What is it like to teach in the lower three as a farang?

Rhys

I understand what you mean now after I typed up about Prathom 1-3.

I taught in Narathiwat for a year and loved it. At first you'll feel uneasy about all the soldiers and police on the streets but after a short time you tend to ignore them.

Although there's been a spike in the violence recently I'd go back to live in Pattani or Narathiwat at the drop of a hat. Yala, I never liked the feel of though.

Go for it and enjoy. You'll see that people don't tend to let the violence intrude into their lives, they go out and enjoy themselves.

Thinking about a position at a college in Narathiwat... thanks for the insight

I lived down the deep South for many years, you're fairly safe in the provincial capitals but it is dodgy out in the countryside. Agree Pattani & Nara have an edge on Yala. Yala is the South's only landlocked province, so no beaches, whereas both Patt & Nara have nice beaches, also both cities have fairly lively nightlife considering they are predominantly Muslim areas. I would caution against taking trips out of the cities after dark. If you need some extra weekend nightlife & partying then HatYai is not far away.

Thinking about a position at a college in Narathiwat... thanks for the insight

I lived down the deep South for many years, you're fairly safe in the provincial capitals but it is dodgy out in the countryside. Agree Pattani & Nara have an edge on Yala. Yala is the South's only landlocked province, so no beaches, whereas both Patt & Nara have nice beaches, also both cities have fairly lively nightlife considering they are predominantly Muslim areas. I would caution against taking trips out of the cities after dark. If you need some extra weekend nightlife & partying then HatYai is not far away.

Yes, I agree with you about nightlife. In Nara there was only two bars I ever went to. The one behind the prison was quite popular with Muslims as they were less likely to be spotted.

Leaving the city after dark isn't a good idea. I lived outside the city but I had an army checkpoint 50 metres from the gated road leading to my home. Luckily the house came with a day & nightshift pack of dogs to protect the area. The gardener had to cage one lot and release the others before going home - all for 5000 a month. The best value ever in Thailand.

I have traveled in the Deep South a great deal and have been monitoring the security situation there for a long time. I have yet to hear of any foreigners having been among the casualties related to the insurgency, with the exception of one Chinese national who was probably mistaken for a Thai-Buddhist.

I teach university in Songkhla Town and about half of my students are from the three southernmost provinces or the four districts of Songkhla claimed by the insurgents. They are fine and the ones who can speak Malayu have a definite advantage over the Thai speakers in picking up English because their native tongue is not tonal and shares more phonemes with English than Thai.

At the risk of stereotyping, I would also say the Thai Malay-Muslim students have a slightly better work ethic -- even though it's a constant struggle to keep students focused on the task at hand in this age of digital gadgets and information overload.

It goes without saying that nobody knows what the future holds, but in terms of overall personal safety and security for a foreign teacher, I think Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat are just as safe as anywhere else in Thailand -- with the possible exception of places like Phuket and Pattaya, which are statistically more dangerous.

Another advantage is that foreigners are still a novelty in the region and you can really get the good, old-fashioned Thai hospitality that is so sadly lacking in places that are overrun with foreign tourists.

The only setback might be the nightlife/social situation. If you require an 'expat scene' you won't find one in Narathiwat, but the nightlife is actually pretty good if you don't mind going local.

Anyway, best of luck with whatever path you choose to follow...

"I teach university in Songkhla Town and about half of my students are from the three southernmost provinces or the four districts of Songkhla claimed by the insurgents. They are fine and the ones who can speak Malayu have a definite advantage over the Thai speakers in picking up English because their native tongue is not tonal and shares more phonemes with English than Thai."

That explains it perfectly. Thanks Phuketsub for simplifying the reason why the Muslim students seem better at speaking English.

I have traveled in the Deep South a great deal and have been monitoring the security situation there for a long time. I have yet to hear of any foreigners having been among the casualties related to the insurgency, with the exception of one Chinese national who was probably mistaken for a Thai-Buddhist.

I teach university in Songkhla Town and about half of my students are from the three southernmost provinces or the four districts of Songkhla claimed by the insurgents. They are fine and the ones who can speak Malayu have a definite advantage over the Thai speakers in picking up English because their native tongue is not tonal and shares more phonemes with English than Thai.

At the risk of stereotyping, I would also say the Thai Malay-Muslim students have a slightly better work ethic -- even though it's a constant struggle to keep students focused on the task at hand in this age of digital gadgets and information overload.

It goes without saying that nobody knows what the future holds, but in terms of overall personal safety and security for a foreign teacher, I think Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat are just as safe as anywhere else in Thailand -- with the possible exception of places like Phuket and Pattaya, which are statistically more dangerous.

Another advantage is that foreigners are still a novelty in the region and you can really get the good, old-fashioned Thai hospitality that is so sadly lacking in places that are overrun with foreign tourists.

The only setback might be the nightlife/social situation. If you require an 'expat scene' you won't find one in Narathiwat, but the nightlife is actually pretty good if you don't mind going local.

Anyway, best of luck with whatever path you choose to follow...

Just above your province.. will look at PSU Pattani, if I can ever locate the correct person..

Cheers thanks for the insights.. especially on the tonal advantage for the Muslin students, I have found many of the female Muslim students excellent in term of fluency and tone.. It is a bit 50/50 with being on task.. and cell phones..

In interviewing for the college and the program.. I was always of the guiding philosophy, if they can understand me 50%.. I accept them to the program... It must have been challenging to live down deep south.. comments were, I wanted to study in a more safe environment.. that was it, I accepted in to the program..most of the time.

I don't require the night life.. Resigned to staying close by campus and making myself invisible...

Thanks for the insights.

Archived