Living offgrid with small solar system(s)

George Harmony

George by now it will have occurred to you that water batteries have a limited use. Agreed that they are easy to use and replenish and are capable of driving an LED or two. I think it's time for you to move up the battery social ladder. have a look at this:-

http://www.earthineer.com/blog/29533/the-idiot-edison-battery-diy

and see if you can make it work. Although it is described as the idiot edison battery it is actually quite idiot proof. The materials are readily obtainable and there is no great engineering skill involved in putting it together. It is clearly a George type battery.

@muhendis,

Interesting indeed. There are other examples using graphene with similar results as:

Overall, have been surprised how much these cells behave like Ultracapacitors in terms of both charge rate and then cutoff. I am beginning to wonder if a "hybrid" between the two technologies may be possible?

I sure will try later. First im experimenting with (water) batteries cause these do not need charging but refreshing electrolyte and/or replacing electrodes.

And @naam, my shed nearly finished and roof will be covered totally later with solar panels. Just a village style humble shed but its more cheaper if i did finish it totally with bricks only. BUT, forbidden to build such in your moo-bahn??

Hi Guys. haven't been following the latest here for many days and smiled at the friendly banter happening. Means you are all well. smile.png

Also smiled at the tricks that cameras can do. e.g. just look at the leaning walls in George's new extensions. What kind of liquid lunches do you give them George. rolleyes.gif

looking at the "more cheaper" workmanship i think George serves his labourers a mixture of battery acid adulterated with denaturated spirit. laugh.png

This worker was the past week all alone and did finish the tiles and plastered rather thick some walls. Indonesian way of building walls ???

Few more days to go its time to concentrate for the water powered lamps for this small unit.

And @naam, my shed nearly finished and roof will be covered totally later with solar panels. Just a village style humble shed but its more cheaper if i did finish it totally with bricks only. BUT, forbidden to build such in your moo-bahn??

Hi Guys. haven't been following the latest here for many days and smiled at the friendly banter happening. Means you are all well. smile.png

Also smiled at the tricks that cameras can do. e.g. just look at the leaning walls in George's new extensions. What kind of liquid lunches do you give them George. rolleyes.gif

looking at the "more cheaper" workmanship i think George serves his labourers a mixture of battery acid adulterated with denaturated spirit. laugh.png

This worker was the past week all alone and did finish the tiles and plastered rather thick some walls. Indonesian way of building walls ???

Few more days to go its time to concentrate for the water powered lamps for this small unit.

post-177483-0-29678200-1468742086_thumb.

post-177483-0-48460400-1468742109_thumb.

• Like 1

Installing tiles in a bathroom/shower cabin (1x1m) and yesterday late in the afternoon heavy rain and dark. Worker asked for a lamp.

Tested another usb lamp and asked the worker if its bright enough. He answered that its brighter than a petroleum lamp.

The battery i used was weak (under 1v) and it seems that the stepup module did not output to 4-5v. Must remark that i did not solder the wires. Just quickly tied it up.

Its now time to concentrate how i can charge a 1.2v aa rechargeable battery with a water battery.

post-177483-0-44287200-1469083119_thumb.

@naam,

You find it cheap workmanship but i think this worker deseves a thumpUp.

Last 2.5 weeks he worked all alone, bricks, plumbing, plastering and tiles. Finishing touch begins. When its ready perhaps it can compete with a lot of houses in pattaya ????

Ordered some parts voor the planned lamps. Keep you informed of this planned water powered lamps for this small new unit

post-177483-0-13195300-1469440676_thumb.

• Like 1

the workmanship looks ok, but the designer of the tiles should be castrated to prevent him to procreate.

meanwhile in Pattaya a "joule thief" working hard converting 137 volts to 213 volts to run a few airconditioners:

post-35218-0-72482100-1469441557_thumb.j

• Like 1

Naam.

Where did you find 137 volts?

I've been looking for some for ages........

they entered my home on the "blue" phase but disappeared about 45 minutes later. if they reappear shall i save some for you?

Wow!

Can you do that for me?

I thought you were going to say "45 degrees later"

tomorrow i will build a trap disguised as solar powered do-it-yourself-icetray-battery with USB fans, SATA and HDMI outlets. after catching some i will send them by email attachment. but you have to tell me how many you want.

I would like 30k joules but only if you can guarantee no harm to humans and animals and also only if any tiles used pass muster.

sorry, joules are only available in odd quantities. if you insist on even quantities i have special offers on nano- and picofarads. as packing is expensive i'll throw in a pound of megohms to compensate for higher cost.

note: all deliveries come with free USB fan and saltwater powered LEDs!

Naam

30k Joules is an extremely odd quantity but if you are unable to manage that then I guess I will have to settle for 26.2kJ but the container must be clearly marked 7ah. Also I would appreciate the joule supply to be in NiFe with a mix-on-site electrolyte of potassium hydroxide together with a dash of Lithium hydroxide. I truly appreciate your kind offer of a few small supercapacitors but they are not required on this occasion, however, megohms would be most welcome in view of the small current available from the free salt water battery (+LEDs).

