Anyone Had Experience Of Corrupt Thai Police?

ling men

During a recent trip to Thailand I hired a car for a couple of days from Avis on Wireless Road. After quite a stressful return journey (lost in Bangkok for three hours) I eventually found Wireless Road, and then got pulled over by a policeman who was standing at the side of the road. He asked to see my drivers license, so I got out of the car, went to the boot (trunk) and showed him my licanse. He wasn’t too happy because it is a British paper license with no photo, so I showed him my passport. This is when the comedy began. He then said he was going to have to fine me 2000baht. I told him I had done nothing wrong. He told me that because he had pulled me over I had to pay an administration fee of 200baht.

I laughed, told him I couldn’t understand and said “ok I’ll give you 20baht”.

At first he looked confused then he laughed and said “I can’t accept that, how much do you want to give me”.

I laughed and said “20baht”.

He laughed and said “200baht”.

I laughed and said “100baht”.

I laughed and said “100baht”.

As you can tell, we were both finding this very funny, but I eventually got bored of it and said “OK I’ll give you 200baht”. I went to g/f’s window and told her to give him 100baht. As soon as the 100baht note was out of her purse he leaned in to the car, grabbed it and then stuffed it in his pocket. Then he laughed and said “thankyou vary much”. I also laughed and said “thank you very much”.

It was all very bizarre, and quite an amusing tale to tell when I got back home. Has anyone else had any similar experiences, funny or not so funny?

driving in thailand without an international licence or a thai licence is an offence of some sort .

your experience sounds pretty normal , i am surprised that avis didnt need an international licence at least from you before renting out the car, might be worth writing to avis head office wherever they are and reporting that. (the licence thing , not the fine)

driving in thailand without an international licence or a thai licence is an offence of some sort .

your experience sounds pretty normal , i am surprised that avis didnt need an international licence at least from you before renting out the car, might be worth writing to avis head office wherever they are and reporting that. (the licence thing , not the fine)

I rented a car with my passport

Budget never showed the slightest interest in my Int Licence, just my passport for rentals.

My minimal interactions with Thai traffic cops has been good, and has yet to cost me more then a smile.

If you have an accident, that's when the car rental companys will wipe you like a snotty nose, if you can't produce an Int Licence.

Ive had no problems with Thai police in my limited driving, when i was in Patpong i was blind drunk and the police was helping me to reverse out of the carpark in Kata (dino pub). Was surprised he didnt fine me for drink driving, but i did give him 100 baht to look after the car for me before going into the pub :o

How long have you got? :o

My experiences range from:

Had a B300 "fee" turning left on Petburi about 5 years ago on a turn left on red light junction :D:D:D

The then g/f said "just pay", so being a bit greener than now, did so.

To:

Reported a deception (obtaining B40000 illegally), was told that, as they had a good income from the person orchestrating the deception, unless I paid more, they would not get involved... :D

I have simply developed the gallic (although I am not French) shrug of the shoulders now.. :D

TIT :D

Edited by bkkandrew

yeah, ive been stopped driving a car with no licence or insurance.

just phoned up my uncle-in-law who is a cop, handed the phone to the cop who stopped me and then two minutes later im on my way no probs.

Edited by leftcross

just phoned up my uncle-in-law who is a cop, handed the phone to the cop who stopped me and then two minutes later im on my way no probs.

Great, that is simply great and show how respecfull you are. You understood all mate : influencial person, familly bound, non respect of the law .... What I do not understand it's you did not add active corruption to the list of offense oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops sorry I mean on the way you have to show your love for the royal thai police.

More seriously, I am still waiting to me meet a corrupt policeman. Well I got fined because I threw a ciggy in front of MBK, but I got a receipt for the fine, the my ex uncle in law (police too) told me me it was a real police receipt. On the other hand, policemen are always surprise when I go to them for asking my road (french usage, policemen should be able to help the tourist).

So , is it some crooks in the Royal Police? Certainly, but not much and anyway, what is the worst : get the money or pressure an official while he is doing his duty?

Do you know people a policeman have to pay for all : from the comkputer used to write the report up to maintenace of the motorcycle?

Great, that is simply great and show how respecfull you are. You understood all mate : influencial person, familly bound, non respect of the law .... What I do not understand it's you did not add active corruption to the list of offense oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops sorry I mean on the way you have to show your love for the royal thai police.

More seriously, I am still waiting to me meet a corrupt policeman. Well I got fined because I threw a ciggy in front of MBK, but I got a receipt for the fine, the my ex uncle in law (police too) told me me it was a real police receipt. On the other hand, policemen are always surprise when I go to them for asking my road (french usage, policemen should be able to help the tourist).

So , is it some crooks in the Royal Police? Certainly, but not much and anyway, what is the worst : get the money or pressure an official while he is doing his duty?

Do you know people a policeman have to pay for all : from the comkputer used to write the report up to maintenace of the motorcycle?

You should be ashamed, leftcross, really :o:D

It was all very bizarre, and quite an amusing tale to tell when I got back home. Has anyone else had any similar experiences, funny or not so funny?

A few months back, we were stopped at midnight with my Thai colleague after going through a red light, he was driving and well we proposed some money.

He did not accept.

According to my Thai colleague it was because an officer was present.

Well, Thaksin is gone, it should get better...

Edited by Unknown

Well, a few months back, we wre stopped at midnight with my Thai colleague after going through a red light, he was driving and well we proposed some money.

He did not accept.

So what happened. did your colleauge get a court summons instead?

MM

Well, a few months back, we wre stopped at midnight with my Thai colleague after going through a red light, he was driving and well we proposed some money.

He did not accept.

So what happened. did your colleague get a court summons instead?

MM

Right and he paid the fine. Nobody understands to these days... :o

actually i now have a police emblem sticker (courtesy of the same relative) on the front windscreen of my car so i never get stopped any more

The Thai police is not totally above justice:

Full story at:

http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?news...mp;coun_code=se

"The South Bangkok Criminal Court on 30 July 2006 sentenced Police Sergeant Major Mr. Phichai Uttha to three years and ten months imprisonment in notorious Bangkwang Central Prison, also known as Bangkok Hilton for the armed attack two years earlier on Swedish businessman Jonas Wikingskiöld and his Thai colleague Ms. Pathumchantharat.

The Wikingskiöld case has been excessively discussed all over the region in mass media including the local Thai Channel Three.

The court decision is not only Mr. Wikingskiöld´s and Ms. Pathumchantharat´s personal victory, but also a strong positive message to numerous victims of the corrupt system, both foreigners and Thai nationals."