healthier alternative if they can't quit nicotine. Pathetic.

I'm wondering if this is just the usual Thaiglish, and that what it actually refers to is importers/exporters of vaping devices, not tourists and others who travel via air and bring a small amount of gear and liquid for personal use?

Can someone who reads Thai have a look at the Thai-language posting and see if there's some nuance which has been lost?

I'm wondering if this is just the usual Thaiglish, and that what it actually refers to is importers/exporters of vaping devices, not tourists and others who travel via air and bring a small amount of gear and liquid for personal use?

Can someone who reads Thai have a look at the Thai-language posting and see if there's some nuance which has been lost?

I hope so even though that would be silly as there is a significant market for these devices, well accepted in Europe and to a significant extent in the US.

Given that more than 59% of Thai men smoke, any alternative should be pursued rather than blocked. Sure, ban the silly flavours than appeal to kids and Sheesha

I hope so even though that would be silly as there is a significant market for these devices, well accepted in Europe and to a significant extent in the US.

Given that more than 59% of Thai men smoke, any alternative should be pursued rather than blocked. Sure, ban the silly flavours than appeal to kids and Sheesha

It's all about the money they make from tax at the end of the day. They tell us not to drink or smoke but on the other hand ban all other substitutes that we could have because they can not get their control or cut from it.

Maybe a "gaming machine" means the so called slot machines that take money. Surely not playstation and so on.

The problem isn't the laws but the police interpretation of them. Like " Bridge " is an illegal gambling card game. Let's face it The Thai police Force are not the smartest people on the planet.

Uh-oh. Back from Lao and I realized I had a garlic bulb in my bag. Should I turn myself in or wait for them to come for me?

Really, though, I do bring around 4 or 5 kilos back from Lao whenever I make the trip. The list says caffeine, not natural substances known to contain it, otherwise I think they would have coffee, tea etc spelled out.

Uh-oh. Back from Lao and I realized I had a garlic bulb in my bag. Should I turn myself in or wait for them to come for me?

Really, though, I do bring around 4 or 5 kilos back from Lao whenever I make the trip. The list says caffeine, not natural substances known to contain it, otherwise I think they would have coffee, tea etc spelled out.

No Thinking in Thailand, or u will get in Trouble...

Maybe this will be the death of the DVD,speaker and watch Hawkers that inundate the bars and sidewalks of Thailands main tourist area's frequently...Along with all the other unlicensed copy items they sell...It's time the BIB started treating the cause,rather than the symptom.TIT.

Maybe a "gaming machine" means the so called slot machines that take money. Surely not playstation and so on.

They were talking about IP infringements.. so I thought that they would mean games and as its hard to see the difference between real and fake they took the step to ban it all.

Must have been in my mind.

This coming from a country where 90% of the people that buy a notebook/computer and it will be loaded with fake windows as standard unless you buy the real deal same as I did, now would it be IP infringement if you go on holidays and take your notebook with you? while wearing your Billabong shorts, Ripcurl T-shirt, Quiksilver hat n Raybans? all bought in the LOS, and then there's the wife/GF, Man this is about as carefully thought out as no alcohol in the (vicinity) of a school.

Do ya think these blokes know the words ambiguous, definitive, clear, absolute, whistling.gif

Let's see if any of this will be enforced.

Elephant products- how about the endless leather belts and wallets sold at the airport even?

Buddhist paraphernalia- how about the many Thai travelling with Amulets for safety and luck?

Caffeine- how about all the OTOP and Doi Thung coffee sold to tourists to take home?

Understand copy right infringement, Illegal ivory etc. All else just big BS. Why do e-cigarettes need a separate mention?

<deleted>

just come to thailand don't buy anything because you'll goto jail. Don't go and drink because it might be near a school or temple and you'll go to jail. Don't go anywhere without your passport or you'll go to jail. And for gods sake to go to beach or you'll get KILLED.

<deleted>

just come to thailand don't buy anything because you'll goto jail. Don't go and drink because it might be near a school or temple and you'll go to jail. Don't go anywhere without your passport or you'll go to jail. And for gods sake to go to beach or you'll get KILLED.

You forgot the most important thing: "Give us your money or credit card and then you can leave."

Maybe this will be the death of the DVD,speaker and watch Hawkers that inundate the bars and sidewalks of Thailands main tourist area's frequently...Along with all the other unlicensed copy items they sell...It's time the BIB started treating the cause,rather than the symptom.TIT.

Some of those are genuine copies though.

".....by the United Nations"? Who are they trying to kid? I'm sure the UN ambassadors spend hours debating the merits of hookahs and caffeine in Thailand.

Rules are set Thailand tries to abide. You try to slag off Thailand by using international rulings to only slag off Thailand.