• 2 weeks later...

you can make jokes about usb gadgets and perhaps look down at it but im content with it. Will use as much as possible like as per attached pict.

For further experimenting with water batteries i still do not have time till now, too bussy with other things but i think its possible to feed some usb gadgets. If its ready i sure will keep you informed.

PS_20160808131918.jpg

• Like 1

and im convinced that instead or petroleum lamps a package like this is enough for for example a bedroom of many village houses without a mercedes in front of their door and also for many (bed)rooms in houses in a small village like pattaya. A reading lamp, a lightbulb and a fan. To charge with a small solar panel is easy. To charge the powerbank(s) with waterbatteries it will be a challange.

WP_20160808_14_24_04_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I had a quick look at the simpliphipower site but failed to see anything new there. It seems to be extolling the virtues of the control electronics rather than in the chemistry of the battery. Have a look at this innovation:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/how-lithium-metal-doubles-the-energy-density-of-rechargeable-batteries/ This is an old (failed) technology which has been revisited with a successful outcome.

Also you might like to take a look at http://aquionenergy.com/

Don't be deceived by the salt water description. these are actually sodium ion batteries. They are not to be confused with Georges salt water top up batteries. They are good but when I enquired about them they worked out to be 7 times the cost of FLA batteries so at this time they are priced out of my market.

• 2 weeks later...

been lately bussy with other things so i have to apologize for my promises to keep you updated.

wow jingjoe, goodluck with all your panels. Great. Keep us updated pls.

like @muhendis im very interested in batteries. Now im also interested in small capacity batteries especially the 18650 batteries.

i think i can do my inside house lighting with 18650 type of batteries. Made in the mean time my own powerbank(s) and hope to be able to charge a 18650 with (salt)water soon.

example of my testing, see pict. When fully charged the usb 5watt led lamp burns more than 3 hours. How about if i use 3-4 in paralell...... Charging done by 10wp panel with step down module and 6v panel 3wp.

PS_20160923143926.jpg

On 9/21/2016 at 7:25 PM, Jing Joe said:

Hi folks.  Havent been looking here lately.       Been very busy installing 18 solar panels. 250 W each and HEAPS of power coming in.

Hope you are all doing well.   Just passing by and will look closer tomorrow. Regards all.

Good to see you are still of this world Jing Joe. How have you arranged your panels and will you be charging batteries for night time power?

Hi George. Looking at your setup it seems that you have a couple of Chinese buck dc-dc converters which are 1) charging the battery and 2) dropping the voltage to drive the LED lights. Please tell me I got this wrong because the battery is a lithium ion battery and would live longer if you stop charging it when it is full and, more importantly, stop taking power from it when it has reached a critical level of discharge. In addition to this the battery you are using has an amp hour rating of somewhere in the region of 1.5 to 3.5 ah. Assuming you discharge to 20% of the capacity then you will need to charge it with a source capable of (in the case of 1.5 ah the lower end of the range) 1.2Amps for one hour or 600mA for two hours or 300mA for 4 hours and so on. Check the power that your salt water batteries can deliver. Also if the salt water batteries drop below the voltage of the 18650 battery then the salt water battery will drain power from the 18650 and could kill it. A solution to the last problem is a diode in series with the  charging circuit.

after testing several usb modules i have choosen for this one with also output which is controlled. I mean discharge protection at 2.5v. Ive been reading about 18650 types of batteries and if im not mistaken this type regulates itself. Overcharging and discharging.

Not to stress the battery its indeed better not to charged full.

above module works like a charge controller. When more amps coming in its no problem to load, remaining amps will charge the bat :)

and this module i bought for under 1.5usd :)

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_4120829_c2ae525c-e326-11e3-afae-1f4c2523fab8.jpg

@Muhendis,

according to batteryuniversity:

The Li ion charger is a voltage-limiting device that has similarities to the lead acid system. The differences with Li-ion lie in a higher voltage per cell, tighter voltage tolerances and the absence of trickle or float charge at full charge. While lead acid offers some flexibility in terms of voltage cut off, manufacturers of Li-ion cells are very strict on the correct setting because Li-ion cannot accept overcharge. The so-called miracle charger that promises to prolong battery life and gain extra capacity with pulses and other gimmicks does not exist. Li-ion is a “clean” system and only takes what it can absorb.

Lithium-ion operates safely within the designated operating voltages; however, the battery becomes unstable if inadvertently charged to a higher than specified voltage. Prolonged charging above 4.30V on a Li-ion designed for 4.20V/cell will plate metallic lithium on the anode. The cathode material becomes an oxidizing agent, loses stability and produces carbon dioxide (CO2). The cell pressure rises and if the charge is allowed to continue, the current interrupt device (CID) responsible for cell safety disconnects at 1,000–1,380kPa (145–200psi). Should the pressure rise further, the safety membrane on some Li-ion bursts open at about 3,450kPa (500psi) and the cell might eventually vent with flame

here is the different types of 18650 discharge description/explanations. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion