PM Prayut says US President Obama understands Thai political situation

webfact

PM says US president understands Thai political situation

pmp.jpg

BANGKOK, 19 February 2016 (NNT) – The Prime Minister has assured that while the US has devoted great importance to Thailand and ASEAN, it has refrained from pressuring the Kingdom on its political situation.

Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha has revealed that during his attendance of the US-ASEAN leader’s summit in California of the United State, US President Barack Obama did not indicate any pressure on Thailand concerning its political circumstances.

He stated that instead, the US leader acknowledged that Thailand is moving towards democracy with the drafting of a new constitution and gave his support on the matter as he sees the ASEAN region as an important partner for the US.

The PM added that the US and ASEAN have made good progress on a number of issues, such as security, economics and investments. He pointed out Thailand must move in step with other nations of the world and that its economy must progress independent of political influence.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-19 footer_n.gif

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One post referring to the Thai Prime Minister as "Herr General" has been removed from this thread.

Members are reminded of the following from the pinned topic in the News Forum:

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed. Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed.

Posters violating these rules and the forum rules will receive a warning, a possible suspension of posting privileges or a ban from the site.

Please check the entire list of forum rules: http://www.thaivisa....tion=boardrules

In other news (which we can't link to), this lot seem to have decided they will stay in power for an undetermined period after any election to keep an eye on whoever gets the public nod - with that handy Section 44 the General promised not to abuse last year.

Indefinitely the way I read it.

Edited by Thailand

I wonder if Uncle Too took any notes during President Obama's opening statement:

"The historic election in Myanmar and the transition now underway gives hope for a nation that is inclusive, united, peaceful and democratic."

"And here at the summit, we can reaffirm that strong, prosperous and inclusive societies require good governance,

rule of law, accountable institutions, vibrant civil societies, and upholding human rights."

"So, economic growth that is inclusive, creating opportunity for all; mutual security and the peaceful resolution of disputes; human dignity,

including respect for human rights and development that is sustainable -- that is our vision."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/02/15/remarks-president-obama-opening-session-us-asean-summit

Edited by iReason

In other news (which we can't link to), this lot seem to have decided they will stay in power for an undetermined period after any election to keep an eye on whoever gets the public nod - with that handy Section 44 the General promised not to abuse last year.

Indefinitely the way I read it.
What, a case of 'Congatulations on your election victory. Now here are your policies'?

I'm afraid the silence from Obama is only because the problems and illegalities of having a non-elected gov't here is at the very bottom of a very very long list of priorities. Thailand means nothing to the US in scale of what's happening in the world. Thais have to learn that Thailand is only the center of the Universe to Thais.

Obama also said that prayuth is the biggest leader in the world, Thailand the best country in the world, Thai people the happiest people in the world. Obama arranged a retirement visa for himself and the missus and says he's looking forward to spending his old days in Jomtien, the pearl of SEAsia...

Mind you a bit hypocritical to have a go at Thailand's junta when we have Saudi Arabia, an absolute Monarchy with not even a whiff of democracy and lopping off heads to boot, regarded as a perfectly acceptable style of government. Poor old Saddam even used to be best buddies and devoid of criticism till he stepped out of line, Ukraine, US installed bloody Nazis.

So the reality is that the US is not bothered by the type of government just how subservient it is.

What he actually said was "Man it's hot in here. Do you know how long we are supposed to pose for these photos?"

We have had an expert lip reader put on the case Canuck. This is his report :

Obama to aid : " Who is that guy standing over there by himself?"

Aide: " I think it is the man who valet parked your car in Vegas a couple of years back Mr President "

Obama: " OK I understand"

General Prayut says " Thailand must move in step with the other countries.."

It is going to be a huge and Herculean task to train the other countries to get the step right. Statistics show that 99.7 % of other countries are badly out of step. He should have stuck to legalising happiness and left it at that.

I'm afraid the silence from Obama is only because the problems and illegalities of having a non-elected gov't here is at the very bottom of a very very long list of priorities. Thailand means nothing to the US in scale of what's happening in the world. Thais have to learn that Thailand is only the center of the Universe to Thais.

Thai soaps are also center of the universe in Laos! 555

Yes as a American who left the USA because my fellow country men voted not once but twice for this moron I can assure the ultra left wing Marxist Communist "understands" the PM. In this case I hope the PM told the anti Christ to <deleted> off. Maybe Thailand can invade the US and liberate everyone so I can return. smile.png