Living offgrid with small solar system(s)

George Harmony

It was my intention to persuade him to start with solar for his lighting in addition or supplementary to his grid lighting. Especially for spaces like a bathroom/toilet its very irritating when there is an outage and you are in the middle of "stinky stinky" hehehehee

to flush away "stinky stinkies", have TVs, computers, fans, a microwave and some lighting going one doesn't need a solar setup. this is one of my four grid-charged systems:

post-35218-0-93699400-1457173447_thumb.j

Edited by Naam

Did i give him a good advice or not?

He said its irritating when there's an outage. He wants to ADD to his grid lighting solar powered leds to his toilet/bathroom, 1 bedroom and his living room.

I advised him to buy a cheap 20wp system with 7ah battery. In thailand it will cost roughly not yet 2000bht, incl battery.

Average use per day

3watt led x 2 hours bedroom = 6wh

3watt led x 1 hour bathroom = 3wh

5watt led x 6 hours liv room = 30wh

Total 39 watt hours.

20wp panel x 5 hours per day = 100watts. Loss 50% = 50wh

What the panel produces can easily be stored in a 7ah deep cycle battery enough for his average daily use.

So, for the total cost equivalent to some ladydrinks and perhaps also a barfine he can enjoy 3 lights for many years hahahahaha......

Did i advice him well??

Most 3W LED's are only going to make 240-300 lumens, which really isn't much light... Even my small guest bathroom (2m x 2.5M) has 18W of LED panel lights, and it feels a little dim in there. Low wattage/lumens works well outdoors in the garden, and around the house, but inside people generally want more brightness.

I just can't see 3W on the bathroom producing the desired result. 6W in the bedroom, assuming it's standard 4-5M square is probably under-done too - my guess is you'll want to double that.

Assuming it's not a huge living room, 30W of LED there could be OK though.

to flush away "stinky stinkies", have TVs, computers, fans, a microwave and some lighting going one doesn't need a solar setup. this is one of my four grid-charged systems:

attachicon.gifInverter.JPG

Looking good Naam. Hope you have plenty of fume extractors.

it goes without saying that each in-house system, respectively its enclosure is properly ventilated by 12V fans. does not apply to my "pumphouse" which is naturally ventilated.

I just can't see 3W on the bathroom producing the desired result. 6W in the bedroom, assuming it's standard 4-5M square is probably under-done too - my guess is you'll want to double that.

more than enough for a "stinky stinky" laugh.png

Above i wrote that the 12volt lamps are in addition or supplementary to his grid lighting which he can use permanently. When there is a power outage its then not dark during his "stinky stinky" in the toilet with 3 watt led bulb.

Here is a vid of 3 and 5 watt led bulbs. Pitty i could not find an example of a 12volt led tube of 3watts which i myself use for my toilet. If i have time i will make a vid of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YUXfWSxDUvc

Above i wrote that the 12volt lamps are in addition or supplementary to his grid lighting which he can use permanently. When there is a power outage its then not dark during his "stinky stinky" in the toilet with 3 watt led bulb.

Here is a vid of 3 and 5 watt led bulbs. Pitty i could not find an example of a 12volt led tube of 3watts which i myself use for my toilet. If i have time i will make a vid of it.

Oh, these are emergency lights? If so, why the expense of solar?

Just buy some of these, and relocate the lamps to where you want them :)

1029712.jpg

If you're happy with it, good for you I guess ;)

I have a collection of 3W corn bulbs sitting in a box - they are the ones I started with in various places around my house, but they have all now been upgraded so I could achieve 'normal' light levels. I'm just not ready to make the compromise to have a low-power house :(

While we are talking about my nabor ive just talked with him as he passed my house. Today he go look for ledbulbs with buildin battery which will burn automaticly when there is no power.

Perhaps he did read thaivisa and follows your advice, also for his stinky stinky....

post-177483-0-04049400-1457235032_thumb.

Edited by George Harmony

@muhendis, those with grid connection do not have to make big investmment for their (backup) lighting since there are different kind of such bulbs with different wattages.

For myself i plan to buy next week a bigger battery. Ive heard that its wise to connect batteries of the same type, when its new or same age and from the same branche. What are the consequences if i connnect later (lets say after 3months) another battery only with the same ah but from another factory/branche?

Edited by George Harmony

@naam,

I see your ups system. Do you use fla batteries INSIDE your house?? If yes, is there a kind of ventilation to let possible dangerous gasses flow outside your house or is it not necessary?

what part of my posting needs an explanation George? huh.png

"it goes without saying that each in-house system, respectively its enclosure is properly ventilated by 12V fans. does not apply to my "pumphouse" which is naturally ventilated."

@muhendis, those with grid connection do not have to make big investmment for their (backup) lighting since there are different kind of such bulbs with different wattages.

For myself i plan to buy next week a bigger battery. Ive heard that its wise to connect batteries of the same type, when its new or same age and from the same branche. What are the consequences if i connnect later (lets say after 3months) another battery only with the same ah but from another factory/branche?

It is essential that you use batteries of the same capacity when making up a battery bank. This ensures even drain on each battery. It is also important that you use batteries of the same model number from the same manufacturer. The reason I say that is because one manufacturer will use different materials and plate construction to another and this will affect their charge/discharge characteristics. If you can get batteries that were made around the same time then that is a plus although not too important. The way a battery is manufactured is to assemble the plates and plastic containers complete with the top cover. The batteries are then left on the shelf pending receipt of an order for them. Once an order is received acid is added to the battery and it is put on charge to 100% (SG 1.27). So when the shop receives the battery it is ready for service. Unfortunately the shop may not sell the battery for a few weeks or months and they probably won't maintain the charge on it. The longer the battery sits on the shelf the more charge it losses due to internal resistance. This causes a build up of sulphate which will be noticeable after three months and will affect the capacity of the battery. This can be sorted quite easily by giving all your batteries a desulfation cycle to bring them all to their best. A desulfation cycle is the same as a controlled over charge. Your pulse desulfator may do this for you. Please let us know if it works.

@muhendis, thanks for your reply.

@naam, i asked that cause i saw an indonesian example of someone who stored fla batteries inside a cabinet inside his house but with direct ventilation also from that cabinet to outside. He have a similar setup but in combination with solar charging.

Youtube indonesian language:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iCFwHs5fyD8

post-177483-0-22454700-1457281764_thumb.

Ref that lightbulbs with batteries which a nabor intend to buy:

I had three of those in my previous rented house and within few months they were all kaput. I assume that such bulbs, also other emergency lamps, do not have a decent overcharge & discharge protection. A cheap solar system like described above may thus be cheaper in the long term or in case of frequent outages even in short term.

I was also interested in them 'til I read this. The price is way over the top considering what's in them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2546665/At-A-bulb-WONT-power-cut.html

These are more realistically priced but I'm mindful of Georges comments re. life expectancy.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/rechargeable-led-bulb

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/led-bulb-with-backup-battery.html

BTW Just had a five days of little sun and the battery is a little low.

So grateful to have 1000W wind back up peaking up to 2000W at the moment.

So the sun is probably ultimately causing temp differences across the land and creating the winds.

Also received 6 panels of 20wp each. Why not 1 of 120wp? Plan to make a kind of an outside cabinet and will try to make the roof with only these panels. Expect 6 more panels. Just a little more work for paralel connection but good learning process for me :) ....when i finally reach 300wp+ , i think i have enough to run all the appliances like in the 2 youtube examples i posted b4. Ofcourse also depending of the battery capacity.

A good start.

post-177483-0-65069000-1457432331_thumb.

BTW Just had a five days of little sun and the battery is a little low.

So grateful to have 1000W wind back up peaking up to 2000W at the moment.

So the sun is probably ultimately causing temp differences across the land and creating the winds.

pictures please Joe!

Jing Joe just reminded me about wind turbines. I just happen to be in the process of building mine at the moment although sadly there are other priorities that are taking precedence at the moment. My turbine is based on the Hugh Piggott design. When completed it should be capable of something like 3KW in a stiff breeze.

If anyone is into DIY wind turbines you could jook at these websites for inspiration.

http://scoraigwind.co.uk/

https://www.scoraigwind.com/pirate%20oldies/Hugh%20Piggott%20Axial-flow%20PMG%20wind%20turbine%20May%202003.pdf

• Like 1

Jing Joe just reminded me about wind turbines. I just happen to be in the process of building mine at the moment although sadly there are other priorities that are taking precedence at the moment. My turbine is based on the Hugh Piggott design. When completed it should be capable of something like 3KW in a stiff breeze.

If anyone is into DIY wind turbines you could jook at these websites for inspiration.

http://scoraigwind.co.uk/

https://www.scoraigwind.com/pirate%20oldies/Hugh%20Piggott%20Axial-flow%20PMG%20wind%20turbine%20May%202003.pdf

Good on ya M. Just a quick scan and I noticed it is 5 phase. Great. Mine is single phase and a big design mistake by Hummer. They say it is quiet but they are the biggest liars in the W.G. manufacturing industry. Apparently others are not far behind them.

There is a barely noticeable cogging effect just turning the hub without blades attached, but with charging current in the coils, the magnetic reaction between the super magnets and the poles is increased greatly, they all happen at the same time (single phase) and the mechanical shock is transferred to the stator. This loud humming transfers to the pole which is sooo noisy. Try 200 metres away.

Many a dissatisfied HUMMER owner has tried to silence this. Most try to deaden the pole. I cleverly bolted a 6 foot flat truck spring horizontally and centrally underneath the stator mount near the yaw bearing, then mounted a lead filled 16kg (of RHS 4" x 2") weight on each end. This stopped a lot of vibration but at certain rpm there is resonance happening like moaning. Still cant run at night.

Anyone contemplating W.G. please read all reports by owners and former distributors/agents of this brand. If you complain to Hummer they start all over again asking what is your set-up, you must be doing something wrong. Owners have even traveled to their factory to complain and they have beautiful sales ladies to calm them to no avail, no satisfaction.

There are many many good reports flooding the internet for Hummer but they all come from them.

I was looking for the slip rings on M's Hugh Piggot's design. The Hummer slip rings at the yaw bearing are soo inadequate and no wonder they say dont apply the electric brake (shorting switch) in a good wind. It will fry! About 5 very fine gold plated brass springs.. I replaced all this with 3 sets of auto alternator brush sets (120 degrees separation) to just one matching alternator slip ring. No slip ring and brushes can be good design too if you can get the cable to come down the very centre of the yaw mount and pole. Every year check for cable twists at the terminal block/connections at the base of the mast. KISS again.

But even though this Hummer model is 1kw, it often peaks just below 2kw. The tail furls in such winds.

Edited by Jing Joe