A home visit from an immigration officer

What is the reasoning behind this ?

Why would the Thai immigration want to know where every foreigner is staying every night ?

What could they possibly do with this information ?

What use could it be ?

I really cannot envisage the Thai authorities logging all the information and keeping track of everyone .

There would be 100s of millions of forms submitted every year .

The house holder needs to report your residence there by submitting a TM30 form.

Plenty are being fined for not doing this.

You have seen or heard this first hand?

Certainly hasnt happened around my way in Phuket.

Phuket were one of the first immigration offices to start insisting on a TM 30. They have also been active in ensuring hotels/guest houses are complaint with TM30 reporting

I guess you have not renewed a long stay extension recently

To all. Do as I do: Ignore the entire TM 28/TM30 hokus-pokus. If all Farangs would act according to my recommendation, the subject would be off the table in no time at all.

Imagine this: If all the foreign residents in Europe and every green-card holder in the US would be subjected to such requirements, it would immediately trigger media-comments like "Nice, we had the same under the regime of a certain gentlemen with the name of Joseph Stalin.

Outside of Thailand: Unthinkable! To the best of my knowledge, there is no other country on this planet, that can top this as far as "Absurd-Legislation" is concerned.

I can only speak for myself. If I ever should be confronted with this TM 28/30 issue personally, I would be glad to pay "the fine", but not forgetting to tell the "Immigration-Officer" in no uncertain terms that I would be out of the Kingdom within 48 hours, along with my money.

The point: Enough is enough. I do not need to live in Thailand.

Cheers.

• Like 2

To all. Do as I do: Ignore the entire TM 28/TM30 hokus-pokus. If all Farangs would act according to my recommendation, the subject would be off the table in no time at all.

Imagine this: If all the foreign residents in Europe and every green-card holder in the US would be subjected to such requirements, it would immediately trigger media-comments like "Nice, we had the same under the regime of a certain gentlemen with the name of Joseph Stalin.

Outside of Thailand: Unthinkable! To the best of my knowledge, there is no other country on this planet, that can top this as far as "Absurd-Legislation" is concerned.

I can only speak for myself. If I ever should be confronted with this TM 28/30 issue personally, I would be glad to pay "the fine", but not forgetting to tell the "Immigration-Officer" in no uncertain terms that I would be out of the Kingdom within 48 hours, along with my money.

The point: Enough is enough. I do not need to live in Thailand.

Cheers.

When you leave and exit the Kingdom with the money do you seriously believe the value of the Bht will drop if so please leave soon !

When you leave and exit the Kingdom with the money do you seriously believe the value of the Bht will drop if so please leave soon !

I think that once he's left he could not care less about the value of the baht, unlike you.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

Doesn't this belong in the Farang Pub Creative Imagination Forum?

Jumping up, falling back, running off, shouting, startled, driving off. Sounds like someone's been watching too many action hero cartoons, envisioning himself as the hero who strikes fear wherever he goes.

"I told him that I was filming him taking a photo of my Passport and that I would be taking the film to my Embassy.

He jumped up , fell backwards and quickly ran off, shouting threats about the consequences of what will happen the next time he sees me in town .

A few months later , I went to the immigration office to get a visa extension , as I walked into the office , the same immigration guy was sat at his desk .

He recognised me and looked startled and concerned .

He wouldnt look at me, he picked the papers up from his desk, walked out the office , into his car and drove off ."

I am in Chiang mai, if you would like to come and watch the video ?

Come and see for yourself .

Do you want too ?

You should post the video on YouTube...... But the danger is then the local immigration office would then possibly make life hell for you.... Unless you could edit the video and block out their faces...... People need to be warned of the scum who pull these scams Edited by Karlo

That's quite a funny story you got there !!

What do you think they could have done with your papers, i mean if you're not overstaying i don't see what they could have possibly done ... ?

That's quite a funny story you got there !!

What do you think they could have done with your papers, i mean if you're not overstaying i don't see what they could have possibly done ... ?

I think he posted the same story last year. But he had different GF.

Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses According to section 38 of the 1979

That word "businesses" surely does not apply to family and friends... common sense must prevail.

I think there's an error there: "common sense must prevail"........ and where are we?

{snipped}

Do they , immigration really track all your movements ?

Is there a central immigration where all this information goes to and someones logging it all?

It would be a colossal amount of information to log and it would be out of date on a daily basis .

There would be 100 000s of tourists all at Bangkok immigration asking for and filling out and handing in TM30s on a daily basis

I understand that there is a database that the hotels feed into - can't confirm that.

The point is that is yours, or somebody else's responsibility to advise your whereabouts to immigration.

Their systems are becoming sharper and a scan of your passport will reveal your immigration history. They will become more sophisticated as time progresses. They started well back but are definitely progressing.

Regarding the database, and the system becoming sharper.

Going back five years plus, I worked for a company renting out houses to tourists. After a lot of hassle and a long wait, they were accepted to use the online system to registers foreigners renting the houses.

When logging in to the system to enter details, it was possible to wander round the system and look at just about any other details. I remember being able to list details of illegal foreigners detained.

I'm sure it's more secure now. I hope so anyway.

The house holder needs to report your residence there by submitting a TM30 form.

Plenty are being fined for not doing this.

You have seen or heard this first hand?

Certainly hasnt happened around my way in Phuket.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/895701-800-baht-fine-for-thai-wife-not-reporting-at-korat-immigration/?p=10431360&hl=tm30

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/885607-what-is-the-story-tm-30/?p=10295297&hl=tm30

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/874807-fined-800-baths-for-30-days-extension-of-tourist-visa/?p=10136281&hl=tm30

Edited by Eclipse