A home visit from an immigration officer

That's quite a funny story you got there !!

What do you think they could have done with your papers, i mean if you're not overstaying i don't see what they could have possibly done ... ?

I think that he was just looking for any irregularities, so that I would pay him off.

He could have arrested me if I was on an overstay,

He asked why I hadnt done a 90 report and that I face a big fine for not doing my 90 day report .

I told him that as I am on a tourist visa, I leave Thailand every 90 days , so I dont have to do a 90 day report .

He also told me that foreigners have to report to the immigration office and tell them everytime they move to a new place and that hotels and guest houses are required to submit the names of all guests who are staying there every night and as my gfs family hadnt informed immigration that I was staying there , they would get a fine as well

I think that he was just looking for any irregularities, so that I would pay him off.

He could have arrested me if I was on an overstay,

He asked why I hadnt done a 90 report and that I face a big fine for not doing my 90 day report .

I told him that as I am on a tourist visa, I leave Thailand every 90 days , so I dont have to do a 90 day report .

He also told me that foreigners have to report to the immigration office and tell them everytime they move to a new place and that hotels and guest houses are required to submit the names of all guests who are staying there every night and as my gfs family hadnt informed immigration that I was staying there , they would get a fine as well

They are right about that last part. Your GF or someone from the family do need to inform immigration of your presence.

• Like 1

He was correct about the last part.

+1

800 Baht in most cases.

I hope you never need an extension, they will be all over you like a rash.

Did you not read the end bit ?

I went to the immigration office a few months later and got a tourist visa extension and the same immigration officer was sat there and he quickly made for the exit door .

+1

800 Baht in most cases.

I went to the immigration office a few months later and got a tourist visa extension and the same immigration officer was sat there and he quickly made for the exit door .

I mean a proper extension, a 12 month extension.

You will probably get a cavity search biggrin.png

+1

800 Baht in most cases.

I mean a proper extension, a 12 month extension.

You will probably get a cavity search biggrin.png

Just after it happened , many people on a forum were saying that I was in big trouble now, I would get flagged, have hassle when I next to to immigration , blacklisted and so on.

But absolutly nothing happened, no comebacks or anything .

• Like 1

So, I can't visit Thai family hous ewithout reporting it to someone? I rarely stay with them, just stay during the day and go to some hotel or resort.

This is one of the reasons why I consider leaving after 16 years. I bored of all the nonsense here.

Not that they have ever bothered me with anything. Not once anyone has come to the house to ask anything. And I prefer it that way.

Does this TM 30 procedure also apply to Farangs, that have a Yellow House Book ?

Cheers.

swissie, the tabien baan has nothing to do with it. It is about you going away - or, more accurately, returning after being away.

Rules say if you go away somewhere the hotel records your occupancy for, say, one week. After that immigration don't know where you are until either the next hotel reports you OR you go home - in which case the housekeeper reports by way of TM30.

Nobody bothers but the rules say that if you and the missus go to Chiang Mai for the weekend, she should submit a TM 30 on your return.

Logic says that you have submitted a TM6 arrival card showing the address at which you will stay. I think it is reasonable to assume that you are there, unless somebody reports you as being elsewhere.

• Like 1

Does this TM 30 procedure also apply to Farangs, that have a Yellow House Book ?

Cheers.

swissie, the tabien baan has nothing to do with it. It is about you going away - or, more accurately, returning after being away.

Rules say if you go away somewhere the hotel records your occupancy for, say, one week. After that immigration don't know where you are until either the next hotel reports you OR you go home - in which case the housekeeper reports by way of TM30.

Nobody bothers but the rules say that if you and the missus go to Chiang Mai for the weekend, she should submit a TM 30 on your return.

Logic says that you have submitted a TM6 arrival card showing the address at which you will stay. I think it is reasonable to assume that you are there, unless somebody reports you as being elsewhere.

Do they , immigration really track all your movements ?

Is there a central immigration where all this information goes to and someones logging it all?

It would be a colossal amount of information to log and it would be out of date on a daily basis .

There would be 100 000s of tourists all at Bangkok immigration asking for and filling out and handing in TM30s on a daily basis

• Like 2

Cheers.

Is there a central immigration where all this information goes to and someones logging it all?

It would be a colossal amount of information to log and it would be out of date on a daily basis .

There would be 100 000s of tourists all at Bangkok immigration asking for and filling out and handing in TM30s on a daily basis

I understand that there is a database that the hotels feed into - can't confirm that.

The point is that is yours, or somebody else's responsibility to advise your whereabouts to immigration.

Their systems are becoming sharper and a scan of your passport will reveal your immigration history. They will become more sophisticated as time progresses. They started well back but are definitely progressing.

Cheers.

The vast majority of tourists stay in hotels/guest houses whose staff do the TM30 reports on line.

• Like 1

So, I can't visit Thai family hous ewithout reporting it to someone? I rarely stay with them, just stay during the day and go to some hotel or resort.

This is one of the reasons why I consider leaving after 16 years. I bored of all the nonsense here.

Not that they have ever bothered me with anything. Not once anyone has come to the house to ask anything. And I prefer it that way.

The "problem" is that some people enjoy inflating what they deem a "problem" beyond any sense or reason.

Who suggested/told that you cannot visit a Thai family without making a "report".

I suspect you made that up !

When will you be leaving ?

I think it's possible that Onni4me did not make anything up, what reason would he have to do that?

Don't you know that Immigration officers make up some of their own rules? TiT.